London Banter

-   -   How to spot twats on the underground.... (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1675-how-spot-twats-underground.html)

Nick Cooper April 27th 04 11:27 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

Detrained at Lambeth North this morning. Lanky bald ******* got into
the lift just as the doors opened, and then stood there repeatedly
punching the operation button until they closed again. When he went
through the barriers, it flashed up "child" on the display. He even
had the gall to then not leave as quickly as possible, but rather
stood using the payphone next to the entrance. ****.

If I wasn't already very late for work, I would have grassed him up to
the guy in the ticket office, although I wonder when they would have
bothered doing anything....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Nick Cooper April 28th 04 07:08 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:41:27 GMT, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:27:48 GMT,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

Detrained at Lambeth North this morning. Lanky bald ******* got into
the lift just as the doors opened, and then stood there repeatedly
punching the operation button until they closed again. When he went
through the barriers, it flashed up "child" on the display. He even
had the gall to then not leave as quickly as possible, but rather
stood using the payphone next to the entrance. ****.
If I wasn't already very late for work, I would have grassed him up to
the guy in the ticket office, although I wonder when they would have
bothered doing anything....

From the header, I was hoping for seating position/proper angle
tips...

Lesson 2: How to spot pervs on the Underground.... :-)

Dan Gravell April 28th 04 07:37 AM

Nick Cooper wrote:
Detrained at Lambeth North this morning. Lanky bald ******* got into
the lift just as the doors opened, and then stood there repeatedly
punching the operation button until they closed again. When he went
through the barriers, it flashed up "child" on the display. He even
had the gall to then not leave as quickly as possible, but rather
stood using the payphone next to the entrance. ****.

Not as annoying as people getting through on your ticket by following
closely behind. I'm trying to perfect the art of leaving it till the
last possible moment before going through the barriers and them closing.
Unfortunately my laptop bag makes this harder.

And to broaden it a little, people that get onto a bus through the exit
doors on the side (and don't pay).

Dan

John Rowland April 28th 04 10:48 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:41:27 GMT, wrote:

From the header, I was hoping for seating
position/proper angle tips...

Lesson 2: How to spot pervs on the Underground.... :-)

Innocent I thought he was talking about the correct angle for helping a
weightlifter.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Neil Williams April 28th 04 06:22 PM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:37:14 +0100, Dan Gravell wrote:

Not as annoying as people getting through on your ticket by following
closely behind. I'm trying to perfect the art of leaving it till the
last possible moment before going through the barriers and them closing.
Unfortunately my laptop bag makes this harder.

Most auto barriers tend to have a sensor on the "other" side and will stay
open for a while until one person (theoretically) has passed through. I
have very often done the following without any problem getting through...

1) Put down coffee
2) Insert ticket
3) Remove ticket
4) Return ticket to wallet
5) Return wallet to pocket
6) Pick up coffee
7) Pass through barrier

....obviously not when the station is busy, mind!

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
Mail me on neil at the above domain; mail to the above address is NOT read

Stuart April 28th 04 11:04 PM

Neil Williams wrote:
Most auto barriers tend to have a sensor on the "other" side and will stay
open for a while until one person (theoretically) has passed through. I
have very often done the following without any problem getting through...

1) Put down coffee
2) Insert ticket
3) Remove ticket
4) Return ticket to wallet
5) Return wallet to pocket
6) Pick up coffee
7) Pass through barrier

...obviously not when the station is busy, mind!

totally unlike most of the people I seem to get stuck behind....

1) Walk to barrier
2) Realise what that little piece of card they were given half an hour
later is for
3) Open handbag (because it usually is a woman)
4) Rake around in handbag for a bit
5) Get out purse
6) Find ticket in purse
7) Try to insert ticket in top of machine
8) Realise mistake and insert ticket in the front of the machine
9) Stand there for a bit wondering why gates haven't opened
10) Take ticket from machine, gates open
11) Stand there for a bit wondering if it's safe to go through
12) Pass through the barrier

..... or is it just me who comes across these idiots?

Dan Gravell April 29th 04 07:41 AM

Stuart wrote:
totally unlike most of the people I seem to get stuck behind....

1) Walk to barrier
2) Realise what that little piece of card they were given half an hour
later is for

[snip]

:D

Don't get that much myself... but I suppose that's a dubious advantage
of most of my travelling being through Streatham which, alas, doesn't
have gates.

