London Banter

-   -   Goblin latest (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15844-goblin-latest.html)

Recliner[_3_] July 23rd 18 04:37 PM

Goblin latest

wrote:
It's a foot tunnel. I've never heard of a foot ferry in Woolwich.
Pedestrians are of course allowed on the car ferry.

There used to also be a railway-operated ferry at North Woolwich, the
burned out remains of the pier which it once served were still there a
few years ago and may still be there now, I haven’t been there recently.
It was killed off many decades ago by the mearby free ferry and foot
tunnel. I think it may have been around First World War time, but I’m not sure.

The ECR ferry service ceased in 1908, but the skeleton of the northern pier
(entirely disused since WW2) was still there three years ago when I took
this pictu
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/16953302021/in/album-72157651196745800/

Basil Jet[_4_] July 23rd 18 09:57 PM

Goblin latest

On 23/07/2018 13:41, wrote:
It's a foot tunnel. I've never heard of a foot ferry in Woolwich.
Pedestrians are of course allowed on the car ferry.

There used to also be a railway-operated ferry at North Woolwich, the burned out remains of the pier which it once served were still there a few years ago and may still be there now, I haven’t been there recently. It was killed off many decades ago by the mearby free ferry and foot tunnel. I think it may have been around First World War time, but I’m not sure.

Thanks, I have heard that and seen the pier, but had forgotten about it.

--
Basil Jet - listening... NEU!. Naked Raygun. Nearly God. Negativland.
Neil Finn. Neil Young. Neils Children. Neroche. Neutral Milk Hotel. New

Robin9 October 25th 18 09:31 AM

Eventually Goblin will be an electric-train-only service with each train having considerably more capacity than at present. If the current over-crowding during peak periods has suppressed demand, it is possible a further increase in patronage will result. This might cause a safety problem at Blackhorse Road Station where, in the late afternoon and early evening, the east bound platform is already too narrow for the large numbers of people who wait for their train.

Behind the platform is a strip of land lying idle which looks as if it belongs to the railway. Tripling the width of the platform could be accomplished without any land purchase. I wonder if TfL and Network Rail will consider this.

TfL should certainly do something about the public address system on that east bound platform. The distortion is enormous and comes through both loudspeakers. It might be something as simple as a loose wire, but it should be fixed.