London Banter

-   -   Class 345 (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17659-class-345-a.html)

Basil Jet[_4_] June 3rd 19 03:10 AM

Class 345

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Slug - 2015 - Ripe

Anna Noyd-Dryver June 3rd 19 09:07 AM

Class 345

Basil Jet wrote:

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Highlighting a major destination along the way? Similarly most XC trains
are displayed on the departure boards at Bristol as "via Birmingham".

Think of it more as "Train to Stratford which then continues to Shenfield"
rather than "Train to Shenfield via Stratford rather than some other way".

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Certes June 3rd 19 10:39 AM

Class 345

On 03/06/2019 04:10, Basil Jet wrote:

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield. This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Roland Perry June 3rd 19 11:14 AM

Class 345

In message , at 11:39:17 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Certes remarked:
On 03/06/2019 04:10, Basil Jet wrote:
I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield. This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.

On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

Graeme Wall June 3rd 19 11:27 AM

Class 345

On 03/06/2019 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:39:17 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Certes remarked:
On 03/06/2019 04:10, Basil Jet wrote:
Â*I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
AfterÂ* a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
Â*I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.Â* This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.

On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

It's at the end of the line :-)

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Marland June 3rd 19 12:18 PM

Class 345

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 03/06/2019 12:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:39:17 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Certes remarked:
On 03/06/2019 04:10, Basil Jet wrote:
Â*I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
AfterÂ* a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
Â*I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.Â* This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.

On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

It's at the end of the line :-)

I was part hoping that it would be the shed as as translated to foreign.

Shed Stock Hall Stockel

GH

Graeme Wall June 3rd 19 12:59 PM

Class 345

On 03/06/2019 13:18, Marland wrote:
Graeme Wall wrote:
[...]

Absolutely stockel reason why it should be.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Roland Perry June 3rd 19 01:50 PM

Class 345

In message , at 12:27:00 on Mon, 3 Jun 2019,
Graeme Wall remarked:

*I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford".
After* a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".
*I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Only locals and rail enthusiasts have heard of Shenfield.* This way,
tourists will know that it's somewhere near Stratford-on-Shakespeare.

Even journalists writing about rail have been known to describe
Crossrail as serving Sheffield.
On the other hand, routes like the #1 metro through Brussels cite
"Stockel" as the destination, and I've no idea where or what that is.

It's at the end of the line :-)

Exactly, and all you need to know is that it's a label for the train you
want to catch.

Of course, in the UK we have false labels like Foxton, which means "slow
train to the station after, Cambridge".

David Cantrell June 3rd 19 03:06 PM

Class 345

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 04:10:15AM +0100, Basil Jet wrote:

I saw one in Platform 1 at Paddington at around midnight. The
destination indicator on the side said "Shenfield via Stratford". After
a couple of minutes it changed to "Hayes & Harlington".

I wonder why the "Via Stratford" is felt necessary.

Probably because people wanting stations between Paddington and
Stratford have a chance of knowing where Stratford is but won't be able
to immediately place an irrelevant little town in rural Essex.

People from my sort of background needed grammar schools to
compete with children from privileged homes like ... Tony Benn
-- Margaret Thatcher

Rolf Mantel June 3rd 19 03:38 PM

Class 345

Am 03.06.2019 um 15:50 schrieb Roland Perry:
Exactly, and all you need to know is that it's a label for the train you
want to catch.

Of course, in the UK we have false labels like Foxton, which means "slow
train to the station after, Cambridge".

He have the same false labels in Germany as well, e.g. "Mannheim" for
"Germersheim via Mannheim but if you want to go to Germersheim, please
take the direct train on the other platform"