Old December 5th 19, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Reading Is Now On The Tube Map

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 09:59:42 -0000 (UTC), Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
I've always thought the Lea should be shown on the tube map. It imposes
itself on travellers even more than the Thames does above their confluence.

Didn't TfL remove the Thames from the Tube map for a while?

Yes, in 2009.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/h...00/8259435.stm

Old December 5th 19, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/12/2019 11:47, Roland Perry wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading

Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".

The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old December 5th 19, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/12/2019 11:47, Roland Perry wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading

Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".

The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.

We know, as you've told us before. But most people who actually use the
system, and TfL itself, now generally call the whole LU system 'The Tube'.

Presumably you'd regard Crossrail as a Tube line? It will run through deep
bored tunnels under London, uses the same ticketing system, and has similar
style trains. All of its central London stations are shared with LU.

Old December 5th 19, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 05/12/2019 22:34, Recliner wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/12/2019 11:47, Roland Perry wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading

Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".

The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.

We know, as you've told us before. But most people who actually use the
system, and TfL itself, now generally call the whole LU system 'The Tube'.

Doesn't make them right.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old December 6th 19, 12:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/12/2019 11:47, Roland Perry wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading

Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".

The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.

We know, as you've told us before. But most people who actually use the
system, and TfL itself, now generally call the whole LU system 'The Tube'.

Doesn't make them right.

You have a particular snapshot of history. It's no more right or wrong than
any other snapshot of history.

But it's out of line with the present. I'd suggest that the millions of
contemporary Londoners outvote you.

Old December 6th 19, 04:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 04/12/2019 11:47, Roland Perry wrote:
https://londonist.com/london/transpo...-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading

Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".

The only thing I regard as the "tube" are the deep level tunnels.

We know, as you've told us before. But most people who actually use the
system, and TfL itself, now generally call the whole LU system 'The
Tube'.

Doesn't make them right.

So the organisation which owns and runs the tube doesn't know what its
names are, and neither do any of the London media or the London-based
national media, but a retired bus driver in Aberdeen does.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Einstürzende Neubauten - 1981 - Kollaps
Old December 6th 19, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/12/2019 04:03, Basil Jet wrote:

So the organisation which owns and runs the tube doesn't know what its
names are, and neither do any of the London media or the London-based
national media, but a retired bus driver in Aberdeen does.

A retired bus driver who grew up in London using the system, yes.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old December 17th 19, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rail

tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 11:47:19 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

https://londonist.com/london/transpo...-map-december-
2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading

Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".

That must be the most geographically confusing part of the map ever! A
tourist might well think that Reading was a mere stroll from Northolt.

Anyway, that's a reminder for me to try out my Freedom pass on the new
route in about 10 days.

even though I know that it's supposed to be valid

The freedom pass travel map doesn't appear to be updated to include it

The map has now been updated:
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/download/file/fid/25897

They've managed to do it without mangling the geography too much (apart
from river crossings).

Old January 11th 20, 01:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Op 4-12-2019 om 23:20 schreef Recliner:
Richard wrote:
On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 11:47, Roland Perry wrote:

https://londonist.com/london/transport/new-tube-map-december-2019-crossrail-elizabeth-line-reading

Apologies to those who don't regard TfL Reading services as "The Tube".

Apology accepted, I don't think it is! The map is getting ever more
'who runs it' than 'what is it', and to have Reading but not
Thameslink or Surbiton (of course) is ridiculous. It should be a map
of London's frequent rail services, extended to reasonable outlying
places like Shenfield, Watford, Dartford and Epsom and that's about
it. There have been maps like that, but I think this should be the
standard. Infrequent lines and stations could be shown differently to
avoid over-complication.

Yes, this map should be called the TfL trains map (obviously not TfL Rail,
as that's already used). It's crazy that it ignores the GN Moorgate line
and Thameslink. But there is a more complete map available:

https://londonmap360.com/carte/pdf/en/london-rail-map.pdf

I'm not sure how often this is updated.

When needed. Probably each year.
You showed the december 2013 version.

Here is the december 2019 version (with Reading on the map):
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

or the "large print":
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/large-print-tube-map.pdf

These maps and other you can find he
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube

including the Night Tube and London Overground Map

Rink

Old January 11th 20, 01:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard wrote:
[...]

Is there a more up to date version?

Here is the december 2019 version (with Reading on the map):
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

That's a different map.

or the "large print":
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/large-print-tube-map.pdf

These maps and other you can find he
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube

You seem to be confused. Tube maps are not the same as rail maps. What
you've linked to is the new version of a completely different map.