Old October 1st 06, 06:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Default Have you noticed any reduction in School Run Congestion?

Intended as a move to reduce congestion caused by the school run - free
travel for young people was introduced. It has had unintended
consequences, see below, but has it had the intended one?

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...users_away.php

Free-travel youths are scaring bus users away
By Sarah Bell
Free bus passes for youngsters are causing soaring crime on buses by
creating "mobile youth clubs" it is claimed this week following a
report by the body which scrutinises the capital's policing.

Crime on the buses between the hours of 8am to 9am and 3pm to 5pm is
rising according to a report by the Metropolitan Police Authority.

It says there is a correlation between the number of victims and
offenders under 16 and the increase in antisocial behaviour, which
police attribute the rise to the issuing of free bus passes to
under-16s.

Tony Arbour AM, London Assembly Conservative member who represents
Richmond on the MPA, said: "These passes have caused resentment among
passengers, who have, on numerous occasions, told me they feel
intimidated by gangs of young people who see the bus as a mobile youth
club.

"They are taking up all the seats, and often behaving in an anti-social
manner. Parents have also voiced concern because their children are now
free to roam further from home."

He said that despite the increase in offences committed, the Mayor of
London recently admitted just two of the free bus passes had been
withdrawn from young troublemakers.

Mr Arbour added: "I have asked the MPA to confiscate more of these
passes, as to date, on the Mayors admission, only two have been
withdrawn. I have always been opposed to this flawed scheme as it
increases the cost of public transport and fails to improve the
service. Pupils, who in the past might have walked or cycled to school,
are now using the bus, and this is defeating the drive to instill
healthier lifestyles in our children."

A Transport for London (TfL) spokesman said: "Free travel for under 16s
on buses and trams is encouraging young people to opt for public
transport, reducing the traffic congestion associated with the daily
school run.

"This policy helps families with children and provides a great
opportunity for young people to take advantage of the many things
London has to offer.

"TfL continues to monitor levels of crime and disorder on the bus
network, and works closely with the Metropolitan Police Service to
ensure that the deployment of police officers is made in the most
effective and efficient way. As with any major policy initiative on the
network, TfL is working closely with the MPS on a detailed analysis on
the effects of recent changes to free travel arrangements.

"This analysis is well under way and joint findings will be agreed in
the near future.

"Once this work is completed, TfL and the MPS will work together to
ensure the deployment of officers continues to be appropriate to the
needs of the network."

6:16am Saturday 30th September 2006

Old October 1st 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Bob
writes
Intended as a move to reduce congestion caused by the school run - free
travel for young people was introduced. It has had unintended
consequences, see below, but has it had the intended one?

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...lay.var.946022.
0.freetravel_youths_are_scaring_bus_users_away.ph p

I notice the singular lack of statistics in the article.

There may well be a correlation between more youths using buses and
crime going up, but is it a weak or a strong correlation? e.g. for
every extra 1,000 trips is it 1 crime, or 0.005 crimes? And are these
outweighed by the likely long-term benefits, e.g. teaching kids to use
public transport rather than becoming permanent car drivers in later
life?

It seemed more like a whine by Grumpy of Richmond than a useful
informative news article.
Old October 1st 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 14:35:49 +0100, Paul G wrote:

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...users_away.php

I notice the singular lack of statistics in the article.

There may well be a correlation between more youths using buses and
crime going up,

The article doesn't even say there is, although it tries to decieve
you into thinking so. Other than a vague statement that overall crime
on buses is going up, it contains no actual evidence at all - just
statements of the obvious interwoven with speculation. All it actually
says is that there's a correlation between crime and anti-social
behaviour - you don't say?

I also note they don't name the actual report they're referring to,
making it harder to determine whether they're using weasel words and
cherry-picking information out-of-context or whether the report really
does say what they make out it says. I can't find anything relevant on
the MPA website.

And are these
outweighed by the likely long-term benefits, e.g. teaching kids to use
public transport rather than becoming permanent car drivers in later
life?

Somehow, I don't think that's something the author cares to consider.

It seemed more like a whine by Grumpy of Richmond than a useful
informative news article.

That, and polemic from someone who is opposed to free travel in
principle and will say anything that supports its withdrawl even if
slightly ridiculous (kids are better off cycling in London than using
buses?).
Old October 1st 06, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul G) wrote:

In message .com,
Bob writes

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...y.var.946022.0
..freetravel_youths_are_scaring_bus_users_away.php

I notice the singular lack of statistics in the article.

There may well be a correlation between more youths using buses and
crime going up, but is it a weak or a strong correlation? e.g. for
every extra 1,000 trips is it 1 crime, or 0.005 crimes? And are
these outweighed by the likely long-term benefits, e.g. teaching
kids to use public transport rather than becoming permanent car
drivers in later life?

It seemed more like a whine by Grumpy of Richmond than a useful
informative news article.

If the public acclamation for how well he ran Richmond Council before
May is anything to go by, you're absolutely right.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old October 2nd 06, 05:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Bob wrote:
Intended as a move to reduce congestion caused by the school run - free
travel for young people was introduced. It has had unintended
consequences, see below, but has it had the intended one?

Could I repeat and rephrase my original question - has free travel for
young people had any impact on congestion caused by the school run?

Old October 2nd 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Bob
writes
Free-travel youths are scaring bus users away
By Sarah Bell

Please tell me, why put up the link, then cut & paste the who article
anyway?
--
Clive.
Old October 2nd 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Bob wrote:
Intended as a move to reduce congestion caused by the school run - free
travel for young people was introduced. It has had unintended
consequences, see below, but has it had the intended one?

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...users_away.php

Why should Under 16s lose their free concession due to a minority who
are spoiling it for the rest? I think it's unreasonable that Under 16s
have to pay elsewhere when Over 60s go for free, despite the fact I'd
say the majority of Under 16s are on a hell of a lot less income after
the essentials compared to Over 60s.
--
The presence of this signature shows that this message has been scanned
for misplaced apostrophes by the common sense scanner. However, some
Old October 2nd 06, 07:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Bob is offline

Clive Coleman. wrote:

Please tell me, why put up the link, then cut & paste the who article
anyway?
--

As part of our business we run a media database.Many journals archive
material to a premium area or delete links after the current couple of