Old January 6th 20, 02:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail delayed until final quarter of 2021

He said: “If you wandered around the stations, as I did at this time
last year, these stations looked as though they were complete.

“I went back a few months later and tiles had to be taken away,
platforms had to be re-opened up because of some of the wiring of the
system, some of the processes and equipment which were supposed to have
been installed simply weren’t there.”

https://www.constructionenquirer.com...-opening-date/

I blame white men. When the project was continuously bragging about the
diversity of its workers, it was all going well. But the day they
stopped bragging about the diversity is the day it all went wrong.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
The Fall - 1997 - Levitate

Old January 6th 20, 02:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Basil Jet wrote:
I blame white men. When the project was continuously bragging about the
diversity of its workers, it was all going well. But the day they
stopped bragging about the diversity is the day it all went wrong.

Sounds fair.

--
Natalie Amery. Slashdot: This makes PostgreSQL one step closer to being able
##### to replace Oracle as the de facto RDBMS standard.
Old January 7th 20, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Basil Jet wrote:

He said: “If you wandered around the stations, as I did at this time
last year, these stations looked as though they were complete.

“I went back a few months later and tiles had to be taken away,
platforms had to be re-opened up because of some of the wiring of the
system, some of the processes and equipment which were supposed to have
been installed simply weren’t there.”

https://www.constructionenquirer.com...-opening-date/

I blame white men. When the project was continuously bragging about the
diversity of its workers, it was all going well. But the day they
stopped bragging about the diversity is the day it all went wrong.

More in:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/01/06/crossrail-will-almost-three-years-late-admits-khans-transport/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_em

Transport for London has confirmed fresh delays to Crossrail, the east-west
train line that has already blown its budget by billions of pounds.

Outgoing TfL commissioner Mike Brown confirmed the rail link - Europe’s
biggest infrastructure project - will not start until September 2021.

Crossrail was originally budgeted to cost £15.9bn. Current estimates of the
final bill are £18.25bn.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan had hoped to open Crossrail, known as the Elizabeth
Line, in December 2018. However, a string of problems, in particular with
the testing of signalling, has led to repeated delays.

Mr Brown, TfL commissioner since 2015, told a London Assembly committee:
"What we've looked at is a delay to the later stages of 2021 in terms of
our business planning assumption.

"Clearly both the chief executive of Crossrail, in my regular discussions
with him, the chair and the board of Crossrail, know the imperative of
bringing that date as forward as they can possibly and safely do so,
because of the imperative of getting the revenue to flow into TfL overall.

"The assumption we've made is, I suppose, at the pessimistic end, but it's
at the pragmatic end and you would expect us to take that approach."

The official opening had previously been pushed back to between October
2020 and March 2021. The Crossrail board is set to publish a more detailed
timeline on Thursday. In November, Mr Brown said that up to £650m of extra
cash needed to be injected to finish the project.

TfL has missed out on between £500m and £750m in passenger revenue because
of the delays.