London Banter

-   -   Goblin latest (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/15844-goblin-latest.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] July 18th 18 04:24 AM

Goblin latest

It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...nsport-update/

--
Basil Jet - listening to (Mi-Mz)... Michael Chapman. Michael Karoli.
Michael Nyman. Michael Rother. Mick Karn. Mick Ronson. Mickey Hart.

Recliner[_3_] July 18th 18 09:13 AM

Goblin latest

Basil Jet wrote:

It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...nsport-update/

TfL certainly has a lot of looming issues. But I'd have thought it could
redeploy some of the 315s displaced from the Shenfield line as a very
short-term GOBLIN replacement fleet. Presumably Bombardier would have to
fund this, as it's months late with the new Aventras, and it currently
maintains the 315s anyway.

[email protected] July 18th 18 09:15 AM

Goblin latest

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 05:24:29 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

Its not hard to see why this has happened when you witness the responses of
so called "professional" railway employees on here when I suggested perhaps
TfL should have ordered a few more 378s when they had the chance or perhaps BR
should have just electrified the goblin with DC decades ago. It really is no
surprise the british rail industry is an utter basket case when this is the
calibre of the people working in it.

Mike Bristow July 18th 18 09:33 AM

Goblin latest

In article ,
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...nsport-update/

TfL certainly has a lot of looming issues. But I'd have thought it could
redeploy some of the 315s displaced from the Shenfield line as a very
short-term GOBLIN replacement fleet.

Stock training the GOBLIN drivers twice is probably better than
bustitution; but are the 315s commited elsewhere?

--
Mike Bristow

Recliner[_3_] July 18th 18 09:40 AM

Goblin latest

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article
,
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...nsport-update/

TfL certainly has a lot of looming issues. But I'd have thought it could
redeploy some of the 315s displaced from the Shenfield line as a very
short-term GOBLIN replacement fleet.

Stock training the GOBLIN drivers twice is probably better than
bustitution; but are the 315s commited elsewhere?

No, they're destined for the scrapyard, but have been kept in reserve while
the TfL Rail Aventras bedded in.

It would seem to make sense for GOBLIN drivers to start being trained on
them immediately.

Anna Noyd-Dryver July 18th 18 12:22 PM

Goblin latest

Basil Jet wrote:

It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...nsport-update/

Surely there are some surplus EMUs lurking somewhere at the moment which
they could borrow for a while, as Scotrail did with the 365s?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Roland Perry July 18th 18 12:52 PM

Goblin latest

In message , at 12:22:04 on Wed, 18 Jul
2018, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:
Basil Jet wrote:

It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...k-and-crossrai
l-a-london-transport-update/

Surely there are some surplus EMUs lurking somewhere at the moment which
they could borrow for a while, as Scotrail did with the 365s?

Even more 365's, currently [a week ago anyway] at Papworth sidings?

Jonathan Amery July 18th 18 02:14 PM

Goblin latest

In article , wrote:
Its not hard to see why this has happened when you witness the responses of
so called "professional" railway employees on here when I suggested perhaps
TfL should have ordered a few more 378s when they had the chance or perhaps BR
should have just electrified the goblin with DC decades ago. It really is no
surprise the british rail industry is an utter basket case when this is the
calibre of the people working in it.

This being the TfL that's so scrapped for cash that it's mortgaging
rolling stock it hasn't finished paying for yet?

Or the DC electrification project which would have cost the taxpayer
millions and set back OHLE by half a century further?

--
Jonathan D. Amery, http://www.pick.ucam.org/~jdamery/ #####
"In the name of scientific experimentation, the varying o__#######

[email protected] July 18th 18 03:23 PM

Goblin latest

On 18 Jul 2018 15:14:44 +0100 (BST)
Jonathan Amery wrote:
In article , wrote:
Its not hard to see why this has happened when you witness the responses of
so called "professional" railway employees on here when I suggested perhaps
TfL should have ordered a few more 378s when they had the chance or perhaps

BR
should have just electrified the goblin with DC decades ago. It really is no
surprise the british rail industry is an utter basket case when this is the
calibre of the people working in it.

This being the TfL that's so scrapped for cash that it's mortgaging
rolling stock it hasn't finished paying for yet?

