Old May 6th 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Zac Zac is offline

Default Totteridge & Whetstone / Oakleigh Park BR

My girlfriend is moving to Whetstone. I have only ever been there once,
pretty sure I used Tott & Whet. LU station. It was right out in the
country.

Any info regarding the links into London (Tottenham Court Road Probably) and
also gen. opinion of the area would be good.

Old May 6th 04, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"zac" wrote in message

My girlfriend is moving to Whetstone. I have only
ever been there once, pretty sure I used Tott &
Whet. LU station. It was right out in the country.

Any info regarding the links into London (Tottenham
Court Road Probably) and also gen. opinion
of the area would be good.

Every single part of Totteridge, Whetstone and Oakleigh Park is as near to
perfectly safe as you will ever find at any time of day or night. All of the
pubs are safe. The only cinema is Barnet Odeon at the junction of Greta
North Road and Station Road. The only theatre was the Bull Arts Centre in
Barnet High Street, but that is closing and moving to North Finchley (approx
at the north end of Ballards Lane). The Waitrose supermarket is okay. The
only real problem in the area is the large amount of traffic on the main
roads and on St Margarets Avenue.

The Northern Line to Tottenham Court Road is not as frequent or reliable as
some other Tube lines, but it beats pretty much any BR line.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 6th 04, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"zac" wrote in message

My girlfriend is moving to Whetstone. I have only
ever been there once, pretty sure I used Tott &
Whet. LU station. It was right out in the country.

Any info regarding the links into London (Tottenham
Court Road Probably) and also gen. opinion
of the area would be good.

Every single part of Totteridge, Whetstone and Oakleigh Park is as near to
perfectly safe as you will ever find at any time of day or night.

As John has said, it's a pleasant and safe area. I lived there for a year
and found the daily Northern Line grind particularly dispiriting though. Far
more so than any other regular journey I've ever done (you should get a seat
in the morning, though). I chose to live round there for the 'country' feel
alluded to in the OP and still being within a reasonable tube journey of
town. A year later I moved back to zone 2...

The Northern Line does, of course, serve Tottenham Court Road so at least
there's no changing involved.

I never really found much to do in Totteridge or Whetstone. The Orange Tree
is (was) a nice pub and Totteridge is certainly green.

The Northern Line to Tottenham Court Road is not as frequent or reliable

as
some other Tube lines, but it beats pretty much any BR line.

I found the BR ok but I lived some distance from Oakleigh Park. As I said,
daily use of the Northern Line depressed me beyond belief but there's not
really another option! The buses seemed ok on the rare occasions I used
them.

HTH,

Tom

Old May 7th 04, 06:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 May 2004 13:34:49 +0000 (UTC), "zac"
wrote:

My girlfriend is moving to Whetstone. I have only ever been there once,
pretty sure I used Tott & Whet. LU station. It was right out in the
country.

If you go perhaps half a mile west of Totteridge and Whetstone station
you're in a very affluent area with huge detached houses set back from
the road - hence perhaps the country feel. The areas close to the
station and to the east of it are pleasant (if perhaps rather bland)
middle-class suburbs.

Martin
Old May 7th 04, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 6 May 2004 at 19:30:27, Tom Cordiner
wrote:

I never really found much to do in Totteridge or Whetstone. The Orange Tree
is (was) a nice pub and Totteridge is certainly green.

Is the cemetery still open? I ask, because I believe my grandfather,
who died before I was born, is buried there, and it might be nice one
day to go and see and put a flower on his grave....
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004

Old May 7th 04, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
news

Is the cemetery still open?

There is no cemetery as such, but the church in Totteridge Village has a
little graveyard beside it, and I don't think there is anything to stop
people walking in.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old May 7th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
news

Is the cemetery still open?

There is no cemetery as such, but the church in
Totteridge Village has a little graveyard beside it,
and I don't think there is anything to stop people walking in.

Living people, that is.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped