Old June 3rd 20, 02:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New boarding on London's buses

wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 23:08:30 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
At the end of the day it boils down to the simple fact that people are
not going to sit back and put up with lockdown indefinitely. Sooner or
later, people will say enough is enough.

My other half needs new shoes. The high street still looks like Sunday
in the sixties, will she have to go barefoot before she can get any..?

Surely shoes are available to purchase online?

Buying shoes without trying them on first? Really?

I would expect any online shoe retailer to have a system for sending back
things which don't fit, just as online and catalogue retailers of other
clothing items do.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Old June 3rd 20, 02:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 13:43:11 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:25:32 on Wed, 3 Jun
2020, remarked:
If you mean parcel them back up, go queue in the post office for hours behind
some pensioners, hand over money for delivery then yes, its simples.

No, print a pre-paid label and drop it off in a couple of minutes at the
local One-Stop (or similar).

If by local one-stop you mean the post office you still have to queue behind
said pensioners. You can't just lob the parcel over the counter or dump it
in a sack and leg it. Or not in our one anyway.

plus not having the shoes to wear in the meantime.

Order them in plenty of time.

I don't think many people buy shoes or clothes because they're about to
run out.

So why wouldn't you have any shoes to wear?

Huh? The point you and others are missing is that with clothes, shoes and
a number of other products , eg cars, its a very VERY good idea to try before
you buy. Or risk serious disappointment.

Thats up to you. I only order online when I don't have a choice because shops
don't sell it - eg gym equipment. Otherwise going to a physical shop is a lot
simpler.

Physical shops have a very limited selection in my size.

Thats unfortunate, but you're clearly a special case. Most people can buy
shoes that fit in shops.

Old June 3rd 20, 02:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:24:20 on Wed, 3 Jun
2020, remarked:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 13:43:11 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:25:32 on Wed, 3 Jun
2020,
remarked:
If you mean parcel them back up, go queue in the post office for hours behind
some pensioners, hand over money for delivery then yes, its simples.

No, print a pre-paid label and drop it off in a couple of minutes at the
local One-Stop (or similar).

If by local one-stop

It's a popular chain of convenience stores M'Lud. Other brands are
available.

you mean the post office you still have to queue behind
said pensioners. You can't just lob the parcel over the counter or dump it
in a sack and leg it. Or not in our one anyway.

plus not having the shoes to wear in the meantime.

Order them in plenty of time.

I don't think many people buy shoes or clothes because they're about to
run out.

So why wouldn't you have any shoes to wear?

Huh? The point you and others are missing is that with clothes, shoes and
a number of other products , eg cars, its a very VERY good idea to try before
you buy. Or risk serious disappointment.

You buy (hanks to the EU) in effect "on approval", and send things back
which don't fit.

Thats up to you. I only order online when I don't have a choice because shops
don't sell it - eg gym equipment. Otherwise going to a physical shop is a lot
simpler.

Physical shops have a very limited selection in my size.

Thats unfortunate, but you're clearly a special case. Most people can buy
shoes that fit in shops.

You'd think, wouldn't you, but I know several people (men and women)
with smaller feet, and it's a significant issue. I also really need a
half-size, which are even rarer.
Old June 3rd 20, 03:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 10:22:16 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jun 2020 10:08:18 +0100
Charles Ellson wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 09:00:02 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 09:38:49 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:25:30 on Wed, 3 Jun
2020,
remarked:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
At the end of the day it boils down to the simple fact that people are
not going to sit back and put up with lockdown indefinitely. Sooner or
later, people will say enough is enough.

My other half needs new shoes. The high street still looks like Sunday
in the sixties, will she have to go barefoot before she can get any..?

Surely shoes are available to purchase online?

Buying shoes without trying them on first? Really?

Thanks to the EU's Distance Selling Directive (which some people
apparently want to see flushed down the toilet as part of the bundle of
Brussels rule-taking) your purchase isn't final until you've had a
chance to try them on and potentially send them back.

