London Banter

-   -   Electric black cabs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15803-electric-black-cabs.html)

Robin9 July 9th 18 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Someone Somewhere (Post 166384)
On 07/07/2018 07:00, John Williamson wrote:
On 06/07/2018 13:34, David Cantrell wrote:
On Wed, Jul 04, 2018 at 10:49:07AM +0100, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 04/07/2018 10:07, wrote:
I can't remember the exact speed, but at something very roughly
around 30mph
most vehicle noises comes from the tyres anyway so on high speed
roads it
won't make much difference noise wise. On rows with slow moving
traffic OTOH it
could improve residents lives immensely.
So, London then?

Traffic flows just fine in the vast majority of London, where the vast
majority of Londoners live, at about 30mph.

On the major arterial routes, outside the rush hour, you may be right.

During the rush hour, average speed from Heathrow to Hyde Park corner
can take well over an hour, for an average speed of 10 mph.

Since Boris gave us the Cycle Superhighways, one coach company based
near Tower Bridge has seen a reduction in average speeds of their
coaches from 11 mph to 5.5 mph on all routes. According to TfL figures,
on the cycle superhighway from the Tower to Westminster, journey times
for motor vehicles have increased by 6 minutes on average , and for
cyclists by a minute or so. (They have also massively* increased on the
Highway, due to the choke point introduced at the Tower of London.)

Which has also massively increased rat running on local residential
streets, increasing pollution for people who didn't suffer massively
from it before. Nice one TfL.

. . . which TfL also knew beforehand would happen.

John Williamson July 9th 18 09:08 AM

Electric black cabs

On 09/07/2018 09:37, Robin9 wrote:
Someone Somewhere;166384 Wrote:

Which has also massively increased rat running on local residential
streets, increasing pollution for people who didn't suffer massively
from it before. Nice one TfL.

. . which TfL also knew beforehand would happen.

But, hey, BoJo's two wheeled, lycra clad mates are all delighted. It's
just all the rest of us that are annoyed.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

[email protected] July 9th 18 09:11 AM

Electric black cabs

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 13:13:29 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
On 07/07/2018 12:15, wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 07:00:14 +0100
John Williamson wrote:
Since Boris gave us the Cycle Superhighways, one coach company based
near Tower Bridge has seen a reduction in average speeds of their
coaches from 11 mph to 5.5 mph on all routes. According to TfL figures,
on the cycle superhighway from the Tower to Westminster, journey times
for motor vehicles have increased by 6 minutes on average , and for
cyclists by a minute or so. (They have also massively increased on the
Highway, due to the choke point introduced at the Tower of London.)

Which they almost certainly knew would happen beforehand. IMO the cycle
highway was simply a convenient cover for restricting traffic flow to try and

keep it out of central london.

You seem to be almost as cynical as I am. ;-)

Where TfL is concerned no other attitude is suitable :)

David Cantrell July 9th 18 10:27 AM

Electric black cabs

On Fri, Jul 06, 2018 at 01:56:47PM +0100, Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 06/07/2018 13:34, David Cantrell wrote:
Traffic flows just fine in the vast majority of London, where the vast
majority of Londoners live, at about 30mph.

Yes - sections of arterial road and the north circular etc may well do,
but that's not the vast majority of London, and I would challenge anyone
outside of those roads to even do 15 miles in an hour, let alone 30.

I recommend that you explore away from the major arterial roads and away
from the centre. None of the bits of outer London that I regularly drive
through are clogged up and slow.

--
David Cantrell | even more awesome than a panda-fur coat

European immigration: making Britain great since AD43

David Cantrell July 9th 18 10:31 AM

Electric black cabs

On 04/07/2018 10:07, wrote:
I can't remember the exact speed, but at something very roughly around 30mph
most vehicle noises comes from the tyres anyway so on high speed roads it
won't make much difference noise wise. On rows with slow moving traffic OTOH it
could improve residents lives immensely.
So, London then?

Traffic flows just fine in the vast majority of London, where the vast
majority of Londoners live, at about 30mph.

Which, presumably, explains why the average speed of traffic in London
is about 8mph.

The average speed in London is *not* 8 mph. It's 8.something in
*central* London, and the average over *all* of London, including the
centre, is 19.something.

--
David Cantrell | top google result for "internet beard fetish club"

THIS IS THE LANGUAGE POLICE
PUT DOWN YOUR THESAURUS
STEP AWAY FROM THE CLICHE

John Williamson July 9th 18 12:14 PM

Electric black cabs

On 09/07/2018 11:31, David Cantrell wrote:
The average speed in London is *not* 8 mph. It's 8.something in
*central* London, and the average over *all* of London, including the
centre, is 19.something.

According to TfL, it was 7.8mph in central London, and 17.4 everywhere
else in 2017

Expect major problems over the next year or three as various bits of the
Victoria embankment get closed in one or both directions while they
update the sewer under it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry July 9th 18 12:34 PM

Electric black cabs

In message , at 13:14:59 on Mon, 9 Jul
2018, John Williamson remarked:
The average speed in London is *not* 8 mph. It's 8.something in
*central* London, and the average over *all* of London, including the
centre, is 19.something.

According to TfL, it was 7.8mph in central London, and 17.4 everywhere
else in 2017

Given the rollout of whole boroughs limited to 20mph I find the latter
figure hard to believe.

Mike Bristow July 9th 18 02:19 PM

Electric black cabs

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 13:14:59 on Mon, 9 Jul
2018, John Williamson remarked:
The average speed in London is *not* 8 mph. It's 8.something in
*central* London, and the average over *all* of London, including the
centre, is 19.something.

According to TfL, it was 7.8mph in central London, and 17.4 everywhere
else in 2017

Given the rollout of whole boroughs limited to 20mph I find the latter
figure hard to believe.

A quick glance suggests that there are _no_ boroughs that are 100%
20mph; it varies of course, but in general the "first mile" and
"last mile" roads are more likely to be 20mph and the "middle 8
miles" tend to higher.

Perhaps you could name a borough that you think is 100% 20mph and I'll
point out the roads in it which aren't.

Cheers,

--
Mike Bristow

John Williamson July 9th 18 03:20 PM

Electric black cabs

On 09/07/2018 15:19, Mike Bristow wrote:

Perhaps you could name a borough that you think is 100% 20mph and I'll
point out the roads in it which aren't.

I can't be bothered checking which ones, but while a few claim to be
completely 20mph, they all have roads which are part of the national
trunk network in them, which are at least 30mph, as they can't set the
limits on those roads, due to them being under DFT control.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Roland Perry July 9th 18 03:34 PM

Electric black cabs

In message , at 16:20:12 on Mon, 9 Jul
2018, John Williamson remarked:
Perhaps you could name a borough that you think is 100% 20mph and I'll
point out the roads in it which aren't.

I can't be bothered checking which ones, but while a few claim to be
completely 20mph, they all have roads which are part of the national
trunk network in them, which are at least 30mph,

And being trunk roads are congested enough that 8mph is a more realistic
figure.