The 378s were ordered long before Kahn came in and froze fares.

Or the DC electrification project which would have cost the taxpayer
millions and set back OHLE by half a century further?

Half a century? Would the presense of a switched off conductor rail on a
closed for upgrade line cause some some disturbance in The Force preventing
the installation of AC overhead then? Oddly it didn't prevent most of the
rest of the NLL being converted to AC.

Jonathan Amery July 18th 18 03:32 PM

Goblin latest

Jonathan Amery wrote:
This being the TfL that's so scrapped for cash that it's mortgaging
rolling stock it hasn't finished paying for yet?

The 378s were ordered long before Kahn came in and froze fares.

Also long before there was any finalized plans to electrify the
GOBLIN in any sense; as has been described before.

Also TfL were already running low on money in the early 2010s which
would have been the latest possible time to order more 378s, and that
at a higher cost than the original units were since they'd used all
their option to buy more units.

Or the DC electrification project which would have cost the taxpayer
millions and set back OHLE by half a century further?

Half a century? Would the presense of a switched off conductor rail on a
closed for upgrade line cause some some disturbance in The Force preventing
the installation of AC overhead then? Oddly it didn't prevent most of the
rest of the NLL being converted to AC.

No, but having spent millions only 10 years ago will cause a
disturbance in the beancounters.

--
Jonathan Amery. +---------+ ________________ _________________
##### |Cambridge| |# [] ## ## [] # | | # [] ## ## [] #|

[email protected] July 19th 18 08:48 AM

Goblin latest

Jonathan Amery wrote:
This being the TfL that's so scrapped for cash that it's mortgaging
rolling stock it hasn't finished paying for yet?

The 378s were ordered long before Kahn came in and froze fares.

Also long before there was any finalized plans to electrify the
GOBLIN in any sense; as has been described before.

Not entirely true. The goblin electrification looked pretty certain in 2009
when it would have been fairly easy to roll a few more 378s off the production
line.

Also TfL were already running low on money in the early 2010s which
would have been the latest possible time to order more 378s, and that
at a higher cost than the original units were since they'd used all
their option to buy more units.

Would that cost have been more than the 710s they're ordering now? Either way,
they'd have an electric service running now if they'd ordered more 378s.
Currently they don't.

Half a century? Would the presense of a switched off conductor rail on a
closed for upgrade line cause some some disturbance in The Force preventing
the installation of AC overhead then? Oddly it didn't prevent most of the
rest of the NLL being converted to AC.

No, but having spent millions only 10 years ago will cause a
disturbance in the beancounters.

:o)

10 years ago yes, but I was referring to decades ago when the NLL was first
electrified. I have no idea why the goblin didn't have a 3rd rail put down
at the same time but if it had this problem wouldn't exist.

Robin9 July 19th 18 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 166533)
On 18 Jul 2018 16:32:34 +0100 (BST)
Jonathan Amery wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The North London Line was indeed electrified decades ago, and electric trains ran from Richmond to Broad Street. When Broad Street was closed, the 3rd rail electrification was extended to North Woolwich and the trains from Richmond were diverted to there.

During those years trains along what is now GOBLIN ran to Kentish Town and in the evenings to St. Pancras. It was a very lightly used service. When I moved to Leyton, I used it one day to visit a friend in Kentish Town. The man in the ticket office - yes, we had them in those days - asked me "why does nobody use this line?" I replied that it was because no-one knew about the service.

That is still my opinion. If the route to Kentish Town had remained open and GOBLIN had been absorbed into Thameslink, the volume of business would be far, far higher than it is today. However, the reason GOBLIN was not electrified with 3rd rail back then was because it was such a quiet backwater railway.

[email protected] July 19th 18 10:00 AM

Goblin latest

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 10:18:54 +0100
Robin9 wrote:
;166533 Wrote:
10 years ago yes, but I was referring to decades ago when the NLL was
first
electrified. I have no idea why the goblin didn't have a 3rd rail put
down
at the same time but if it had this problem wouldn't exist.

The North London Line was indeed electrified decades ago, and electric
trains ran from Richmond to Broad Street. When Broad Street was closed,
the 3rd rail electrification was extended to North Woolwich and the
trains from Richmond were diverted to there.

