Old May 7th 04, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What to see on the tube

Tom Anderson wrote the following in:

On Thu, 6 May 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Marratxi" wrote
in message ...

How about Farringdon?

Also you can watch the Thameslink trains put their pantographs up
and down.

You can do this for the North London Line at Dalston, i think. Not
that the NLL is tube; a change is as good as a rest, though!

You can do it on the NLL at Camden Road. When getting off a train there
I always wait for it to happen. Unfortunately last time I was there I
missed it happening because I was too busy taking a photo of the
defaced sign on the platform. If you're interested, here they a

http://personal.lse.ac.uk/mayr/set118_01.jpg
http://personal.lse.ac.uk/mayr/set118_03.jpg

--
message by Robin May, but I would say that, wouldn't I?
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.

Old May 8th 04, 08:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote:

John Rowland wrote

[re which bits of the Strand Underpass were formerly the Kingsway tram
subway]:

The flat bits are original tunnel, the ramps are new construction.

Ah, thanks. I'll have to notice properly next month, when we go again!

You won't be able to see any trace, though. When the underpass was
constructed, false walls, a false ceiling, and a new floor were constructed.
I understand that the original tram conduits now form the drainage system.

--
MetroGnome
~~~~~~~~~~

Old May 8th 04, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

# Finsbury Park (southbound Piccadilly line), Highbury & Islington
(northbound WAGN), Euston (northbound Northern Line, City branch) -
tracks diverted in the 60s to give cross-platform interchange with
the
new Victoria Line, with the old course just about visible at each
end
of the diversions. (Similar tunnels also visible on the Northern
Line
near Angel, London Bridge and Borough, albeit for somewhat
different
reasons.)

And at Stockwell, didn't the Northern Line swap a track with the
Victoria Line to enable cross-platform interchanges?

No, the Northern remained in the same place - the Victoria Line just came
up either side of it.

The remnants of the siding/access to depot at Stockwell are still visible
through the train window on the SB Northern Line approach - unless you
blink, then you'll miss them :-)

Roger
Old May 8th 04, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 8 May 2004 at 09:49:38, MetroGnome
wrote:

"Annabel Smyth" wrote:

John Rowland wrote

[re which bits of the Strand Underpass were formerly the Kingsway tram
subway]:

The flat bits are original tunnel, the ramps are new construction.

Ah, thanks. I'll have to notice properly next month, when we go again!

You won't be able to see any trace, though. When the underpass was
constructed, false walls, a false ceiling, and a new floor were constructed.
I understand that the original tram conduits now form the drainage system.

Thanks! That makes sense.... but at least I'll know....
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004
Old May 8th 04, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

How about the big tunnel machine that was used to build the Waterloo and
City line, then abandoned somewhere in the vicinity of Bank station, then
rediscovered when the station was modified to accommodate the DLR, and which
you can now walk through on one of the new connecting corridors.

Andrew

Old May 8th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Moorgate SB
The stub at the south end of the platform where the engine siding used to
be.

Roger

I always wondered what that was...... thanks.

Andrew

Old May 8th 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Andrew
writes
How about the big tunnel machine that was used to build the Waterloo and
City line, then abandoned somewhere in the vicinity of Bank station, then
rediscovered when the station was modified to accommodate the DLR, and which
you can now walk through on one of the new connecting corridors.

That's one I hadn't heard about before. How obvious is it that you are
inside it?
Old May 8th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
That's one I hadn't heard about before. How obvious is it that you are
inside it?

It's fairly unmistakeable once you're the a large red-painted ring round
the otherwise tiled subway. IIRC there's also a small plaque there.

There's another tunnelling shield visible at the end of the over-run tunnel
at Moorgate Platform 10.

Old May 8th 04, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , Andrew
writes
How about the big tunnel machine that was used to build the Waterloo and
City line, then abandoned somewhere in the vicinity of Bank station, then
rediscovered when the station was modified to accommodate the DLR, and

which
you can now walk through on one of the new connecting corridors.

That's one I hadn't heard about before. How obvious is it that you are
inside it?

It's painted red so stands out in the white tiling quite well. It actually
looks like a few exposed iron tunnel segments but is in fact part of the
tunnel shield I think. It's at a slight bend in the passage, and has a
small sign explaining what it is. I think it's on the corridor connecting
the Waterloo and City to the DLR.

Andrew.

Old May 8th 04, 08:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Roland Perry" wrote:

How about the big tunnel machine that was used to build the Waterloo and
City line, then abandoned somewhere in the vicinity of Bank station,
then rediscovered when the station was modified to accommodate the DLR,
and which you can now walk through on one of the new connecting
corridors.

That's one I hadn't heard about before. How obvious is it that you are
inside it?

Strange that you hadn't heard of it - it was mentioned earlier in the
thread! (Mark Brader and Paul Corfield referred to it.)

Calling it a "big tunnel machine" is probably overstating it somewhat,
though. It is the original W&C Greathead Shield, but there is no machinery
there - just the shield itself (ie a red-painted metal ring, a little larger
than the main tunnel), which you walk through. It is located in what was
one of the W&C over-run tunnels at Bank, which was converted into the
pedestrian link to the DLR in the early 90s.

"David Splett" wrote:

There's another tunnelling shield visible at the end of the over-run
tunnel at Moorgate Platform 10.

That is perhaps more interesting, as it seems to still have some framework
inside (although this is a little difficult to make out). I *think* that
the item on display at Cutty Sark & Maritime Greenwich is a proper Tunnel
Boring Machine (complete with "teeth"), but I could be wrong.

The Greathead Shield that was used to build the Rotherhithe (road) Tunnel is
also still on display. One half of it forms an archway over the approach
road at one end, with the other half similarly at the other end. The
southern approach is but a stone's throw from Rotherhithe station.

--
MetroGnome