Old May 4th 04, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Time for Zero Tolerance?

With some people ignoring the 'let the passengers off the train first' rule
and even smoking on stations and platforms, is it time for zero tolerance?

Is it time to expect London Underground to uphold the Byelaws?

Steve

Old May 4th 04, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , SJCWHUK
writes
With some people ignoring the 'let the passengers off the train first' rule
and even smoking on stations and platforms, is it time for zero tolerance?

Is it time to expect London Underground to uphold the Byelaws?

Http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/byelaw.asp

Especially concerning "Intoxication and possession of intoxicating
liquor"
Can you imagine the howls of anguish if we stopped every person carrying
an open beer-can?
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Old May 4th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote the following in:

In message , SJCWHUK
writes
With some people ignoring the 'let the passengers off the train
first' rule and even smoking on stations and platforms, is it time
for zero tolerance?

Is it time to expect London Underground to uphold the Byelaws?

Http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/byelaw.asp

Especially concerning "Intoxication and possession of intoxicating
liquor"
Can you imagine the howls of anguish if we stopped every person
carrying an open beer-can?

Jesus! The tube might as well shut down after 9 o'clock if those are
going to be upheld!

--
message by Robin May, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.
Old May 4th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...
Kat wrote the following in:

In message , SJCWHUK
writes
With some people ignoring the 'let the passengers off the train
first' rule and even smoking on stations and platforms, is it time
for zero tolerance?

Is it time to expect London Underground to uphold the Byelaws?

Http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/byelaw.asp

Especially concerning "Intoxication and possession of intoxicating
liquor"
Can you imagine the howls of anguish if we stopped every person
carrying an open beer-can?

Jesus! The tube might as well shut down after 9 o'clock if those are
going to be upheld!

Yet people want it open till 2am!

Old May 4th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 May 2004 09:27:32 +0100, Kat
wrote:

In message , SJCWHUK
writes
With some people ignoring the 'let the passengers off the train first' rule
and even smoking on stations and platforms, is it time for zero tolerance?

Is it time to expect London Underground to uphold the Byelaws?

Http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/about/byelaw.asp

Especially concerning "Intoxication and possession of intoxicating
liquor"

Has LUL ever given notice under section 4.2 that intoxicating liquor
IS prohibited?

Section 4.2 doens't actually ban having intoxicating liquor per se:

4.2 "Where reasonable notice is, or has been given prohibiting
intoxicating liquor on any train service, no person shall have any
intoxicating liquor with him on it, or attempt to enter such train
with intoxicating liquor with him. "

Cheers,

Jason.

Old May 5th 04, 12:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"SJCWHUK" wrote in message ...
With some people ignoring the 'let the passengers off the train first' rule
and even smoking on stations and platforms, is it time for zero tolerance?

Is it time to expect London Underground to uphold the Byelaws?

Steve

When London Underground provides a clean, pleasant, fast, reliable
service for its paying customers we'll let the people off the train
first.

And whilist I can appericate and encourage non-smoking underground. I
fail to see the point of not letting people smoke in open air
stations. Im sure there is a reasonable reason why this is banned?
Surely any underground or enclosed station should be non-smoking.
While open air station it'll be allowed. Im sure the station
assistants at Harrow On The Hill station who won't even go an approach
smokers on the open platforms in the evenning would agree with it.
Old May 5th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Especially concerning "Intoxication and possession of intoxicating
liquor"

Has LUL ever given notice under section 4.2 that intoxicating liquor
IS prohibited?

Section 4.2 doens't actually ban having intoxicating liquor per se:

4.2 "Where reasonable notice is, or has been given prohibiting
intoxicating liquor on any train service, no person shall have any
intoxicating liquor with him on it, or attempt to enter such train
with intoxicating liquor with him. "

As part of the Straford Concourse works we put in new lifts to the high
level platforms. I was amazed to discover that you could actually buy
beer at the refreshment place on the platform. Yes, I know that the
high level bit is not run by LUL but it is served by the Central Line.
We used part of the beer cellar to put the lift in and the access to it
is through the lift when its at the bottom position.

So now you know where those doors lead to.

John Haines.

Old May 6th 04, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london

The whole of Stratford station comes under the control of LUL now hence the
ignored no smoking signs on the high level section.

However, I would assume those with existing leases on the premises still
have the right to sell alcohol. I do know that cigarettes cannot be sold on
LUL stations anymore except by those with older leases.

Old May 6th 04, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Strange, the habit of boarding whilst people are alighting seems no
different when the train isn't even full. In fact it seems its not just
about a seat but also which seat on the train they have targeted as the
train pulls in.

As for the Station Assistants approaching customers who are smoking I wholly
agree. Enforcement of Byelaws is best tackled by BTP.

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message m...

Old May 6th 04, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

"SJCWHUK" wrote in message
[...]

It's much simpler to have a complete no smoking ban - no smoking anywhere
on the Underground - rather than "you can do it here but not there". That
way there should be no confusion in people's minds. It also saves the
potential problems of "you can smoke on an open air platform, but not
within the station building" scenarios.

Roger