I've sometimes wondered why the NLL went as far as north woolwich. There's
nothing there (though that seems to be changing). Was the ferry trip over from
woolwich proper + NLL preferable to the direct train services from woolwich?

When I moved to Leyton, I used it one day to visit a friend in Kentish
Town. The man in the ticket office - yes, we have them in those days -
asked me "why does nobody use this line?" I replied that it was because
no-one knew about the service.

Some things don't change. If you look at a current tube map you'll notice
the finsbury park to moorgate line has now been removed which seems a petty
thing to do given how useful it is. Just because its not run by TfL doesn't
to me seem like a good enough excuse not to have it.

Robin9 July 19th 18 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 166535)
Robin9 wrote:
;166533 Wrote:
[...]

The extension of 3rd rail to North Woolwich was to kill two birds with one stone. At one time there was a regular service from North Woolwich to Palace Gates via Stratford, South Tottenham and Seven Sisters. When the Palace Gates branch was closed, the service was cut back to Stratford. With the planned closure of Broad Street, it was obvious to combine the two services and so trains ran from Richmond to North Woolwich.

Now, of course, the Stratford/North Woolwich section is a tram service with additional stops and 3rd rail has been replaced by overhead cables until South Acton Station.

As for the Woolwich Ferry, I don't recall many pedestrians ever using it. It was always busy with vehicles.

[email protected] July 19th 18 01:24 PM

Goblin latest

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 13:39:54 +0100
Robin9 wrote:
Now, of course, the Stratford/North Woolwich section is a tram service
with additional stops and 3rd rail has been replaced by overhead cables
until South Acton Station.

As for the Woolwich Ferry, I don't recall many pedestrians ever using
it. It was always busy with vehicles.

I didn't mean the current woolwich ferry , I remember reading somewhere
that there was a foot ferry to north woolwich that landed at a quay just
near the station.

Basil Jet[_4_] July 19th 18 04:49 PM

Goblin latest

Robin9 wrote:
Now, of course, the Stratford/North Woolwich section is a tram service
with additional stops and 3rd rail has been replaced by overhead cables
until South Acton Station.

As for the Woolwich Ferry, I don't recall many pedestrians ever using
it. It was always busy with vehicles.

I didn't mean the current woolwich ferry , I remember reading somewhere
that there was a foot ferry to north woolwich that landed at a quay just
near the station.

It's a foot tunnel. I've never heard of a foot ferry in Woolwich.
Pedestrians are of course allowed on the car ferry.

[email protected] July 20th 18 08:45 AM

Goblin latest

Robin9 wrote:
Now, of course, the Stratford/North Woolwich section is a tram service
with additional stops and 3rd rail has been replaced by overhead cables
until South Acton Station.

As for the Woolwich Ferry, I don't recall many pedestrians ever using
it. It was always busy with vehicles.

I didn't mean the current woolwich ferry , I remember reading somewhere
that there was a foot ferry to north woolwich that landed at a quay just
near the station.

It's a foot tunnel. I've never heard of a foot ferry in Woolwich.
Pedestrians are of course allowed on the car ferry.

Interesting, didn't know there was a foot tunnel at woolwich.

Paul Corfield July 20th 18 09:20 AM

Goblin latest

On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 05:24:31 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...nsport-update/

Overtaken by events. The proposed timetable change that would require the 172s to move to West Midlands Trains has been cancelled. Therefore, if necessary, the 172 could stay beyond November 2018.

Two class 710s have been moved to Willesden to ease storage issues at Derby.. Still awaiting the type approval sign off for them to actually run on NR tracks. Only then can a range of activities commence which would allow them to be used for driver training on the GOBLIN. Two more 710s may follow to Willesden but, again, only for storage at this point.

--
Paul C
via Google

Paul Corfield July 20th 18 09:24 AM

Goblin latest

On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 10:13:34 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...nsport-update/

TfL certainly has a lot of looming issues. But I'd have thought it could
redeploy some of the 315s displaced from the Shenfield line as a very
short-term GOBLIN replacement fleet. Presumably Bombardier would have to
fund this, as it's months late with the new Aventras, and it currently
maintains the 315s anyway.

