Old August 28th 03, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Default BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East

There has been a power cut, affecting the Tube and trains
BBC News Reports:
To reply direct, Remove NOSPAM and Replace with 21fun
For the latest News, Information and Photos check out
http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

Old August 28th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

John Abbot wrote in message ...
Interesting. I thought the Underground still took its juice from Lots Road
(ie its own dedicated power station). Or is that closed now?

Lots Road is closed, and is in the process of decommissioning. All LU power supply is now taken from the National Grid, via a small number of Bulk Supply Points at strategic points around London. Greenwich power station is retained as a backup supply, normally unused.

Old August 28th 03, 09:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In article , John Abbot
writes
Joe Patrick wrote in message ...
There has been a power cut, affecting the Tube and trains
BBC News Reports:

Interesting. I thought the Underground still took its juice from Lots Road
(ie its own dedicated power station). Or is that closed now?

Lots road closed 18 months ago. There is still a back up facility at
Greenwich IIRC.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old August 28th 03, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In article , 3518+3227
writes
Greenwich power station is retained as a backup supply, normally unused.

Including during the power cut today, perhaps?

Old August 28th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

That's odd...

My car performs as normal, despite the power cuts apparently prevalent in
the SE.

Even the headlights work.

Old August 28th 03, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

In article , Badabing
writes
in article , Andrew P Smith at
wrote on 28/8/03 8:03 PM:

In article , John Abbot
writes
Joe Patrick wrote in message ...
There has been a power cut, affecting the Tube and trains
BBC News Reports:

Interesting. I thought the Underground still took its juice from Lots Road
(ie its own dedicated power station). Or is that closed now?

Lots road closed 18 months ago. There is still a back up facility at
Greenwich IIRC.

Someone better look into that 'back up' then, eh?

As far as I am aware it kicked in and provided power to shunt the trains
back into platforms with.
Old August 28th 03, 09:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Joe Patrick" wrote in message ...
There has been a power cut, affecting the Tube and trains
BBC News Reports:

Great, all the cross-posted trolls are back X-(

--
*** http://www.railwayscene.co.uk/ *** - updated 19 August
Rich Mackin (rich-at-richmackin.co.uk)

Old August 28th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

Andrew P Smith wrote:
In article , Badabing
writes
in article , Andrew P Smith at
wrote on 28/8/03 8:03 PM:

In article , John Abbot
writes
Joe Patrick wrote in message ...
There has been a power cut, affecting the Tube and trains
BBC News Reports:

Interesting. I thought the Underground still took its juice from
Lots Road (ie its own dedicated power station). Or is that closed
now?

Lots road closed 18 months ago. There is still a back up facility at
Greenwich IIRC.

Someone better look into that 'back up' then, eh?

As far as I am aware it kicked in and provided power to shunt the
trains back into platforms with.

But the TfL press release said "The Tube network was evacuated, including
some trains in tunnels between stations", which suggests that Greenwich
might not have been wholly successful.
--
Richard J.

Old August 28th 03, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,uk.transport

"Joe Patrick" wrote in message ...
There has been a power cut, affecting the Tube and trains
BBC News Reports:

Why isn't this plastered across all the US news channels the way there power cut
was across all of ours?

Breaking news Roland Perry London Transport 11 February 9th 17 09:24 AM
South West Trains over District Line south of East Putney Martin J London Transport 2 February 17th 04 07:40 AM
BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East Michael R N Dolbear London Transport 0 September 1st 03 01:07 AM
Power Cut CJG London Transport 17 August 31st 03 09:16 PM
BREAKING NEWS!! Power Cut affecting Railways in the South East David Winter London Transport 0 August 31st 03 01:59 PM