I get this kinda thing more in supermarkets, but that's a bit OT ;)

Edward Cowling April 29th 04 07:44 AM

"Stuart" wrote in message
11) Stand there for a bit wondering if it's safe to go through
12) Pass through the barrier

.... or is it just me who comes across these idiots?

Left handed ticket users can be hilarious. Some do a kind
of contortion to use their left hand to insert the ticket. I even
had one put the ticket in my slot on the next barrier to the left,
which was nice of him :-)

All these contortions and you can't help thinking how hard
can it be to hold a ticket that weighs about 5 grams in your
right hand ??!!

--
Edward Cowling - London - UK

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North April 29th 04 08:27 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

1) Walk to barrier
2) Realise what that little piece of card they were given half an hour
later is for
3) Open handbag (because it usually is a woman)
4) Rake around in handbag for a bit
5) Get out purse
6) Find ticket in purse
7) Try to insert ticket in top of machine
8) Realise mistake and insert ticket in the front of the machine
9) Stand there for a bit wondering why gates haven't opened
10) Take ticket from machine, gates open
11) Stand there for a bit wondering if it's safe to go through
12) Pass through the barrier

.... or is it just me who comes across these idiots?

Unfortunely London Underground do not offer a resdential training
course for customers about how to use ticket barriers. So those scum
that dare to use London Underground for the first time or only
occasionaly should obviously be banned. If people not going through
ticket barriers in less than 5.8 seconds bothers you so much why not
just use a different gate?
As a casual user of London Underground it is blantly obvious to me its
the regular users who can go through the gates at London Underground
who are the problem. These people usually travel before 9am and after
5pm and do one or more of the following:

1) Tut loudly when your valid ticket flashes up "Seek Assistance" and
then glare at you like your scum when you try and find someone to help
2) Interupt and shout at staff until they get attention when their
ticket does the same even if the member of staff is busy
3) Refers to the tourists who add billions of pounds to the economy
anually as "f*cking tourists". Miss "I Live in Sussex But Come In
London To Make Money Because A Job Where I Live Doesn't Pay So Much
and Probably Have Slightly Less Right To Be London Than The Tourists
Who Actually Are Spending Nights In London Even If Its In A Hotel" you
know who you are.
4) Does not see anyone else when they crash into them. Collide with
them. Kick their things.
5)Can not understand why when your holding on to a laptop case and two
other bags crushed on a train trying to keep your balance as there is
nothing to hold on and the station comes into a station you do not
leap out of there way straight away but infact waits until the train
comes to a stop or about to come to a stop ignoring their "excuse
me's" when start 3 seconds after they discover they are smaller than
you and can not budge you out of the way.

I prefer the people who don't know how to use the ticket machines. Or
the gates. Or can't understand the map. Or stand in the door because
they don't think about moving down the platform for the simple reason
that at least these people are polite. If you ask them to move out of
the way from standing in the middle of the passage staring at the map
they will. Not just look at you as those things with legs and arms
that are on the train when I get on the train don't usually talk why
is this one talking?

Robin Mayes April 29th 04 08:39 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message m...

[...]

Sounds almost like a Ben Elton rant from the early Eighties ;-)

Annabel Smyth April 29th 04 08:51 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 at 08:41:58, Dan Gravell
wrote:

Don't get that much myself... but I suppose that's a dubious advantage
of most of my travelling being through Streatham which, alas, doesn't
have gates.

Why "alas"? Actually, I am always intrigued that Blackfriars main line
doesn't, either, so any computer keeping track of what I do with my
season ticket must get very confused..... first heard of on a bus headed
towards Streatham, then next reappears at Blackfriars LUL.....

Or, even worse, when I get on the system at Clapham or Stockwell and
then simply disappear - if I change at Bank, as I occasionally do, on to
the DLR, there is no exit gate.....
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004

Dan Gravell April 29th 04 09:49 AM

Annabel Smyth wrote:

Why "alas"? Actually, I am always intrigued that Blackfriars main line
doesn't, either, so any computer keeping track of what I do with my
season ticket must get very confused..... first heard of on a bus headed
towards Streatham, then next reappears at Blackfriars LUL.....

Or, even worse, when I get on the system at Clapham or Stockwell and
then simply disappear - if I change at Bank, as I occasionally do, on to
the DLR, there is no exit gate.....

