Old February 10th 19, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kingston to Eastbourne bus

Waiting at a bus stop yesterday, I noticed the times for a
few-days-a-year return bus service from Kingston to Eastbourne.

Why does this exist?

Does anyone actually spend 3h 5min on a bus to Eastbourne, rather than
take a train? Yes, it's cheap, 10 quid return compared to train fares
from GBP8.50 single... but you would spend more of the day on the bus
than in Eastbourne. It looks like coffin-dodger passes are not valid(?).

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old February 10th 19, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
11:22:52 on Sun, 10 Feb 2019, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Waiting at a bus stop yesterday, I noticed the times for a
few-days-a-year return bus service from Kingston to Eastbourne.

Why does this exist?

Does anyone actually spend 3h 5min on a bus to Eastbourne, rather than
take a train?

Easily beaten by the 3hrs 50mins for the Oxford-Cambridge bus.

Yes, it's cheap, 10 quid return compared to train fares from GBP8.50
single... but you would spend more of the day on the bus than in
Eastbourne. It looks like coffin-dodger passes are not valid(?).

The X5 (above) offers an unspecified discount for card-holders before
9:30 which implies they are valid after 9:30.
Old February 10th 19, 12:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 11:45:52 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
11:22:52 on Sun, 10 Feb 2019, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Waiting at a bus stop yesterday, I noticed the times for a
few-days-a-year return bus service from Kingston to Eastbourne.

Why does this exist?

Does anyone actually spend 3h 5min on a bus to Eastbourne, rather than
take a train?

Easily beaten by the 3hrs 50mins for the Oxford-Cambridge bus.

Yes, it's cheap, 10 quid return compared to train fares from GBP8.50
single... but you would spend more of the day on the bus than in
Eastbourne. It looks like coffin-dodger passes are not valid(?).

The X5 (above) offers an unspecified discount for card-holders before
9:30 which implies they are valid after 9:30.

I can see the attraction to many people of a through bus service over a faster rail journey
requiring changes en route.
Old February 10th 19, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/02/2019 11:45, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
11:22:52 on Sun, 10 Feb 2019, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Waiting at a bus stop yesterday, I noticed the times for a
few-days-a-year return bus service from Kingston to Eastbourne.

Why does this exist?

Does anyone actually spend 3h 5min on a bus to Eastbourne, rather than
take a train?

Easily beaten by the 3hrs 50mins for the Oxford-Cambridge bus.

These days aren't those posh vehicles with according to Stagecoach "the
luxury of leather reclining seats, air conditioning and free Wi-Fi" (and
tiolets), rather than ordinary red double-deckers like this
https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakes...hs/35717850435

Yes, it's cheap, 10 quid return compared to train fares from GBP8.50
single... but you would spend more of the day on the bus than in
Eastbourne. It looks like coffin-dodger passes are not valid(?).

The X5 (above) offers an unspecified discount for card-holders before
9:30 which implies they are valid after 9:30.

"Special £7 Return on 774 only for Freedom Pass Holders.No other
concessions available."

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 10th 19, 12:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
12:30:29 on Sun, 10 Feb 2019, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
[...]

What's 774?

Old February 10th 19, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/02/2019 12:55, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
12:30:29 on Sun, 10 Feb 2019, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Waiting at a bus stop yesterday, I noticed the times for a
few-days-a-year return bus service from Kingston to Eastbourne.

Why does this exist?

Does anyone actually spend 3h 5min on a bus to Eastbourne, rather
thanÂ* take a train?
Â*Easily beaten by the 3hrs 50mins for the Oxford-Cambridge bus.

These days aren't those posh vehicles with according to Stagecoach
"the luxury of leather reclining seats, air conditioning and free
Wi-Fi" (and tiolets), rather than ordinary red double-deckers like
this https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakes...hs/35717850435

Yes, it's cheap, 10 quid return compared to train fares from GBP8.50
single... but you would spend more of the day on the bus than in
Eastbourne. It looks like coffin-dodger passes are not valid(?).
Â*The X5 (above) offers an unspecified discount for card-holders
beforeÂ* 9:30 which implies they are valid after 9:30.

"Special £7 Return on 774 only for Freedom Pass Holders.No other
concessions available."

What's 774?

Dorking to Tunbridge Wells or Bluewater, it seems. GoAhead seem to have
a handful of these odd infrequent return services.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 10th 19, 01:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
13:12:32 on Sun, 10 Feb 2019, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
[...]

I was wondering how 774 applied to the X5.
Old February 10th 19, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/02/2019 13:12, Arthur Figgis wrote:
[...]

It seems to me they are a residual example of the once common phenomenon
in London: "days out" using buses. My memory is not reliable but I seem
to recall they were widely advertised on London buses when I
occasionally used them in the late 50s/early 60s. ("Occasionally" as
they cost money so even as a nipper I was expected to walk.)

And lo, the first page of search results yielded

https://www.goaheadlondon.com/events...great-days-out

which includes

"Go-Ahead London is pleased to provide our new ‘77’ services as part of
our special Great Days Out range for winter and spring 2018/2019.

Check out our ‘group friendly’ fares to Tunbridge Wells, Bluewater,
Brighton, Eastbourne Pier; and new destination Portsmouth, departing
from Dorking, Sutton or Kingston."

and

"2 Together return £15"

None of those may be to your taste. But for people who are time-rich,
money poor, they have their attractions.

That said, the lack of advertised loo stops would give me pause for
thought these days

--
Robin
Old February 10th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 10/02/2019 13:30, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
13:12:32 on Sun, 10 Feb 2019, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
Waiting at a bus stop yesterday, I noticed the times for a
few-days-a-year return bus service from Kingston to Eastbourne.

Why does this exist?

Does anyone actually spend 3h 5min on a bus to Eastbourne, rather
thanÂ* take a train?
Â*Easily beaten by the 3hrs 50mins for the Oxford-Cambridge bus.

These days aren't those posh vehicles with according to Stagecoach
"the luxury of leather reclining seats, air conditioning and free
Wi-Fi" (and tiolets), rather than ordinary red double-deckers like
this https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakes...hs/35717850435

Yes, it's cheap, 10 quid return compared to train fares from
GBP8.50Â* single... but you would spend more of the day on the bus
than inÂ* Eastbourne. It looks like coffin-dodger passes are not
valid(?).
Â*The X5 (above) offers an unspecified discount for card-holders
beforeÂ* 9:30 which implies they are valid after 9:30.

"Special £7 Return on 774 only for Freedom Pass Holders.No other
concessions available."
Â*What's 774?

Dorking to Tunbridge Wells or Bluewater, it seems. GoAhead seem to
have a handful of these odd infrequent return services.

I was wondering how 774 applied to the X5.

I was wondering how the X5 applied to transport in (or from) London...

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old February 10th 19, 03:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
13:51:40 on Sun, 10 Feb 2019, Arthur Figgis
remarked:
[...]

It's a well-known example of a bus service with longer end-to-end times
than the OP's. Or do you think residents of Kingston are more fidgety
than those in Oxford or Cambridge?