No you can't redeploy 315s. They do not have body mmounted CCTV cameras so you need to either retrofit them with this kit - pointless as they going to the scrapheap. You could fit platform CCTV and monitors at stations assuming there is space - this would take many months to do and get sign off. The new trains should be in service by then. The other alternative is to have dispatching staff on every platform - seems a rather extreme thing to do and no one will have budget for it. I really can't see any of this happening plus there are still a load of issues around whether the 315s even fit on the GOBLIN, whether LO drivers are trained on the stock etc etc.

--
Paul C
via Google

Paul Corfield July 20th 18 09:29 AM

Goblin latest

Basil Jet wrote:
It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

Its not hard to see why this has happened when you witness the responses of
so called "professional" railway employees on here when I suggested perhaps
TfL should have ordered a few more 378s when they had the chance or perhaps BR
should have just electrified the goblin with DC decades ago. It really is no
surprise the british rail industry is an utter basket case when this is the
calibre of the people working in it.

As I was the person who gave you a honest answer to your past questions about the 710s vs 378s then I assume you are tarring me with your insults about "so called professional railway employees". I have always tried to give you decent and appropriate answers on here despite the abuse and insults you chuck around. I know you won't give a damn about this but I won't be bothering in future.

Must be nice to be so bloody clever that you can read the past, the present and the future and also be "right" about everything.

--
Paul C
via Google

Robin[_6_] July 20th 18 09:36 AM

Goblin latest

On 20/07/2018 09:45, wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 17:49:49 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
Robin9 wrote:
Now, of course, the Stratford/North Woolwich section is a tram service
with additional stops and 3rd rail has been replaced by overhead cables
until South Acton Station.

As for the Woolwich Ferry, I don't recall many pedestrians ever using
it. It was always busy with vehicles.

I didn't mean the current woolwich ferry , I remember reading somewhere
that there was a foot ferry to north woolwich that landed at a quay just
near the station.

It's a foot tunnel. I've never heard of a foot ferry in Woolwich.
Pedestrians are of course allowed on the car ferry.

Interesting, didn't know there was a foot tunnel at woolwich.

Though from a nostalgia-fuelled visit last year it is at times more a
cycle tunnel - and I don't mean the cyclists "scooting" their bike where
it's quiet the way they used to 60 years ago.

--
Robin

Recliner[_3_] July 20th 18 09:41 AM

Goblin latest

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 05:24:31 UTC+1, Basil Jet wrote:
It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up
bustituting for a while.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/...nsport-update/

Overtaken by events. The proposed timetable change that would require the
172s to move to West Midlands Trains has been cancelled. Therefore, if
necessary, the 172 could stay beyond November 2018.

Ah, every cloud has a silver lining!

Two class 710s have been moved to Willesden to ease storage issues at
Derby. Still awaiting the type approval sign off for them to actually run
on NR tracks. Only then can a range of activities commence which would
allow them to be used for driver training on the GOBLIN. Two more 710s
may follow to Willesden but, again, only for storage at this point.

I was wondering if TfL Rail 345s could be used for at least part of the
GOBLIN driver training? I know the software is different, but presumably
the 710s and 345s are very similar to drive, and there's no shortage of
345s waiting to go into service. If so, it could reduce the amount of
hands-on training needed on the tardy 710s.

[email protected] July 20th 18 10:26 AM

Goblin latest

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 02:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 10:13:34 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
=20
It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel=

=20
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up=20
bustituting for a while.
=20
https://www.londonreconnections.com/...-and-crossrai=

l-a-london-transport-update/
=20

=20
TfL certainly has a lot of looming issues. But I'd have thought it could
redeploy some of the 315s displaced from the Shenfield line as a very
short-term GOBLIN replacement fleet. Presumably Bombardier would have to
fund this, as it's months late with the new Aventras, and it currently
maintains the 315s anyway.

No you can't redeploy 315s. They do not have body mmounted CCTV cameras so =
you need to either retrofit them with this kit - pointless as they going to=
the scrapheap. You could fit platform CCTV and monitors at stations assum=
ing there is space - this would take many months to do and get sign off. Th=

I assume there are rules saying they can't just look out of a window when
closing the doors to check for obstructions?