Well I don't know about the economics of whether buying new gates make
sense, but just from a naive revenue protection/subjectively moralistic
point of view.

As far as I'm concerned the system must think I'm constantly on the
system making circular trips from City Thameslink and London Bridge :D

Dan

Ian Tindale April 29th 04 10:31 AM

Edward Cowling wrote:

Left handed ticket users can be hilarious. Some do a kind
of contortion to use their left hand to insert the ticket. I even
had one put the ticket in my slot on the next barrier to the left,
which was nice of him :-)

All these contortions and you can't help thinking how hard
can it be to hold a ticket that weighs about 5 grams in your
right hand ??!!

Right handed *******s are the ones I find infuriating, especially the stupid
****s that have the audacity to design systems like ticket barriers the
wrong way round. I've absolutely no tolerance for right handed people,
they're the most bigoted arrogant ****s you're ever likely to find on the
underground.

--
Ian Tindale

Niklas Karlsson April 29th 04 10:48 AM

In article , Edward Cowling wrote:

Left handed ticket users can be hilarious. Some do a kind
of contortion to use their left hand to insert the ticket. I even
had one put the ticket in my slot on the next barrier to the left,
which was nice of him :-)

All these contortions and you can't help thinking how hard
can it be to hold a ticket that weighs about 5 grams in your
right hand ??!!

Not very hard at all, which is why I've always used my right hand for
this despite being left-handed. There really are people who don't
(assuming they have no disability depriving them of the use of their
right hand)?!

Niklas
--
merl so when is BGP going to die
Salkin When BGP dies, will the tombstone say "RIP"?

Martin Underwood April 29th 04 10:49 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message m...

1) Walk to barrier
2) Realise what that little piece of card they were given half an hour
later is for
3) Open handbag (because it usually is a woman)
4) Rake around in handbag for a bit
5) Get out purse
6) Find ticket in purse
7) Try to insert ticket in top of machine
8) Realise mistake and insert ticket in the front of the machine
9) Stand there for a bit wondering why gates haven't opened
10) Take ticket from machine, gates open
11) Stand there for a bit wondering if it's safe to go through
12) Pass through the barrier

.... or is it just me who comes across these idiots?

In (2), I think you mean "earlier", not "later"!

No, I come across this sort of person very often whenever I go up to London.
Their mistake is not that they are unaware of how to use ticket barriers
(everyone's got to learn somehow), it's that they stand in front of the
barriers behaving like clueless morons instead of having the nouse and the
courtesy to stand on one side watching what everyone else does until they've
got the hang of things. While they're standing aside, they can also find
their ticket.

Sadly many people seem to be congenitally incapable of finding their ticket
in advance of needing it (eg as they are walking up to the barrier), in the
same way that a lot of people (a large proportion of them being women) don't
start to look for their cash or credit card in a supermarket queue until
they are presented with the bill.

One thing that most people do manage to get right is the
stand-on-the-right-overtake-on-the-left rule on escalators on the
Underground. If only they would do the same on escalators in shops instead
of standing side-by-side blocking the whole width.

Niklas Karlsson April 29th 04 11:00 AM

In article m, Martin Underwood wrote:

One thing that most people do manage to get right is the
stand-on-the-right-overtake-on-the-left rule on escalators on the
Underground. If only they would do the same on escalators in shops instead
of standing side-by-side blocking the whole width.

Indeed. Another thing most people get right is letting people off the
train before trying to get on.

Most of those who don't get this right (seems to be more common on NR
than on the Underground) seem to be teenagers, and some even have the
gall to be offended when I insist on getting off first.

Niklas
--
There are many roller coaster rides that are basically railguns.
-- Willem

Kat April 29th 04 11:19 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

In message m, Martin
Underwood writes
Sadly many people seem to be congenitally incapable of finding their ticket
in advance of needing it (eg as they are walking up to the barrier), in the
same way that a lot of people (a large proportion of them being women) don't
start to look for their cash or credit card in a supermarket queue until
they are presented with the bill.

This was mentioned on here a while ago and since then I've made it a
point to notice whether more women than men have trouble finding their
tickets.

