Old August 10th 20, 08:40 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash. I asked one of the staff
about this apparently "temporary" measure and he said he doubts the facility
will ever come back and I tend to believe him. So thats another avenue of
anonymity out the window. How long before Oyster cards themselves are
consigned to history and we have to use a bank card everywhere so we can
be nicely tracked not only by TfL but by the banks too?

Old August 10th 20, 09:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash. I asked one of the staff
about this apparently "temporary" measure and he said he doubts the facility
will ever come back and I tend to believe him. So thats another avenue of
anonymity out the window. How long before Oyster cards themselves are
consigned to history and we have to use a bank card everywhere so we can
be nicely tracked not only by TfL but by the banks too?

I doubt TFL pass your journey details on to the banks, only the final
charge. So your bank will know you were on the TFL network, but not where.
But if you wanted to be anonymous you wouldn’t be using a bank card anyway,
as you will be more finely geolocated by any other use of your cards. And,
of course, you will have your mobile phone switched off, because that
continuously reveals your location.

Old August 10th 20, 09:56 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Tweed" wrote in message
[...]

ISTR on contactless the location of the initial charge appeared on my
statement.

You also need to wear a balaclava (I suppose a burqa would work as well) so
the face recognition cameras don't get you.

Good luck.

--
DAS

Old August 10th 20, 10:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:24:06 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed wrote:
wrote:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash. I asked one of the staff
about this apparently "temporary" measure and he said he doubts the facility
will ever come back and I tend to believe him. So thats another avenue of
anonymity out the window. How long before Oyster cards themselves are
consigned to history and we have to use a bank card everywhere so we can
be nicely tracked not only by TfL but by the banks too?

I doubt TFL pass your journey details on to the banks, only the final
charge. So your bank will know you were on the TFL network, but not where.

The banks have enough info about me already, they don't need any more.

But if you wanted to be anonymous you wouldn’t be using a bank card anyway,

Hence the point about cash payment.

as you will be more finely geolocated by any other use of your cards. And,
of course, you will have your mobile phone switched off, because that
continuously reveals your location.

I do generally, but mainly to save the battery.

Old August 10th 20, 06:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10/08/2020 10:22, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:02:08 +0100
MikeS wrote:
On 10/08/2020 08:40,
wrote:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash. I asked one of the staff
about this apparently "temporary" measure and he said he doubts the facility
will ever come back and I tend to believe him. So thats another avenue of
anonymity out the window. How long before Oyster cards themselves are
consigned to history and we have to use a bank card everywhere so we can
be nicely tracked not only by TfL but by the banks too?

TfL's website lists 69 tube stations which it says still accept cash,
plus DLR and Overground.

Oyster cards can be bought and topped up at newsagents and other shops
all over the TfL area. I doubt they all refuse cash either.

Common sense says that the OP cannot be correct because it would be
impossible for anyone without a bank account to use London's buses.

Plenty of shops and cafes are not accepting cash or making it very difficult
to pay with it by making self serve machines card only and having to queue for
the single assistant at the till, so what makes you think TfL give a damn?

Because TfL are required by the politicians to give a damn, and consider
the edge cases and goat herders.

Not like the places abroad where anyone who doesn't have a local bank
card might not be able to travel (unless a symapathetic guard lets them
on, and explains that the situation happens to visitors quite frequently).

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 11th 20, 08:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 18:39:31 +0100
Arthur Figgis wrote:
On 10/08/2020 10:22, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 10:02:08 +0100
MikeS wrote:
On 10/08/2020 08:40,
wrote:
[...]

It was politicians (I'm not sure whether it was Sadiq Squirt or Number 10)
that told them to stop accepting cash in imost of their stations in the first
place according to the member of staff I spoke to.