London Banter

-   -   Station names (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1660-station-names.html)

Ian Jelf April 28th 04 12:59 PM

Station names

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
In article , Ian Jelf
writes
(Incidentally, the "Howdah" was a quite common guild symbol,

[...]
I *think* it might even appear on the coat of arms of the Mercers'
Company in London, too but I'm not in a position to check that out from
where I'm posting at the moment.

Checked. No.

Thanks, Clive.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

Bob Watt April 28th 04 05:42 PM

Station names

On 27/04/2004 20:30, in article ,
"Annabel Smyth" wrote:

I thought it was because of canning factories, myself, BICBW. After
all, the plaque in the station commemorates a ship-builders..... (it's
now my local work station, as opposed to home, so I use it most days).

"The London Encyclopaedia" suggests it may have been named after Lord
Canning, the Governor-General of India about 1850. The shipyard and the
Victoria Dock were the main local industries.

HTH.

John of Aix April 28th 04 06:26 PM

Station names

"Brian Watson" a écrit dans le message de news:

"John of Aix" wrote in message

Dominic Hisbiscum.

Is that any linguistic relation of "paxo vobiscum" (go and get stuffed)?

It is.
Et cum spiritu tui (May the Whisky be with you)

Colin McKenzie April 28th 04 09:56 PM

Station names

Tom Anderson wrote:

How many London placenames (and, moreover, station names) are based on
trees? Seven Sisters, Sevenoaks, Royal Oak, Burnt Oak, Poplar ...
Shepherd's Bush? If you also look for woods and forests, there are loads -
Wealdstone, Theydon Bois, various -woods. Add in the various Greens and
you'd barely think there was as city there at all.

Perivale, for one: 'valley with pear trees' according to 'What's in a
name'.

And apparently the seven sisters were elm trees (same source), so they
certainly aren't there any more.

Colin McKenzie
--
Why believe statistics?
Ignore them and you can believe the damned lies instead!

John of Aix April 28th 04 10:49 PM

Station names

"Bob Watt" a écrit dans le message de news:
On 27/04/2004 20:30, in article ,
"Annabel Smyth" wrote:

I thought it was because of canning factories, myself, BICBW. After
all, the plaque in the station commemorates a ship-builders..... (it's
now my local work station, as opposed to home, so I use it most days).

"The London Encyclopaedia" suggests it may have been named after Lord
Canning, the Governor-General of India about 1850. The shipyard and the
Victoria Dock were the main local industries.

There was also a large glassworks.