From my experience I'd say that it's fairly evenly balanced with women
having to search in the bottom of their handbags for the elusive ticket
and men have to search through several days worth of old tickets in
their many pockets.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Martin Underwood April 29th 04 11:26 AM

"Ian Tindale" wrote in message
Edward Cowling wrote:

Left handed ticket users can be hilarious. Some do a kind
of contortion to use their left hand to insert the ticket. I even
had one put the ticket in my slot on the next barrier to the left,
which was nice of him :-)

All these contortions and you can't help thinking how hard
can it be to hold a ticket that weighs about 5 grams in your
right hand ??!!

Right handed *******s are the ones I find infuriating, especially the

stupid
****s that have the audacity to design systems like ticket barriers the
wrong way round. I've absolutely no tolerance for right handed people,
they're the most bigoted arrogant ****s you're ever likely to find on the
underground.

Two points:

- Right-handers are the majority, so it's not unreasonable that where a
design has to be "handed", right-handed is chosen.

- Why should an action such as holding a ticket be a "handed" operation? I'm
sure as a right-hander I'd have no difficulty whatsoever holding a ticket in
my left hand and feeding into a slot on the left side of the barrier if
that's how the barriers were designed. Are left-handed people less
ambidextrous (apart from skilled actions like writing) than right-handed
people?

Martin Underwood April 29th 04 11:26 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

"Niklas Karlsson" wrote in message
In article m, Martin

Underwood wrote:

One thing that most people do manage to get right is the
stand-on-the-right-overtake-on-the-left rule on escalators on the
Underground. If only they would do the same on escalators in shops

instead
of standing side-by-side blocking the whole width.

Indeed. Another thing most people get right is letting people off the
train before trying to get on.

Most of those who don't get this right (seems to be more common on NR
than on the Underground) seem to be teenagers, and some even have the
gall to be offended when I insist on getting off first.

I'm surprised that no-one has tried to introduce a policy of
stand-on-the-left (for both inside and outside) at train and bus doorways,
which would allow people to get on and off simultaneously.

Martin Underwood April 29th 04 11:26 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

"Kat" wrote in message
In message m, Martin
Underwood writes
Sadly many people seem to be congenitally incapable of finding their

ticket
in advance of needing it (eg as they are walking up to the barrier), in

the
same way that a lot of people (a large proportion of them being women)

don't
start to look for their cash or credit card in a supermarket queue until
they are presented with the bill.

This was mentioned on here a while ago and since then I've made it a
point to notice whether more women than men have trouble finding their
tickets.

From my experience I'd say that it's fairly evenly balanced with women
having to search in the bottom of their handbags for the elusive ticket
and men have to search through several days worth of old tickets in
their many pockets.

I've no quibble with people of either sex having to hunt for their ticket,
credit card or whatever. But common sense and courtesy to people behind
suggests that you do it *before* you stand in the queue so you don't delay
other people.

Darren April 29th 04 11:37 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
s.com...
- Why should an action such as holding a ticket be a "handed" operation?

I'm
sure as a right-hander I'd have no difficulty whatsoever holding a ticket

in
my left hand and feeding into a slot on the left side of the barrier if
that's how the barriers were designed. Are left-handed people less
ambidextrous (apart from skilled actions like writing) than right-handed
people?

To me it isn't a problem, I'm left handed, and can happily work a ticket
gate with my right hand, I also do other things the right handed way, I use
a computer mouse with the right.
I believe it is also common for left handed people to hold a knife and fork
wrong, with the knife in the left - not me though.
Its these silly people who start requiring Left handed clocks that work
backwards and such which make left handed people seem strange.

Martin Underwood April 29th 04 11:48 AM

"Darren" ] wrote in message
[...]

My mum is left-handed. But she was brought up to use her knife and fork in
the conventional hands (ie knife in right hand) and to use a right-handed
pair of scissors. All these actions are unskilled ones which don't require
any great dexterity[*], unlike writing: she cannot write with her right
hand to save her life, just as I cannot write with my left hand. For
writing, she holds her pen in an exact mirror-image to a right-handed person
(ie with the cap of the pen pointing over her left shoulder) unlike most
left-handed people who hold it very awkwardly, facing away from them to the
right, and with their wrists/little fingers above rather than below the line
of writing.

I've just tried using my computer mouse with my left hand. It feels ever so
slightly odd, but I'm sure within a couple of minutes I'd be used to it.
[*] Excuse the pun: I know that etymologically "dexterity" relates to the
right hand!

