Old December 16th 20, 06:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Have the 483s had their final run?

wrote:
On 15 Dec 2020 18:59:36 GMT
Jeremy Double wrote:
Of course, the UK never had any influence in the EU...

Irrelevant. Brexit was about immigration pure and simple. If that clown Blair
hadn't opened the flood gates to all the Igors and Olgas the minute the
grasping east european countries joined and immediately held out their palms
for silver I doubt Brexit would have happened.

It is amusing however how all the Remoaners were claiming the sky would fall
the minute they all started to leave yet now if you go into a Costa most of
the staff are the British kids who were never given a chance before. Also
all the east european security staff in my local supermarket have cleared off
and been replaced by Brits. Brexit - so far - is working.

Brexit hasn’t started yet. Wait until the new year...

--
Jeremy Double

Old December 17th 20, 07:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 18:06:07 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 16/12/2020 11:24, wrote:
Quite possibly, but I've heard numerous anecdotal reports on the radio and
elsewhere of British kids in the past who applied to these sorts of jobs
and were turned down in preference of EU workers.

Cite?

How am I supposed to cite stories from guests and callers on radio shows
and opinion pieces I read ages ago? Thats why I said "anecdotal".

Old December 17th 20, 10:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15 Dec 2020 at 18:59:36 GMT, "Jeremy Double"

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 16:06:54 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:
On 14/12/2020 08:56, wrote:
On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 21:50:13 +0000
" wrote:
On 12/12/2020 14:05, Graeme Wall wrote:
Shouldn't they have done that before ordering the new trains?

When the New York City Subway started commissioning and testing what was
then the brand new R-38 in the 60s, they realised that there was loading
no gauge on some of the tighter curves, particularly on the Fulton
Street Line.

This prompted the works to allow gauge clearance as well as removing
some of the walkways around towers (signal boxes).

IIRC something similar happened when the 73 stock arrived on the Piccadilly
line. The new cars were longer and so the throw was greater and the tunnels
linings around south ken had to be "shaved".

The 2014 French example is the biggest I'm aware of.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27497727

Oops. Also it seems I'm rather out of date on French railways. When did SNCF
become a train operator only?

The EU mandated separation of infrastructure from train operation,
following the pattern established in the UK by privatisation.

This has been said time and time again but rarely seems to register. Firstly
the EU Directive pre-dates the UK's 1993 Railways Act and secondly you will
find that the EU only mandated separate /accounting/ for infrastructure and
operations.

It did not mandate separate /ownership/ although this is what the UK
subsequently did. The idea was to allow independent freight and passenger
operators access to the infrastructure under the same financial conditions as
the incumbent and to maintain fair competition by making previously hidden
subsidies transparent.

Of course, the UK never had any influence in the EU...

--
Robert

Old December 17th 20, 07:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 17/12/2020 08:43, wrote:

How am I supposed to cite stories from guests and callers on radio shows
and opinion pieces I read ages ago? Thats why I said "anecdotal".

So you have no evidence that any of this actually happened. There's
anecdotal reports that a flying saucer landed in Rendlesham Forest.
That's just as likely.

Anyone get its Number ?

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/200...flying-saucer/

GH

Old December 18th 20, 03:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:30:20 on Fri, 18 Dec
2020, Basil Jet remarked:

If I say “Adolf Hitler” will that bring this converstation to an end?

You need to ask Mike Godwin.

What does he know about Namibian politics?

Dunno. It's almost 20yrs since I last met him.