Old February 8th 17, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Breaking news

"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Old February 8th 17, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Seems like a bit of a panic reaction to an overheated workman's drill.

Old February 8th 17, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 09:11:57 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Seems like a bit of a panic reaction to an overheated workman's drill.

I'm guessing it was a battery drill in a bag and something shorted causing a
lot of smoke. Perhaps they thought it was some sort of terrorist attack? o
Though looking at the tweets and pictures it seems to be a train load of
generation snowflake so no further explanation as to the panic required.

--
Spud

Old February 8th 17, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Seems like a bit of a panic reaction to an overheated workman's drill.

In multicultural London he may have had the look of somebody who could
potentially be a suicide bomber whose device hasn't actually gone bang
yet but is on the way there.

I assume he'd be Polish. I suspect the nervous pax just reacted to the
smoke. They probably couldn't even see the workman, who was probably at
work in the station, not on the train.

Also though it may be non PC to say it I wonder if there was any basis
for the so called " still upper lip" the British were supposedly
renown for in decades past but now vanished with the many of those
from different backgrounds being more excitable.

I suppose that's possible. NLL trains certainly have a very multi-cultural
assortment of passengers.

I wonder how long before the RMT blames DOO trains for the problem?

Old February 8th 17, 10:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\02\08 09:11, Recliner wrote:
Roland Perry wrote:
"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Seems like a bit of a panic reaction to an overheated workman's drill.

Not if he was praying towards Mecca at the time.

Old February 8th 17, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Seems like a bit of a panic reaction to an overheated workman's drill.

In multicultural London he may have had the look of somebody who could
potentially be a suicide bomber whose device hasn't actually gone bang
yet but is on the way there.
Also though it may be non PC to say it I wonder if there was any basis
for the so called " still upper lip" the British were supposedly
renown for in decades past but now vanished with the many of those
from different backgrounds being more excitable.

Could be, but looking at the pictures I think its more a generational thing.
Millenials seem to be a bunch of cry babies in general, witness their
neverending public moaning and complaining about Brexit.

--
Spud

Old February 8th 17, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Seems like a bit of a panic reaction to an overheated workman's drill.

In multicultural London he may have had the look of somebody who could
potentially be a suicide bomber whose device hasn't actually gone bang
yet but is on the way there.
Also though it may be non PC to say it I wonder if there was any basis
for the so called " still upper lip" the British were supposedly
renown for in decades past but now vanished with the many of those
from different backgrounds being more excitable.

I equate it more to hipsters overreacting.
Old February 8th 17, 01:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Seems like a bit of a panic reaction to an overheated workman's drill.

In multicultural London he may have had the look of somebody who could
potentially be a suicide bomber whose device hasn't actually gone bang
yet but is on the way there.
Also though it may be non PC to say it I wonder if there was any basis
for the so called " still upper lip" the British were supposedly
renown for in decades past but now vanished with the many of those
from different backgrounds being more excitable.

I equate it more to hipsters overreacting.

They could have had a genuine fear that their beard oil might catch light

--
Spud

Old February 8th 17, 05:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2017\02\08 13:43, d wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:01:00 +0000
" wrote:

I equate it more to hipsters overreacting.

They could have had a genuine fear that their beard oil might catch light

At least they wouldn't have to worry about the glass in their glasses
breaking.

Old February 8th 17, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote on 08 Feb 2017 at 09:48 ...
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
"Dalston Kingsland: Several injured amid 'sheer panic' as fire breaks
out on board rush hour Overground train"

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...sland-several-
injured-as-emergency-services-called-to-incident-with-train-in-east-
london-a3461051.html

Seems like a bit of a panic reaction to an overheated workman's drill.

In multicultural London he may have had the look of somebody who could
potentially be a suicide bomber whose device hasn't actually gone bang
yet but is on the way there.
Also though it may be non PC to say it I wonder if there was any basis
for the so called " still upper lip" the British were supposedly
renown for in decades past but now vanished with the many of those
from different backgrounds being more excitable.

This is not just a modern phenomenon. The stiff upper lip was notably
absent on 3 March 1943 at Bethnal Green tube station. ("173 people died
in a terrifying crush as panic spread through the crowds of people
trying to enter the station's bomb shelter",
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop.../a795909.shtml )

--
Richard J.