[email protected] April 29th 04 01:22 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

In article m,
(Martin Underwood) wrote:

"Darren" ] wrote in message
[...]

Or as a comedian said "use your other hand, it will feel like a stranger"
no idea what he meant, though :-)

Roger

PhilD April 29th 04 02:45 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

Niklas Karlsson wrote in message ...
Indeed. Another thing most people get right is letting people off the
train before trying to get on.

Most of those who don't get this right (seems to be more common on NR
than on the Underground) seem to be teenagers, and some even have the
gall to be offended when I insist on getting off first.

Niklas

From my experience, when they get older (I won't say "grow up") they
all go and live in Maidenhead!

I never understand why, particularly if it's a crowded train, anyone
even thinks there's room to get on until others have got off. It was
much easier fo me a couple of years ago: it is hard for anyone to get
on whilst a pushchair is coming off.

PhilD

Laura-Ann April 29th 04 04:26 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

"PhilD" wrote in message
om...
Niklas Karlsson wrote in message

Indeed. Another thing most people get right is letting people off the
train before trying to get on.

Most of those who don't get this right (seems to be more common on NR
than on the Underground) seem to be teenagers, and some even have the
gall to be offended when I insist on getting off first.

Niklas

From my experience, when they get older (I won't say "grow up") they
all go and live in Maidenhead!

I never understand why, particularly if it's a crowded train, anyone
even thinks there's room to get on until others have got off. It was
much easier fo me a couple of years ago: it is hard for anyone to get
on whilst a pushchair is coming off.

PhilD

--

Just chipping in...this is one of the things that annoys me most.

I have to trek around, at the moment with a knee brace. I did it for the
first time in London yesterday. Now, it was very much on show because I was
wearing a skirt. Everytime I went to get off a train, it was exceptionally
difficult to bend my knee, and I ended up jumping, or hopping down. People
were tutting, and pushing me back into the train. Is it so difficult to
wait a few seconds while someone gets off?

And, even before the doors have opened, they are crowding around it waiting
to get on, not leaving any space for those who wish to get off. Many times
yesterday I shoved myself through groups of people waiting at the doors, and
got "you piece of scum" looks. And for the first time yesterday, I actually
swore at people who couldn't be patient. It's difficult enough for me at
the moment to get on trains, I don't need it made more difficult to get off.

Now, the idiots who ignore the "Keep Left" signs in tunnels and on
stairs...that's another story.

Laura-Ann
-----------------

Clive D. W. Feather April 29th 04 05:41 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

In article , Darren
] writes
Its these silly people who start requiring Left handed clocks that work
backwards and such which make left handed people seem strange.

Left-hand clocks are a joke.

Scissors only work if held in the right hand. If you want ones for use
in the left hand, they need to be constructed in a different way. If
you're left-handed, you might find such scissors better for detailed
work.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Martin Underwood April 29th 04 07:10 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Darren
] writes
Its these silly people who start requiring Left handed clocks that work
backwards and such which make left handed people seem strange.

Left-hand clocks are a joke.

Scissors only work if held in the right hand. If you want ones for use
in the left hand, they need to be constructed in a different way. If
you're left-handed, you might find such scissors better for detailed
work.

I've tried using left-handed scissors with my left hand - felt a bit funny
but soon got used to it. As I said earlier, I wonder if left-handers
generally are more polarised to left-handedness and less ambidextrous than
right-handers for non-precision tasks?

On a related "handedness" issue, I knew someone who had great difficulty
driving in mainland Europe becauase she expected the pedals and the
arrangement of the gears on the gear lever to be mirror image in an LHD
car - she couldn't get her brain around the fact that they were the same as
in an RHD car.

Richard J. April 29th 04 07:35 PM

Martin Underwood wrote:
As I said earlier, I wonder if
left-handers generally are more polarised to left-handedness and
less ambidextrous than right-handers for non-precision tasks?

This seems to me to be rather unlikely, as left-handers have to adapt
continually to the right-handedness of everyday objects, and should
therefore become more ambidextrous than the average right-hander.
Possibly resentment about this can lead to some left-handers
deliberately (or subconsciously)limiting their apparent ambidexterity?
--
Richard J.

Annabel Smyth April 29th 04 08:00 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 at 11:37:33, Darren ] wrote:

Its these silly people who start requiring Left handed clocks that work
backwards and such which make left handed people seem strange.

Sinister, in all senses of the word!

Annabel Smyth April 29th 04 08:02 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 at 10:49:40, Martin Underwood
wrote:

Sadly many people seem to be congenitally incapable of finding their ticket
in advance of needing it (eg as they are walking up to the barrier), in the
same way that a lot of people (a large proportion of them being women) don't
start to look for their cash or credit card in a supermarket queue until
they are presented with the bill.

This is because we - I, at any rate - are far too busy packing up our
shopping while it is being passed to us, rather than requiring the shop
assistant to put it down in an increasingly unwieldy pile and causing
immense delays to the next person while we try to sort it out.

Once the shopping is packed, we pay for it.

Neil Williams April 29th 04 08:38 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:02:48 +0100, Annabel Smyth wrote:

This is because we - I, at any rate - are far too busy packing up our
shopping while it is being passed to us, rather than requiring the shop
assistant to put it down in an increasingly unwieldy pile and causing
immense delays to the next person while we try to sort it out.

I've always been impressed by Aldi's approach - throw it back into the
trolley, then you move away and pack it at your leisure at a separate
"shelf" provided for the purpose (or into stack boxes in your car, thus
saving bags). They are *very* quick.

That said, in "normal" supermarkets I tend to find my credit card while
approaching the till, and place it on the handy shelf bit (while making it
obvious to the shop assistant that I have done so) such that payment can
be being processed while I finish the packing. OK, someone could nick it,
but it's unlikely.

Neil

Martin Underwood April 29th 04 09:27 PM

wrote:

Sadly many people seem to be congenitally incapable of finding their

ticket
in advance of needing it (eg as they are walking up to the barrier), in

the
same way that a lot of people (a large proportion of them being women)

don't
start to look for their cash or credit card in a supermarket queue until
they are presented with the bill.

This is because we - I, at any rate - are far too busy packing up our
shopping while it is being passed to us, rather than requiring the shop
assistant to put it down in an increasingly unwieldy pile and causing
immense delays to the next person while we try to sort it out.

Once the shopping is packed, we pay for it.

Interesting: I get my wallet out while I'm waiting in the queue (God knows,
I've got long enough!) and put the card loose inside the folded wallet. Then
when I start to pack, the wallet goes right next to me by the "wall" that
stops the goods falling on the floor as you're packing them, so it's right
where I can see it and it won't get nicked. Now I can pack, safe in the
knowledge that when I'm asked to pay, I can hand over the card immediately,
again briefly while I sign. Who said men can't multi-task? ;-)

I wouldn't dream of *starting* to locate my wallet only when I was asked to
pay. Maybe that's a man thing.

PS: Next week's rant... drivers (especially of automatic cars) who sit with
their foot on the footbrake (instead of slipping the car into neutral and
putting their handbrake on) when they're stopped for ages at traffic
lights - this blinds the driver behind (eg me) at night!

Neil Williams April 29th 04 09:53 PM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:27:51 +0000, Martin Underwood wrote:

PS: Next week's rant... drivers (especially of automatic cars) who sit with
their foot on the footbrake (instead of slipping the car into neutral and
putting their handbrake on) when they're stopped for ages at traffic
lights - this blinds the driver behind (eg me) at night!

Way off topic, but I agree. Also, it is a safety risk - with the
handbrake off, a car which is rear-end shunted is much more likely to go
into the car in front of it as well, as the shock will cause the driver to
release the footbrake. Even worse, if said driver is at the front they
could be shunted into the path of oncoming traffic, making an already
unpleasant accident even worse.

Mind you, I'd rather they used their footbrake than held the car on the
clutch - apart from wearing their clutch out, this particular breed of
driver tends to roll disconcertingly back and forth, totally oblivious to
the most useful handle that can be found to their left. Said people tend
to use the excuse that overuse of the handbrake will stretch the cable -
but I'd much rather pay for a new handbrake cable than the small fortune
it tends to cost to do a clutch on a modern front-wheel-drive car...

Neil

Annabel Smyth April 29th 04 10:05 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 at 21:27:51, Martin Underwood
wrote:

I wouldn't dream of *starting* to locate my wallet only when I was asked to
pay. Maybe that's a man thing.

Well, I don't need to "locate" mine, since I know precisely where it is!
And if I don't have much to pack, then I have it out, but otherwise, I
get it out when I need it, and not a moment before.

