London Banter

-   -   Bakerloo Line (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1769-bakerloo-line.html)

Alistair Bell May 18th 04 02:33 PM

Bakerloo Line

Ian Tindale wrote in message ...
On the DLR, using the same sort of technology present in the Tardis,
presumably, there's at least one station where the two lines and their
respective platforms are exactly spatially coincident, only temporally out
of phase by several minutes.

I presume you mean Stratford, but as that's a terminus I don't think
it counts.

On the other hand, Tramlink has a couple of Tardis stations: Birkbeck
and Beckenham Road. Birkbeck, of course, is a Tardis station for
Network Rail as well...

Ian Tindale May 18th 04 06:28 PM

Bakerloo Line

Alistair Bell wrote:

Ian Tindale wrote in message
On the DLR, using the same sort of technology present in the Tardis,
presumably, there's at least one station where the two lines and their
respective platforms are exactly spatially coincident, only temporally
out of phase by several minutes.

I presume you mean Stratford, but as that's a terminus I don't think
it counts.

That hub of the metropolis - Pudding Mill Lane?

--
Ian Tindale

Annabel Smyth May 18th 04 07:34 PM

Bakerloo Line

On Tue, 18 May 2004 at 10:01:11, Geoff Marshall
wrote:

.

Couple of stations where they are on top of each other though is St. Pauls,
and the Jubilee at Westminster. Westminster is an amazing station
architecturally speaking!

It's weird - I used it yesterday - but I don't know about "amazing".
But then, I have yet to change from District/Circle to Jubilee there;
yesterday I went in from the street.

Thanks for the answers, by the way.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004

Dave Arquati May 18th 04 08:35 PM

Bakerloo Line

Ian Tindale wrote:

Alistair Bell wrote:

Ian Tindale wrote in message

On the DLR, using the same sort of technology present in the Tardis,
presumably, there's at least one station where the two lines and their
respective platforms are exactly spatially coincident, only temporally
out of phase by several minutes.

I presume you mean Stratford, but as that's a terminus I don't think
it counts.

That hub of the metropolis - Pudding Mill Lane?

I'm afraid the lines at Pudding Mill Lane are not spatially coincident.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Clive D. W. Feather May 18th 04 09:38 PM

Bakerloo Line

In article , Mark Brader
writes
Is it my imagination, or are the two tunnels one on top of the other at
Waterloo? And where else on the network does this apply?

Several places. The layout tables in CULG show them.

But not for the Bakerloo at Waterloo, they don't.

That would be because they're not vertically aligned there.

[I ought to find a notation for that sort of vertically staggered
layout.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Mark Brader May 19th 04 12:21 AM

Bakerloo Line

Clive Feather and I (Mark Brader) then wrote:
Several places. The layout tables in CULG show them.

But not for the Bakerloo at Waterloo, they don't.

That would be because they're not vertically aligned there.

However, other people answered Annabel's query "yes". So how exactly
*are* they aligned?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Men! Give them enough rope and they'll dig

Roland Perry May 19th 04 01:24 AM

Bakerloo Line

In message , Mark Brader
writes
That would be because they're not vertically aligned there.

However, other people answered Annabel's query "yes". So how exactly
*are* they aligned?

One is above the other, and where you normally enter the platforms from
the side passage it feels as if one is directly above the other.
However, one or both of the platforms has a curve [1] and so it's quite
conceivable that they aren't totally one above the other for the whole
length.

So it really comes down to what "vertically aligned" means.

[1] I'm pretty sure the northbound bends significantly anticlockwise.

Geoff Marshall May 19th 04 07:40 AM

Bakerloo Line

I thought of another one ('cause I went through it yesterday) - Oval! The
northbound tunnel sits directly on top of the southbound one.

Westminster? Yeah.. change to or from the Jubilee and you'll see what I
mean. It's like being on the Death Star. (Not that i've actually ever been
on the Death Star, but you know what I mean...)

"Geoff Marshall" wrote in message
They're not directly on top of each other.. but almost.. they're at angle
with one above the other.

If you stand towards the front of the southbound platform you can look

down
through grills/vents and see the tops of the trains arriving in the
northbound platform.

Couple of stations where they are on top of each other though is St.

Pauls,
and the Jubilee at Westminster. Westminster is an amazing station
architecturally speaking!

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message
Because so much of the network was up the spout today, I ended up
changing at Waterloo to catch a northbound Bakerloo Line service to
Charing Cross.

John Rowland May 19th 04 08:15 AM

Bakerloo Line

"Alistair Bell" wrote in message
om...
Ian Tindale wrote in message

there's at least one station where the two lines and their
respective platforms are exactly spatially coincident,
only temporally out of phase by several minutes.

Tramlink has a couple of Tardis stations:
Birkbeck and Beckenham Road. Birkbeck, of
course, is a Tardis station for Network Rail as well...

The only real tardis station in Britain is Ware, where (!) the otherwise
entirely double track line becomes single track just for the length of the
platform.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

M J Forbes May 20th 04 07:27 PM

Bakerloo Line

[1] I'm pretty sure the northbound bends significantly anticlockwise.

It [NB] is straight on the entrance to Warty-loo until approximately
half-way down, then it swings left towards the tunnel mouth. The SB is not
*directly* beneath the NB, but slightly offset - and takes more of an arc -
until roughly the front third of the train is "straight", the rear
two-thirds are "bent" :)

This is from daily personal observations only - and I'm willing to be
corrected