London Banter

-   -   Electric black cabs (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15803-electric-black-cabs.html)

Robin9 July 11th 18 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland Perry (Post 166396)
In message , at 17:19:10 on Mon,
9 Jul 2018, Mike Bristow
remarked:
In article
,
In message
, at 16:20:12 on Mon, 9 Jul
2018, John Williamson
remarked:
Perhaps you could name a borough that you think is 100% 20mph and I'll
point out the roads in it which aren't.

I can't be bothered checking which ones, but while a few claim to be
completely 20mph, they all have roads which are part of the national
trunk network in them, which are at least 30mph,

And being trunk roads are congested enough that 8mph is a more realistic
figure.

Rubbish. Last time I drove on the A12 from the Green Man to Bow,
it was at the posted speed limit the whole way. And that was
at 5pm-ish, arriving at the Albert Hall at 5:45 (albeit on a Sunday).

A similar journey arriving at the National Theatre at around 6ish
on a Friday evening had a similar average speed.

But we are speaking *average* speeds, not the fastest possible.

as they can't set the limits on those roads, due to them being under
DFT control.

I'm not sure which roads are controlled by the boroughs, which by
TfL and which by the DfT; I'm just looking at the boundries of the
boroughs.

It's my understanding that TfL can veto the 20mph limit on major roads
which are bus routes, bicbw.

Old Street is a major road and a bus route, but now has a ludicrous 20mph speed limit.