Old June 8th 20, 02:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default New Freedom pass peak hour restriction

On 08/06/2020 08:44, wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 10:30:56 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Certes wrote:
On 06/06/2020 10:18, Recliner wrote:
One reason is that evolutionary pressures makes the virus less lethal.
After all, for the virus to survive and thrive, its hosts also needs to
stay well enough to mix with other potential hosts. If a lethal strain of
the virus immediately makes infected hosts ill, and kills many of them, the
virus can't spread. Conversely, if it mutates to cause minimal symptoms, it
will spread widely. So, benign mutations are more successful than lethal
ones.

If we're really lucky, hosts of the benign variant may develop immunity
to the original versions, providing us with a free vaccine.

Yes, that may be part of why pandemics are short-lived. If the benign
version spreads widely, as it's evolved to do, it could mean that the whole
population develops some level of immunity to its nastier cousins.

The alternative method of pandemics stopping is that it kills everyone who
is susceptable. Which is why the black death disappeared for hundreds of
years at a time them came back when genetic immunity had been lost. We're
rather overdue for another dose though cleaner living since the 20th
century in the west and antibiotics has probably done for that particular
disease.

People still get it in the Western USA: Mortality associated with
treated cases of bubonic plague is about 1–15%, compared to a mortality
of 40–60% in untreated cases.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Groj - 2016 - Love You Do

Old June 8th 20, 02:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Charles Ellson wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 08:33:57 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Charles Ellson" wrote in message
On Sun, 7 Jun 2020 10:21:47 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

And, I thought the trains were going to run all night?

Night Tube is suspended indefinitely AIUI.

. along with London's night economy which it serves. For obvious
reasons,
I've not been in a town centre at night lately, but it must be
weirdly
empty, with all pubs, restaurants, theatres, clubs, etc closed.

I was surprised to see one of the burger vans back in the centre of
Bristol
at 3am this week.

Night tube has apparently been losing huge amounts of money since it
began,
so I suspect that it won't return any time soon.

Ah, I didn't know that. They kept on putting out bullish statements on
how
well it was doing, and now popular it's becoming, but not anything on
the
finances. You probably have to dig deep into TfL's financial reports
see
an analysis of Night Tube numbers, if they're published at all.

ISTM that once every 10 minutes (if my Google result was correct - I
can't
look up current schedules) is far too frequent

even busses, which carry far smaller numbers usually only run ever 30
minutes on each route

So surely every 30 minutes is frequent enough for the tube as well

Try that about 04.00 on the Jubilee Line from London to Stanmore and
you won't achieve social distancing if the usual passengers are
present.

if the trains are full and overloaded, why is it making a loss?

Does the Underground make a profit ?

Yes. And due to TfL being, AIUI, the only metropolitan railed transport
network in the country not to receive a subsidy, it also has to
cross-subsidise the loss-making bus network.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Old June 8th 20, 06:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
Recliner wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
GB wrote:

[...]

OTOH the buses (in normal times) probably keep a lot of cars off the
road and feed the Underground.
Old June 8th 20, 10:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

tim... wrote:

"Arthur Figgis" wrote in message
On 06/06/2020 11:11, Roland Perry wrote:

Public transport day-tickets are usually 4am-4am.

Are they? One of the first things I look for when buying them is what they
a I've seen until last service, 00:00-24:00, 24 h from purchase, 24 h
from first use (handy when staying somewhere overnight),

24 hours from first use is common in Europe

but I can't recall anywhere in the UK that uses that method

Blackpool Transport is 24hours from when you purchase the ticket on board
(effectively first use) or when you activate your pre-purchased e-ticket in
the app (which you’d be a fool to do any other time than first use).

Not sure how their Pay Point versions work...

Lew