Old May 12th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What to see on the tube

In article , Roland Perry
writes
I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

On the East London Line, as well as the Thames Tunnel, the line runs
through the bottom of a (now filled in) dock north of Wapping.

Look out for closed stations. Sometimes empty spaces (as at South
Kentish Town), sometimes walls (as at Down Street). At Tower Hill you
can still see the staircases.

On a northbound Northern Line CX Branch train approaching Camden Town,
you can see the other platform from the one you're going to use.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old May 12th 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Martin Rich) wrote:

My understanding was that with the technology of 1000 or so years ago,
hydraulic lifts were easier than electric lifts to make safe - to the
extent that they wouldn't plunge down the lift shaft in the event of a
failure

1000 year old lifts? Wow!

--
Colin Rosenstiel