Old May 10th 04, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Gatwick Heatrow

Sorry if this is a faq, I am italian.
The question is: which is the cheapest way to go from Gatwick airport to
Heatrow airport (and viceversa)?
Outbound is on 19th may, inbound is 23rd may.
Thank you.

Old May 10th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Aglians" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a faq, I am italian.
The question is: which is the cheapest way to go from Gatwick airport to
Heatrow airport (and viceversa)?
Outbound is on 19th may, inbound is 23rd may.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/home.cfm

Is an express coach service, traffic can be bad on this part of the
motorway, so I would add another 30/40 mins to the quoted times at morning
and afternoon rush times. Train would be difficult as you would have to go
into London and then out again, the coach goes around London although on a
very busy motorway that has some construction work at the moment.

good luck...

Old May 11th 04, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:49:33 +0100, tfp ntl
wrote in A0Rnc.103$Kh1.67@newsfe1-win:

"Aglians" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a faq, I am italian.
The question is: which is the cheapest way to go from Gatwick airport to
Heatrow airport (and viceversa)?
Outbound is on 19th may, inbound is 23rd may.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/home.cfm

If I recall correctly, buying a return ticket in advance is(was)
£14, a good saving over two £10 single tickets.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old May 11th 04, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Aglians" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a faq, I am italian.
The question is: which is the cheapest way to go from Gatwick airport

Heatrow airport (and viceversa)?
Outbound is on 19th may, inbound is 23rd may.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/home.cfm

If I recall correctly, buying a return ticket in advance is(was)
£14, a good saving over two £10 single tickets.

The site http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/home.cfm
says the the cost is £34 return.
How can I get the £14 ticket?
Thank You

Old May 11th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry if this is a faq, I am italian.
The question is: which is the cheapest way to go from Gatwick airport

Heatrow airport (and viceversa)?
Outbound is on 19th may, inbound is 23rd may.

Here's my suggestion for the cheapest way to get between the 2 airports.

1) Buy a "Network Away break" train ticket between Gatwick Airport and West
Brompton, this is a return ticket and there are direct trains on weekdays
every hour. Cost £16.40
2) At west brompton get off the train and go to the ticket office in the
station. Here ask for an oyster card with £5 pre pay credit on it. (You'll
need to pay a £3 deposit to get the card).
3) Use the oyster card to take the tube from West Brompton to Earls Court
(District Line). Here change to take the Picadilly Line direct to Heathrow
Airport. This part journey will use £2.30 pre-pay credit up on your oyster
card.
4) On your return, again take the picaddily line to Earls Court then to West
Brompton. As this is a weekend, the journey will only cost £1. At West
brompton, take your oyster card back to the ticket office and get your £3
deposit back and the remaining £1.70 credit on the card.
5) Use the return part of the Network Away break to get the train from West
Brompton to Gatwick Airport.

Total cost = £16.20 + £2.30 + £1 = £19.50
It might be complex, but it is cheap!!! Depending on the time of day, the
journey may take up to 3 hours.

The only problems you *may have*
- You may need to change trains at clapham junction, as on the sunday there
may not be a direct train.
- The ticket office at west brompton may be closed. That means you'll have
to use the ticket machine, which will charge higher prices.

Ian

Old May 11th 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Sorry if this is a faq, I am italian.
The question is: which is the cheapest way to go from Gatwick airport to
Heatrow airport (and viceversa)?
Outbound is on 19th may, inbound is 23rd may.
Thank you.

Probably £23.60:

£16 Standard Open Return (Southern/South Central) Gatwick - London
Victoria
Plus
2x £3.80 Zones 1-6 Single

From Gatwick Airport, catch a train to London Victoria marked Southern
or South Central (NOT Gatwick Express). At Victoria go down to the
Westbound District Line platform. Catch a train going to Ealing
Broadway or Richmond (NOT Wimbledon, Putney Bridge, Parson's Green,
Kensington Olympia, or Circle). At Baron's Court catch a Piccadilly
Line train to Heathrow Airport (NOT Rayner's Lane or Uxbridge).

Returning, take the first Piccadilly Line train to Hammersmith, and
change to the first District Line train across the platform (if the
destination is showing as High St Kensington, get off at Earl's Court
and wait for a train on the same platform (1/2 - either face) going to
Tower Hill, Upminster, Plaistow, Barking, or Whitechapel (not Edgware
Rd or High St Kensington)). Stay on until Victoria. At Victoria go up
into the half of the station with platforms 9-19. Get the first train
Southern/South Central that calls at Gatwick Airport (these tend to
show Hastings, Eastbourne, Littlehampton, Bognor Regis, Portsmouth, or
Southampton as their destination).
Old May 11th 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 11 May 2004 15:49:21 +0200, Aglians
wrote in :

"Aglians" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a faq, I am italian.
The question is: which is the cheapest way to go from Gatwick airport

Heatrow airport (and viceversa)?
Outbound is on 19th may, inbound is 23rd may.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/home.cfm

If I recall correctly, buying a return ticket in advance is(was)
£14, a good saving over two £10 single tickets.

The site http://www.nationalexpress.com/nxairport/home.cfm
says the the cost is £34 return.
How can I get the £14 ticket?

I might have misremembered -- my records show return trips on
06/04 and 11/04/03 and again 31/08-09/09/03 as both costing £20. So maybe
it was ~£16 each way and £20 return.

Hmm, I can't get a fare cheaper than £34 at the moment either;
maybe they've changed their rules or fare structure -- or it's too
late at night for me to be driving a computer. :-/ Sorry...

Old May 12th 04, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks to all. I think, however, we will get the coach because we are a 35
persons group. Do you know what does mean to lead 35 italians into the tube?
National express applies a 10% discount for groups.
Another question: can ticket office print a bill for the payment of 35
tickets?
Thank You again.

Old May 12th 04, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
dan dan is offline

"Aglians" wrote in message ...
Thanks to all. I think, however, we will get the coach because we are a 35
persons group. Do you know what does mean to lead 35 italians into the tube?
National express applies a 10% discount for groups.
Another question: can ticket office print a bill for the payment of 35
tickets?
Thank You again.

If you're such a big group it may be cheaper and more convenient to
hire minibus taxis.

I just googled and found for example, this company which will supply
8-seater minibuses

http://www.adlg.co.uk/mini_bus.htm

Good luck with your trip!

Dan