[email protected] July 20th 18 10:27 AM

Goblin latest

Basil Jet wrote:
It's looking fairly likely that TfL will have to give away their diesel=

=20
trains before the electric trains are ready, and might end up=20
bustituting for a while.

=20
Its not hard to see why this has happened when you witness the responses =

of
so called "professional" railway employees on here when I suggested perha=

ps
TfL should have ordered a few more 378s when they had the chance or perha=

ps BR=20
should have just electrified the goblin with DC decades ago. It really is=

no=20
surprise the british rail industry is an utter basket case when this is t=

he=20
calibre of the people working in it.

As I was the person who gave you a honest answer to your past questions abo=
ut the 710s vs 378s then I assume you are tarring me with your insults abou=
t "so called professional railway employees". I have always tried to give y=

I wasn't thinking of you tbh. However please explain why tfl didn't order
any more 378s for the goblin when they ordered more cars for the ELL back
in 2013 when the goblin electrification had been given the go-ahead.

Paul Corfield July 20th 18 12:44 PM

Goblin latest

On Friday, 20 July 2018 10:41:18 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Well you can't run a 345 on the GOBLIN - won't fit anywhere as they're all too long. No point teaching LO drivers on the GEML as most of them will never drive it - only those working the Romminster shuttle. I also can't see anything that might interrupt the launch of Crossrail being countenanced by TfL. That's the "must happen" event of the year - only 5 and a bit months to go.

I also suspect that the 345s have different performance parameters than the 710s given the need for very rapid acceleration and braking on Crossrail plus higher speeds to run skip stop out west. Their cabs should also be different to reflect the different signalling tech that the trains work with.

I really don't think there are practical alternatives that involve short term use of "alien" rolling stock. TfL, Arriva and Bombardier simply have to get through the slog of getting the 710s into service as fast as they can. The only fall back, if the 172s have to leave, is to revert to a bus replacement service. That would be enormously embarrassing but if Bombardier cannot get the trains to work what else can be done in a short time period at minimum expense? TfL have no money to splash around on more complex and costly alternatives. The shame of it all is that an electrified line and new trains are what is needed but getting there has been painful beyond belief and an object lesson in "how not to do this".

--
Paul C
via Google

[email protected] July 20th 18 01:56 PM

Goblin latest

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 05:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
Paul Corfield wrote:
On Friday, 20 July 2018 10:41:18 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
I also suspect that the 345s have different performance parameters than the=
710s given the need for very rapid acceleration and braking on Crossrail p=
lus higher speeds to run skip stop out west. Their cabs should also be dif=
ferent to reflect the different signalling tech that the trains work with.

Is there any case for a common cab EMU control panel to be mandated so that
cross training between various stocks is less of a chore in the same way
that all airliners by airbus (don't know about boeing) tend to have the
controls in similar locations no matter what the aircraft?

Arthur Figgis July 20th 18 05:57 PM

Goblin latest

On 18/07/2018 10:40, Recliner wrote:

No, they're destined for the scrapyard, but have been kept in reserve

Oooooooh.

Oh, only Class 315s.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Graham Harrison[_4_] July 20th 18 10:55 PM

Goblin latest

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Friday, 20 July 2018 10:41:18 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
I also suspect that the 345s have different performance parameters than the=
710s given the need for very rapid acceleration and braking on Crossrail p=
lus higher speeds to run skip stop out west. Their cabs should also be dif=
ferent to reflect the different signalling tech that the trains work with.

Is there any case for a common cab EMU control panel to be mandated so that
cross training between various stocks is less of a chore in the same way
that all airliners by airbus (don't know about boeing) tend to have the
controls in similar locations no matter what the aircraft?

Just because they have similar controls doesn't mean you, the pilot,
can walk off an A320 straight onto an A380. Airbus do indeed tout
that possibility but there is a requirement for additional training if
only because of the increased weight and 4 engines. Not only that
but the differences between early A320s and the latest neo models
isn't simply a matter of new engines; display systems in the cockpits
have moved on as well.

I would suggest that the continuous evolution of control systems means
that a single cab configuration, designed now, would be seen as
obsolete quite quickly

Recliner[_3_] July 20th 18 11:05 PM

Goblin latest

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Interestingly, Southwest, the biggest buyer of 737s, has always persuaded
Boeing not to change the flight deck and controls too much as the plane has
gone through multiple generations.