Michael R N Dolbear April 29th 04 10:12 PM

How to spot twats on the underground....

Nick Cooper wrote in
article ...
Detrained at Lambeth North this morning. Lanky bald ******* got into
the lift just as the doors opened, and then stood there repeatedly
punching the operation button until they closed again. When he went
through the barriers, it flashed up "child" on the display. He even

"child" can be legal, check "Fares for 2004"

"child fares == child 5-15 and 'New Deal' photocard holders"

You have to be unemployed for 18 months I think and Jobcentre Plus
issue them.

--
Mike D

Richard J. April 29th 04 11:25 PM

Neil Williams wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:27:51 +0000, Martin Underwood wrote:

PS: Next week's rant... drivers (especially of automatic cars) who
sit with their foot on the footbrake (instead of slipping the car
into neutral and putting their handbrake on) when they're stopped
for ages at traffic lights - this blinds the driver behind (eg me)
at night!

Way off topic, but I agree. Also, it is a safety risk - with the
handbrake off, a car which is rear-end shunted is much more likely
to go into the car in front of it as well, as the shock will cause
the driver to release the footbrake.

I disagree with that. An unexpected forward movement is more likely to
cause the driver to press harder on the pedal in order to stop it.
Anyway, if the vehicle in front remains stationary, the shunt will have
more severe consequences for the vehicle behind and its occupants, so
why is it safer?
--
Richard J.

Neil Williams April 30th 04 06:45 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:25:51 +0000, Richard J. wrote:

I disagree with that. An unexpected forward movement is more likely to
cause the driver to press harder on the pedal in order to stop it.
Anyway, if the vehicle in front remains stationary, the shunt will have
more severe consequences for the vehicle behind and its occupants, so
why is it safer?

I suppose it's a toss-up between greater damage/injury on 2 vehicles only
versus lesser damage/injury on a larger number of vehicles. That assumes,
as I said, that no vehicle is shunted through the lights/onto the
roundabout into the path of oncoming traffic[1], which could prove a *lot*
nastier. It also assumes that sufficient space is left between
stationary vehicles such that it will only involve 2 of them; a lot of
drivers don't realise the value of doing that and simply pull up to within
6" of the bumper in front.

[1] I've had that (almost) happen to me once - was hit from behind by
someone doing about 50mph who didn't see fit to brake for a roundabout
just as I was releasing the handbrake to set off. Nothing *was* coming
(otherwise I'd not have been setting off) but it was quite scary. Not fun.

Neil

paulglondon April 30th 04 07:49 AM

How to spot twats on the underground....

Stuart wrote in message

snip

1) Walk to barrier
2) Realise what that little piece of card they were given half an hour
later is for
3) Open handbag (because it usually is a woman)
4) Rake around in handbag for a bit
5) Get out purse
6) Find ticket in purse

Or then decide to use the next barrier, the one that I had decided to
use a few seconds earlier, and so walk straight in front of me.

In fact I find the most annoying thing about these barriers are women
(invariably) who will try to race you to the barrier and then, when
you've decided to use the neighbouring one (no need to fight over a
barrier when there are two), will stop you doing so by moving straight
in front of you.

We don't need the bloody barriers in any case. Penalty fares and
inspectors would speed things up a lot.

7) Try to insert ticket in top of machine
8) Realise mistake and insert ticket in the front of the machine
9) Stand there for a bit wondering why gates haven't opened
10) Take ticket from machine, gates open
11) Stand there for a bit wondering if it's safe to go through
12) Pass through the barrier

I can tolerate this one because it's more predictable

Paul

Terry Casey April 30th 04 08:24 AM

"Richard J." wrote in message
Martin Underwood wrote:
As I said earlier, I wonder if
left-handers generally are more polarised to left-handedness and
less ambidextrous than right-handers for non-precision tasks?

This seems to me to be rather unlikely, as left-handers have to adapt
continually to the right-handedness of everyday objects, and should
therefore become more ambidextrous than the average right-hander.
Possibly resentment about this can lead to some left-handers
deliberately (or subconsciously)limiting their apparent ambidexterity?
--

There are far more buses in London than ticket gates but all the buses I use
have the Oyster card reader on the left! If Richard is right, this will

Personally, as a right hander, I don't find it a problem

Terry