Getting your money back isn't the issue, its the hassle of having to send
them back plus not having the shoes to wear in the meantime. Why are some
people so wedded to online that they'll avoid going to an actual shop even
when its a lot simpler?

You leave your shoes until the last available pair falls apart ?

What?

There is an implication that there is no suitable reserve pair of
shoes available while the mail order pair is being returned.
Old June 3rd 20, 03:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 15:33:40 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:24:20 on Wed, 3 Jun
2020, remarked:
If by local one-stop

It's a popular chain of convenience stores M'Lud. Other brands are
available.

Never heard of them.

Huh? The point you and others are missing is that with clothes, shoes and
a number of other products , eg cars, its a very VERY good idea to try before
you buy. Or risk serious disappointment.

You buy (hanks to the EU) in effect "on approval", and send things back
which don't fit.

The EU has nothing to do with being able to return goods not fit for purpose.
Thats been british law for decades and I wouldn't be surprised if we gave them
the idea. Nor were they involved in credit card companies refunding customers
for dodgy goods.

Thats up to you. I only order online when I don't have a choice because

shops
don't sell it - eg gym equipment. Otherwise going to a physical shop is a

lot
simpler.

Physical shops have a very limited selection in my size.

Thats unfortunate, but you're clearly a special case. Most people can buy
shoes that fit in shops.

You'd think, wouldn't you, but I know several people (men and women)
with smaller feet, and it's a significant issue. I also really need a
half-size, which are even rarer.

Just wear the next size up and put in a thick insole. Simples.

Old June 3rd 20, 03:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
At the end of the day it boils down to the simple fact that people are
not going to sit back and put up with lockdown indefinitely. Sooner or
later, people will say enough is enough.

My other half needs new shoes. The high street still looks like Sunday
in the sixties, will she have to go barefoot before she can get any..?

Surely shoes are available to purchase online?

Buying shoes without trying them on first? Really?

I would expect any online shoe retailer to have a system for sending back
things which don't fit, just as online and catalogue retailers of other
clothing items do.

Anyone else seen adverts from Pearlfeet? They have attractive shoes, a
deeply misleading size chart and suggest that if you want to return
something it’ll be to China at your own cost. I have yet to point out to
them at that that’s not a legal way to deal with the customer in the UK.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply
Old June 3rd 20, 03:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 10:43:18 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:00:02 on Wed, 3 Jun
2020, remarked:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
At the end of the day it boils down to the simple fact that people are
not going to sit back and put up with lockdown indefinitely. Sooner or
later, people will say enough is enough.

My other half needs new shoes. The high street still looks like Sunday
in the sixties, will she have to go barefoot before she can get any..?

Surely shoes are available to purchase online?

Buying shoes without trying them on first? Really?

Thanks to the EU's Distance Selling Directive (which some people
apparently want to see flushed down the toilet as part of the bundle of
Brussels rule-taking) your purchase isn't final until you've had a
chance to try them on and potentially send them back.

Getting your money back isn't the issue, its the hassle of having to send
them back

Print out a label, drop it into an inconvenience store. Simples.

If you mean parcel them back up, go queue in the post office for hours behind
some pensioners, hand over money for delivery then yes, its simples.

The return would not require payment.

Many newsagents are parcel-drop locations, not just post offices.

The last items I returned to Amazon were via a Next store, obviously not
possible at the moment.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Old June 3rd 20, 03:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:25:32 on Wed, 3 Jun
2020,
remarked:
If you mean parcel them back up, go queue in the post office for hours behind
some pensioners, hand over money for delivery then yes, its simples.

No, print a pre-paid label and drop it off in a couple of minutes at the
local One-Stop (or similar).

If by local one-stop

It's a popular chain of convenience stores M'Lud. Other brands are
available.

you mean the post office you still have to queue behind
said pensioners.

ITYF most don't need to go to the Post Office any more, one of the
reasons why branches are being closed. Having accompanied someone else
(not a pensioner) a few times to a Post Office recently, today was the
first time we found ourselves waiting behind an elderly person.