Basil Jet[_4_] July 21st 18 08:48 AM

Goblin latest

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Not if Boltar was in charge, because he would have bought enough
aeroplanes for 150 years in 1903.

[email protected] July 22nd 18 08:24 AM

Goblin latest

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 23:55:57 +0100
Graham Harrison wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:56:59 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
Is there any case for a common cab EMU control panel to be mandated so that
cross training between various stocks is less of a chore in the same way
that all airliners by airbus (don't know about boeing) tend to have the
controls in similar locations no matter what the aircraft?

Just because they have similar controls doesn't mean you, the pilot,
can walk off an A320 straight onto an A380. Airbus do indeed tout

Sure, I understand that but it makes it easier.

that possibility but there is a requirement for additional training if
only because of the increased weight and 4 engines. Not only that
but the differences between early A320s and the latest neo models
isn't simply a matter of new engines; display systems in the cockpits
have moved on as well.

I would suggest that the continuous evolution of control systems means
that a single cab configuration, designed now, would be seen as
obsolete quite quickly

But you could say the same about cars and lorries, however the controls have
had the same basic layout for about 100 years now meaning with only a small
amount of familiarisation someone can jump from one road vehicle to another
and be driving it fairly quickly.

[email protected] July 22nd 18 08:27 AM

Goblin latest

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Oh do give it a rest. What exactly is the major advance in technology from
the 378s to the 710s? Very little I'd venture, perhaps a weight reduction
and thats about it. And I bet the seats in the latter will have all the
padding of concrete so will be less pleasent for passengers.

Basil Jet[_4_] July 22nd 18 09:56 AM

Goblin latest

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

You don't get to tell the entire group to **** off and then have us at
your beck and call to answer questions that you've already been given
answers to in the last six months.

Recliner[_3_] July 22nd 18 10:13 AM

Goblin latest

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

Yup, I've decided not to provide any more free education to Neil (Boltar).

[email protected] July 23rd 18 10:11 AM

Goblin latest

Paul Corfield wrote:
[...]

I've yet to here any technical details beyond "oh, they're better".

[email protected] July 23rd 18 10:13 AM

Goblin latest

On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 10:13:19 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Yup, I've decided not to provide any more free education to Neil (Boltar).

Am I supposed to be impressed? Its amazing what you can dig up from old
usenet post addresses correlated with company names isn't it as someone
demonstrated to me , oh, at least 10 years ago.

Recliner[_3_] July 23rd 18 10:46 AM

Goblin latest

Recliner wrote:
Yup, I've decided not to provide any more free education to Neil (Boltar).

Am I supposed to be impressed? Its amazing what you can dig up from old
usenet post addresses correlated with company names isn't it as someone
demonstrated to me , oh, at least 10 years ago.

Why would I try and impress you, Mr Neil J Robertson?

[email protected] July 23rd 18 11:05 AM

Goblin latest

Recliner wrote:
Yup, I've decided not to provide any more free education to Neil (Boltar).

Am I supposed to be impressed? Its amazing what you can dig up from old
usenet post addresses correlated with company names isn't it as someone
demonstrated to me , oh, at least 10 years ago.

Why would I try and impress you, Mr Neil J Robertson?

Good old companies house. No doubt if you're not too thick you've also found a
couple of my old addresses too and the name of my late stepmum bless her. Well
done. Now you're probably trying to figure out which is my profile on
facebook - I can save you the trouble, I'm not on it and there is no picture
of me anywhere on the internet. But do carry on searching since you inevitably
won't believe me.

If I wanted anonymity on here I wouldn't still be using this old handle. HTH.

[email protected] July 23rd 18 12:41 PM

Goblin latest

It's a foot tunnel. I've never heard of a foot ferry in Woolwich.
Pedestrians are of course allowed on the car ferry.

There used to also be a railway-operated ferry at North Woolwich, the burned out remains of the pier which it once served were still there a few years ago and may still be there now, I haven’t been there recently. It was killed off many decades ago by the mearby free ferry and foot tunnel. I think it may have been around First World War time, but I’m not sure.