London Banter

-   -   Class 345 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17659-class-345-a.html)

Roland Perry June 4th 19 02:53 PM

Class 345

In message , at 12:28:42 on Tue, 4 Jun 2019,
Graeme Wall remarked:

Brentwood is interesting, because while still in Essex, it became
simultaneously the "first place in Essex" for people looking outwards,
but "the start of London" for people looking inwards.
Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.

I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.

While not using that exact phrase, they have long corrected people who
attribute them as "Brentwood" residents. Unless of course they live on
the posh private estate in Shenfield (it's a bit like St Georges Hill in
Weybridge) when they might say "Hutton Mount [actually]".

Roland Perry June 4th 19 03:03 PM

Class 345

In message , at 13:43:47 on Tue, 4 Jun 2019,
Basil Jet remarked:

Shenfield is to Brentwood, as Hove is to Brighton.

I've never heard it referred to as Shenfield-Actually.

Quite: there are public buildings with Brentwood in the name east of
Shenfield station.

Fewer than are west of Hove station with "Brighton" in the name.

David Cantrell June 6th 19 09:27 AM

Class 345

On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 10:40:51AM +0100, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , Graeme Wall
writes
On 04/06/2019 03:44, Bryan Morris wrote:
In message , David
Cantrell writes
Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.
Not to be confused with Stratford in the London Borough of Newham ...

I pass through Stratford on the Central Line on the way home and for
whoever thinks Stratford is in Essex should be reminded that going East
from Stratford, London stations include Leyton, Leytonstone, Woodford
Green and Woodford.

London Perl Mongers obviously don't know about London ;)

What on earth are you babbling about? I said that people *would* know
about Stratford and not about Shenfield.

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

All principles of gravity are negated by fear
-- Cartoon Law IV

Robin9 June 7th 19 08:29 AM

There is no station on the Central Line called Woodford Green.
The station is called South Woodford and many moons ago was
called George Lane. Woodford Green itself, one of the best
village greens in London, is up the hill from Woodford Station.