Old May 8th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default What to see on the tube

Roland Perry wrote in message ...
In message , Annabel Smyth
writes
# Finsbury Park and Arsenal - deep tube platforms that aren't that deep,
and are accessed from the street only by stairs (with, at Finsbury Park,
spiral staircases in the former lift shafts to the main line station
high above).

What happened to those lifts, and why are they no longer used?

Taken out a very long time ago, if the state of wear on the stair treads
is anything to go by. Perhaps they didn't have the required capacity
when the passengers from the Victoria line were added.

They were the last hydraulic lifts on the system.

(I'd better qualify that - the last 'proper' hydraulic lifts, as
opposed to some modern electro-hydraulic installations on the DLR).

Old May 8th 04, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth:
What happened to those [Finsbury Park] lifts...?

Roland Perry:
Taken out a very long time ago ... Perhaps they didn't have the
required capacity ...

"Kev":
They were the last hydraulic lifts on the system.

(I'd better qualify that - the last 'proper' hydraulic lifts, as
opposed to some modern electro-hydraulic installations on the DLR).

Okay, what's the distinction here? How does a "proper" hydraulic one work?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "When you're up to your ass in alligators, maybe
Old May 8th 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mark Brader
writes
Annabel Smyth:
What happened to those [Finsbury Park] lifts...?

Roland Perry:
Taken out a very long time ago ... Perhaps they didn't have the
required capacity ...

"Kev":
They were the last hydraulic lifts on the system.

(I'd better qualify that - the last 'proper' hydraulic lifts, as
opposed to some modern electro-hydraulic installations on the DLR).

Okay, what's the distinction here? How does a "proper" hydraulic one work?

Guessing wildly here (and probably wrong) but there were many hydraulic
lifts in London worked by a distributed system. It went out of business
a long time ago, and iirc the pipes were bought by a telco for putting
fibre through.
Old May 9th 04, 06:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Annabel Smyth:
What happened to those [Finsbury Park] lifts...?

Roland Perry:
Taken out a very long time ago ...

"Kev":
They were the last hydraulic lifts on the system.

(I'd better qualify that - the last 'proper'
hydraulic lifts, as opposed to some modern
electro-hydraulic installations on the DLR).

Okay, what's the distinction here?

There used to be hydraulic mains in London supplying pressurised water all
over the city for the operation of lifts (and perhaps other machinery). In
an electro-hydraulic lift, the electrical power coming into the building
would be used to pressurise water on site.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 9th 04, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/05/2004 13:01, in article , "Roland Perry"
wrote:

I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

At least two locations on LU have switches which may well be unique to LU,
inasmuch as they can be set with both blades open, when they act as
catchpoints. The locations are a) east end of Earls Court District station,
and b) the turnback siding beyond West Hampstead (Jubilee Line). a
photograph of the latter appears on p.150 of "Principles of London
Underground Operations" by John Glover.

Old May 10th 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Kev":
They were the last hydraulic lifts on the system.

(I'd better qualify that - the last 'proper'
hydraulic lifts, as opposed to some modern
electro-hydraulic installations on the DLR).

Mark Brader:
Okay, what's the distinction here?

John Rowland:
There used to be hydraulic mains in London supplying pressurised water
all over the city ...

London Hydraulic Power Company, as it misleadingly says on the entrance
building to the Tower Subway. I didn't know that Underground lifts
were among the machines they powered, though. Thanks.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "*Nature*, Mr. Allnutt, is what we are put in this
Old May 10th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

I'm trying to compile a list of interesting things to go see on the
"tube" on a day trip. Engineering mainly, like the crossover at the
end
of the Oxford St Bakerloo, the scale of Canary Wharf and the tunnel
out
of Bank-DLR. What others can the team suggest?

At least two locations on LU have switches which may well be unique to
LU,
inasmuch as they can be set with both blades open, when they act as
catchpoints. The locations are a) east end of Earls Court District
station,
and b) the turnback siding beyond West Hampstead (Jubilee Line). a
photograph of the latter appears on p.150 of "Principles of London
Underground Operations" by John Glover.

These can be found at various locations, usually at the exit from sidings
and where there is no space for the standard sand drag or arrestor. They
effectively put the train "on the deck" if the points aren't set and the
train carries on (the space between the running rails just gets wider and
wider until the bogie eventually drops off!).

On the Northern Line these can be found at:
Archway siding, Finchley Central south siding and Tooting Broadway siding
diagrams are on Tubeprune's web site at:

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/no...20diagrams.htm

Roger
Old May 10th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland:
There used to be hydraulic mains in London supplying pressurised water
all over the city ...

London Hydraulic Power Company, as it misleadingly says on the entrance
building to the Tower Subway. I didn't know that Underground lifts
were among the machines they powered, though. Thanks.
--

The original City & South London Railway lifts were hydraulic ones, I
don't know if they were supplied from that company.

Roger
Old May 10th 04, 02:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

They can also be seen at Rayners Lane.

Brad
Old May 10th 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
wrote:
In article ,
(Bob Watt)
wrote:

On 04/05/2004 13:01, in article ,
"Roland Perry"
wrote:

[...]

See also Hammersmith siding, both ends, and Wood Lane. Probably Down Street
is simlarly equipped.