Old July 31st 20, 09:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR to Thamesmead

This consultation dates from 2020 BC (Before Covid) so I'm not sure if
this project is even alive now. There's a map at
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/202...smead-advance/

I'm mystified by the plan. Would the trains reverse at Beckton to get
there? Or would Beckton have its own service and Thamesmead have its own
service? Extending from Woolwich seems to make more sense - or reversing
at Woolwich, since the trains actually curve around under the river to
come into Woolwich from the east. This would give people in Thamesmead
direct service to Woolwich and City Airport, whereas plugging them into
the Beckton Branch doesn't really give them much. It would also remove
the extra Thames Tunnel from the plan, so should work out cheaper.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Zero 7 - 2006 - The Garden

Old August 1st 20, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/202...o-thamesmead-a
dvance/

I'm mystified by the plan. Would the trains reverse at Beckton to get
there? Or would Beckton have its own service and Thamesmead have its own
service? Extending from Woolwich seems to make more sense - or reversing
at Woolwich, since the trains actually curve around under the river to
come into Woolwich from the east. This would give people in Thamesmead
direct service to Woolwich and City Airport, whereas plugging them into
the Beckton Branch doesn't really give them much. It would also remove
the extra Thames Tunnel from the plan, so should work out cheaper.

IMO the DLR is already too big for what it is and couldn't cope with
the traffic flow even when I last commuted on it in 2014. Any further
transport enhancements in that area should involve the jubilee line.

Old August 1st 20, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Jubilee train = 875 passengers
DLR triple train = 852 passengers

Or maybe you meant something else?

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
Simple Minds - 2005 - Black & White 050505
Old August 1st 20, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

I think the new CAF 5-car DLR trains will have a slightly greater
capacity than the current 3-car DLR fleet.

Or maybe you meant something else?

Also, the central section of the Jubilee line was already running at
max capacity. The last thing it needs is a branch to a new catchment
area.
Old August 1st 20, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Given you can interchange from DLR to Jubilee, that's not going to help
matters much.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old August 1st 20, 04:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Yes, but the DLR also interchanges with the Crossrail, GA and C2C main
lines as well as the District, H&C and Central lines. Those provide better
journey opportunities to most parts of central London than the crowded
Jubilee.

Old August 2nd 20, 11:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

that's irrelevant

It's the loading on the part after the potential split that matters

The question is

"can half of the Stratford trains be diverted to the new destination without
creating overcrowding"

Old August 2nd 20, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

It would make the overcrowding worse on both the core and the Stratford
branch. It's a non-starter.
Old August 2nd 20, 03:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Well for a start the transverse seating in DLR trains severly retricts the
number of standees compared to a jubilee train and secondly the DLR trains
trundle along at a slow to moderate speed, there are far too many stops
and too many branches all cramming their trains into the central sections.

Old August 2nd 20, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

This consultation dates from 2020 BC (Before Covid) so I'm not sure if
this project is even alive now. There's a map at
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/202...smead-advance/

I'm mystified by the plan. Would the trains reverse at Beckton to get
there? Or would Beckton have its own service and Thamesmead have its own
service? Extending from Woolwich seems to make more sense - or reversing
at Woolwich, since the trains actually curve around under the river to
come into Woolwich from the east. This would give people in Thamesmead
direct service to Woolwich and City Airport, whereas plugging them into
the Beckton Branch doesn't really give them much. It would also remove
the extra Thames Tunnel from the plan, so should work out cheaper.

Will we actually need any extension in the future?