Old October 19th 18, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Parisien taxi noir de Londres

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hybrid-cab-maker-levc-to-love-paris-in-the-spring-50wxw6p0x?shareToken=4dcc49bf120f944326121c720771b 5c3

Old October 19th 18, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

This stuck out:
"With pollution killing about 48,000 Parisians a year..."
Wow. That is a huge amount. I wonder what the figure is for London.
Old October 19th 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 07:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
Offramp wrote:
This stuck out:
"With pollution killing about 48,000 Parisians a year..."
Wow. That is a huge amount. I wonder what the figure is for London.

Whatever it is its probably hell of a lot less than it was even 20 years ago
with the improvements in vehicle emission controls. The whole thing is being
over hyped by politicians looking for an easy bandwagon and various eco idiots
and vested interests.

Old October 19th 18, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

48,000 in Paris is a thousand every week that the city is open.

That is like a new Spanish Flu, or Black Death.
Old October 20th 18, 02:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Offramp wrote:
This stuck out:
"With pollution killing about 48,000 Parisians a year..."
Wow. That is a huge amount. I wonder what the figure is for London.

Whatever it is its probably hell of a lot less than it was even 20 years ago
with the improvements in vehicle emission controls. The whole thing is being
over hyped by politicians looking for an easy bandwagon and various eco idiots
and vested interests.

And when they say "killing 48,000 a year" what they mean is that all
Parisians (And Londoners) are having their lives slightly shortened by
the pollution compared with their predicted lifespans in unpolluted
places. Call it about 1.5% off your life exectancy.

To get a better idea of how pollution affects people you really need to see
what is has been like for the past 200 years rather than the last 50.
Comparing London and Paris would be interesting
London smogs used to be notorious till burning of plain coal was banned in
smokeless zones and even into 1980’s a trip to London resulted in a dirty
collars, hair and black snot which doesn’t happen now since vehicle
exhausts got treated.
In contrast homes in Paris tended to burn wood for much of the 19th and
20th centuries which is why the buildings never got that black look so
prevalent on London buildings till they got pressure washed from the
1970’s.
London shines now compared to what it used to look like but
Parisians may not have had such a great change.

GH

Old October 22nd 18, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Oct 2018 01:26:15 GMT
Marland wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
And when they say "killing 48,000 a year" what they mean is that all
Parisians (And Londoners) are having their lives slightly shortened by
the pollution compared with their predicted lifespans in unpolluted
places. Call it about 1.5% off your life exectancy.

To get a better idea of how pollution affects people you really need to see
what is has been like for the past 200 years rather than the last 50.
Comparing London and Paris would be interesting
London smogs used to be notorious till burning of plain coal was banned in
smokeless zones and even into 1980’s a trip to London resulted in a dirty
collars, hair and black snot which doesn’t happen now since vehicle
exhausts got treated.

IMO based on nothing apart from the vague haze I can see in the tube train
headlights when it comes down the tunnel and the fact that a some of the
drivers wear mouth masks , I would suggest that the worst pollution in London
now isn't at street level - its on the deep level tube.

Old October 23rd 18, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

smokeless zones and even into 1980’s a trip to London resulted in a dirty
collars, hair and black snot which doesn’t happen now since vehicle
exhausts got treated.

I have noticed that my snot gets darker when I'm on holiday in London.
I normally reside in Kristiansand, Norway.

--
jhk
Old October 23rd 18, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41498653

Old October 24th 18, 09:29 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

So, the Mayor thinks that tyres and brakes aggravate the problem significantly. It would be interesting to know by how much that could be reduced if we did away with speed humps and all the new traffic lights which have been installed in the past 20 years.

Taxi complaint - how do I make one? David FitzGerald London Transport 34 September 15th 04 07:50 AM
Taxi complaint - how do I make one? [email protected] London Transport 0 September 11th 04 05:45 PM
Qualifications necessary to become a station rank taxi driver Oleg Kirov London Transport 4 July 7th 04 02:58 AM
Taxi "stops" Gooner London Transport 3 December 22nd 03 07:53 PM
Harrow: unusual taxi, the LU-owned market and the dead gasworks branch John Rowland London Transport 0 September 23rd 03 11:51 PM