Old May 4th 04, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What to see on the tube

I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

Old May 4th 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

The run through Queens Park depot on the Bakerloo line
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Railway Information, News & Photos check out the Award Winning Railways

Old May 4th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 May 2004 13:01:14 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

For those interested in modern architecture I'd suggest some other
stations on the Jubilee Line, especially Westminster - where the
escalator ride is a thrilling experience - and possibly North
Greenwich - which is of similar scale to Canary Wharf.

PaulO

Old May 4th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

Westminster station going down to the Jubilee line.

Old May 4th 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message

I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go
see on the "tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly,
like the crossover at the end of the Oxford St Bakerloo,

Piccadilly Circus, actually.

the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

Wide platforms at Euston, Angel and London Bridge.

Narrow platforms at Claphams North & Common.

River in pipe at head height on Sloane Square platforms. (That reads like a
cryptic crossword clue!)

Bermondsey station, where the geology changes from solid to mushy halfway
along the station, and the station changes from deep tube to deep pit
accordingly.

Tripcock tester at Earls Court District.

Abandoned signal boxes at Woodside Park.

Abandoned passing loops at Brent Cross.

Corridor designed for football crowds at Arsenal station.

Crap short escalator at North Greenwich.

Platform Edge Doors between Westminster and North Greenwich inclusive.

Useless "next southbound train" indicators at the bottom of the Camden Town
escalators.

Platforms shared by different height trains at Ealing Common,. Rayners Lane
etc.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 4th 04, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Abandoned signal boxes at Woodside Park.

Which reminds me, is what looks very much like a signal box on the
Circle (etc) lines at Liverpool St still in use? If not, when did it
cease to be used?

--
Bob Adams
Old May 4th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Bob Adams" wrote in message
In message , John Rowland
writes
Abandoned signal boxes at Woodside Park.

Which reminds me, is what looks very much like a signal box on the
Circle (etc) lines at Liverpool St still in use? If not, when did it
cease to be used?

It's still a signal box, but the signal control centre located at Baker
Street now controls the signals and points. It's been 'de-personed' for
quite a while, Farringdon signal cabin used to control it till that was also
taken over.

Old May 4th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

You seem to have included DLR as well as the Tube

well let's see

Aldgate Station - junctions both ends and curved platforms.

Waterloo W&C - you can just see the depot. Crane at street level near
Lower Marsh for access into the depot!

Southwark JLE - blue tiling as you exit the escalators as well as the
link up to Waterloo East - a ticket hall with no street entrance!

Northfields / Acton Town / Arnos Grove / Oakwood / Cockfosters - Holden
type stations. Southgate for the circular ticket hall and escalator
uplighters.

Hounslow East - new ticket hall.

Oval / Clapham North / Tooting Broadway / Colliers Wood - more
distinctive architecture.

Morden - junction at north end of station.

Canary Wharf / North Greenwich / Stratford on the JLE

Barkingside on the Central Line - another world and most unlike a Tube
Station. Some of the Met Line stations qualify in this regard too.

Wembley Park - before they knock it down. The Contractors are moving on
to site as we speak.

Piccadilly Circus - partly for the circular ticket hall, partly for the
Bakerloo crossover.

White City - again some to be changed beyond all recognition.
East Acton - wrong direction running to White City and flyunder.

Baker St - because it's a bit like a Tube version of a main line
terminus and because of the eclectic range of styles in different parts
of the station.

Bank - curved central line platforms, DLR interface, multiple ticket
halls and W&C Travelators.

Waterloo - for similar reasons to Bank. Find the 5 ticket halls.

Maida Vale / Kilburn Park - Leslie Green style ticket hall buildings.

Mornington Crescent / Russell Square / Gloucester Road - Leslie Green
ticket halls.

Earls Court - very busy junction. Ancient style destination indicators.

DLR - West India Quay / Canary Wharf / tunnel under Thames / Beckton
extension in the median strip of a road / Canning Town up and over the
JLE / hang on tight curve from All Saints to Poplar / Greenwich station
link with South East Trains station / alignment to Lewisham from
Greenwich.

Whitechapel - District / H&C track layout will change soon so if you
want to see it in action look now. Also Whitechapel is a bit odd with
mixed levels plus the ELL platforms.

Wapping - Brunel tunnel.

Shoreditch - just to say you've been there in case it does get closed.

Stamford Brook - only one island platform and one side platform. Most
odd in the middle of the joint Dis / Picc Alignment.

Victoria Line - tiled station symbols on all plaforms except Oxford
Circus Northbound. Also the humped platforms at Finsbury Park - also
stand at the southernmost end of the n/b Vic Line platform and watch the
Picc Trains come past the crossover.

South Ruislip - West Ruislip - view of Ruislip depot.
Neasden - Wembley park - view of Neasden depot
West Ham - Stratford - view of Stratford depot
Acton Town - Ealing Common - view of Ealing Common depot
Northfields - Boston Manor - view of Northfields depot
Cockfosters - Oakwood - view of Cockfosters depot.
Golders Green - limited view of Golders Green depot.

I'll stop now because there is just loads to see. Half the fun is simply
to take a ride on a line and watch what flies past the window. If you
don't own a copy try hunting down a copy of David Leboff's London
Underground Stations book.

Happy hunting.
--
Paul C

Old May 4th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 4 May 2004 at 13:01:14, Roland Perry wrote:

I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the "tube"
on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end of the
Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out of
Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

Scissors crossover outside Brixton Station? Not that you can really
*see* it, as such....

If you get on an Eastbound District Line train from Tower Hill, you can
see the Circle Line station at Aldgate before the train you are on stops
at Aldgate East.

My personal favourite is the DLR to Lewisham, as it is so varied, but I
was thinking this morning (only I didn't have time) of extending my DLR
ride to Cyprus, just so I could say I'd been there!
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old May 4th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Roland Perry
writes

I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

Baker Street for a quite effective reconstruction of the look and feel
(if not the smell) of the original Metropolitan line station at platform
level - Gloucester Road, too, where you can also see the Platform for
Art. Can your itinerary include a stop off at Covent Garden for the LT
museum?

--
Paul Terry