London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,781
Default Breaking news: Crossrail opening delayed

The central section of Crossrail will open about nine months late, next
autumn, rather tanthis December:

https://sports.yahoo.com/crossrail-delay-londons-15-billion-rail-scheme-misses-december-deadline-wont-open-next-autumn-091334772.html


  #2   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 10:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,781
Default Breaking news: Crossrail opening delayed

Recliner wrote:
The central section of Crossrail will open about nine months late, next
autumn, rather tanthis December:

https://sports.yahoo.com/crossrail-delay-londons-15-billion-rail-scheme-misses-december-deadline-wont-open-next-autumn-091334772.html



More from the Evening Osborne:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-to-miss-december-opening-date-and-will-not-be-ready-until-autumn-2019-a3924386.html


  #3   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 10:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jan 2011
Posts: 407
Default Breaking news: Crossrail opening delayed

On 31/08/2018 10:26, Recliner wrote:
Recliner wrote:
The central section of Crossrail will open about nine months late, next
autumn, rather tanthis December:

https://sports.yahoo.com/crossrail-delay-londons-15-billion-rail-scheme-misses-december-deadline-wont-open-next-autumn-091334772.html



More from the Evening Osborne:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-to-miss-december-opening-date-and-will-not-be-ready-until-autumn-2019-a3924386.html


And from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...tumn-next-year

  #4   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 11:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,259
Default Breaking news: Crossrail opening delayed

In message , at 09:49:49 on Fri, 31 Aug
2018, Recliner remarked:

More from the Evening Osborne:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-to-miss-december-opening-date-and-will-not-be-ready-until-autumn-2019-a3924386.html


Sounds like the Heathrow section will be similarly a year late. Plenty
of more time for HEx to make hay while the sun shines.

ps Hands up anyone who is the slightest bit surprised that this has
happened. We'd be amazed if anything the railways did *was* on time,
let alone on budget.
--
Roland Perry
  #5   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,781
Default Breaking news: Crossrail opening delayed

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:49:49 on Fri, 31 Aug
2018, Recliner remarked:

More from the Evening Osborne:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-to-miss-december-opening-date-and-will-not-be-ready-until-autumn-2019-a3924386.html


Sounds like the Heathrow section will be similarly a year late. Plenty
of more time for HEx to make hay while the sun shines.

ps Hands up anyone who is the slightest bit surprised that this has
happened. We'd be amazed if anything the railways did *was* on time,
let alone on budget.


Yup, and there have been increasing reports of some stations being well
behind schedule, and of course the budget has already had to be increased.

But it's probably better to officially delay the opening by a realistic
amount, than force an unfinished railway to open on time, with some
stations clearly incomplete, or not open at all, and frequent signalling
failures. It was that hubris that made the opening of LHR Terminal 5 go so
badly.



  #6   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 11:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,259
Default Breaking news: Crossrail opening delayed

In message , at 10:26:45 on Fri, 31 Aug
2018, Recliner remarked:
More from the Evening Osborne:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-to-miss-december-opening-date-and-will-not-be-ready-until-autumn-2019-a3924386.html


Sounds like the Heathrow section will be similarly a year late. Plenty
of more time for HEx to make hay while the sun shines.

ps Hands up anyone who is the slightest bit surprised that this has
happened. We'd be amazed if anything the railways did *was* on time,
let alone on budget.


Yup, and there have been increasing reports of some stations being well
behind schedule, and of course the budget has already had to be increased.

But it's probably better to officially delay the opening by a realistic
amount, than force an unfinished railway to open on time, with some
stations clearly incomplete, or not open at all, and frequent signalling
failures. It was that hubris that made the opening of LHR Terminal 5 go so
badly.


Or more recently, the GTR timetable change in May.

So now we have both Thameslink *and* Crossrail officially a year behind,
within a few short months of one another. At least passengers have
rather more notice of the latter's failure to deliver.

But commiserations to anyone living in Abbey Wood and environs who was
organising their life around the December 2018 date.
--
Roland Perry
  #7   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 12:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 143
Default Breaking news: Crossrail opening delayed

Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 31/08/2018 10:26, Recliner wrote:
Recliner wrote:
The central section of Crossrail will open about nine months late, next
autumn, rather tanthis December:

https://sports.yahoo.com/crossrail-delay-londons-15-billion-rail-scheme-misses-december-deadline-wont-open-next-autumn-091334772.html



More from the Evening Osborne:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/crossrail-to-miss-december-opening-date-and-will-not-be-ready-until-autumn-2019-a3924386.html


And from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...tumn-next-year



Also:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45367990


Anna Noyd-Dryver
  #8   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 12:46 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Aug 2018
Posts: 1
Default Breaking news: Crossrail opening delayed

On 31 Aug 2018, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote
(in article ):

Someone Somewhere wrote:
On 31/08/2018 10:26, Recliner wrote:
Recliner wrote:
The central section of Crossrail will open about nine months late, next
autumn, rather tanthis December:

https://sports.yahoo.com/crossrail-d...-rail-scheme-m
isses-december-deadline-wont-open-next-autumn-091334772.html


More from the Evening Osborne:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...december-openi
ng-date-and-will-not-be-ready-until-autumn-2019-a3924386.html

And from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...il-opening-pos
tponed-until-autumn-next-year


Also:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45367990

Anna Noyd-Dryver


It’s not that bad for a scheme which was proposed initially in the 1940s.


  #9   Report Post  
Old August 31st 18, 06:32 PM
Senior Member
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Feb 2011
Location: Leyton, East London
Posts: 829
Default

In common with most people, I'm sorry but not surprised
by this announcement.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breaking news Roland Perry London Transport 11 February 9th 17 09:24 AM
News Flash: Epping and Ongar line Easter Opening dates!!! EorJames London Transport 46 March 15th 05 11:46 AM
BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East Joe Patrick London Transport 114 September 5th 03 10:23 PM
BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East Michael R N Dolbear London Transport 0 September 1st 03 01:07 AM
BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East David Winter London Transport 0 August 31st 03 01:59 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017