London Transport (uk.transport.london) Discussion of all forms of transport in London.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 24th 21, 08:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,357
Default Model Railway Club logo


The Model Railway Club, based close to Kings Cross Station, has a great
logo. I'm wondering if it is an original creation or if it references
some older railway logo of which I'm unaware.

https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/...2/img/logo.svg

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
1980 - Hard Objects - Art Objects

  #2   Report Post  
Old January 25th 21, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 90
Default Model Railway Club logo

On 24/01/2021 20:44, Basil Jet wrote:

The Model Railway Club, based close to Kings Cross Station, has a great
logo. I'm wondering if it is an original creation or if it references
some older railway logo of which I'm unaware.

https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/...2/img/logo.svg


It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.

As for a direct railway example,

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forum...ic=35081&st=45

PA
  #3   Report Post  
Old January 26th 21, 03:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,392
Default Model Railway Club logo

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:37:24PM +0000, Peter Able wrote:
On 24/01/2021 20:44, Basil Jet wrote:
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/...2/img/logo.svg

It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.

As for a direct railway example,

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forum...ic=35081&st=45


That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!

Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.

--
David Cantrell | Bourgeois reactionary pig

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups
  #4   Report Post  
Old January 26th 21, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 90
Default Model Railway Club logo

On 26/01/2021 15:24, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:37:24PM +0000, Peter Able wrote:
On 24/01/2021 20:44, Basil Jet wrote:
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/...2/img/logo.svg

It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.

As for a direct railway example,

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forum...ic=35081&st=45


That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!

Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.


Indeed - but I couldn't find anything nearer to do with railways.

Yet, I'm sure that that deco style railway club loco was used in the 30s
- maybe. National Benzole?

PA

--

  #5   Report Post  
Old January 26th 21, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,665
Default Model Railway Club logo

On 26/01/2021 17:05, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/01/2021 15:24, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:37:24PM +0000, Peter Able wrote:
On 24/01/2021 20:44, Basil Jet wrote:
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/...2/img/logo.svg

It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.

As for a direct railway example,

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forum...ic=35081&st=45


That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!

Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.


Indeed - but I couldn't find anything nearer to do with railways.

Yet, I'm sure that that deco style railway club loco was used in the 30s
- maybe.* National Benzole?


Well spotted, the head anyway.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142403-national-benzole-14t-tank-wagons-all-wrong/


--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.



  #6   Report Post  
Old January 26th 21, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jun 2016
Posts: 90
Default Model Railway Club logo

On 26/01/2021 17:15, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 26/01/2021 17:05, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/01/2021 15:24, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:37:24PM +0000, Peter Able wrote:
On 24/01/2021 20:44, Basil Jet wrote:
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/...2/img/logo.svg

It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes / Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.

As for a direct railway example,

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forum...ic=35081&st=45

That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!

Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.


Indeed - but I couldn't find anything nearer to do with railways.

Yet, I'm sure that that deco style railway club loco was used in the
30s - maybe.* National Benzole?


Well spotted, the head anyway.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142403-national-benzole-14t-tank-wagons-all-wrong/



Oh, more than the head. See:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/National_Benzole_Co

But I'm sure that I've seen a blend of the art deco-ised winged helmet
and the rest as a waiter image for a swanky 30s restaurant. Serving an
impossibly long-legged blonde.

Serving up a steam locomotive is original, though !

PA

  #7   Report Post  
Old January 26th 21, 07:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity at LondonBanter: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,665
Default Model Railway Club logo

On 26/01/2021 18:00, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/01/2021 17:15, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 26/01/2021 17:05, Peter Able wrote:
On 26/01/2021 15:24, David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 12:37:24PM +0000, Peter Able wrote:
On 24/01/2021 20:44, Basil Jet wrote:
https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/...2/img/logo.svg

It is a striking rendering of the "Winged Messenger" (Hermes /
Mercury)
- suggesting speedy delivery. Used by transport and transport fuel
businesses.

As for a direct railway example,

https://www.modelrailforum.com/forum...ic=35081&st=45

That one makes me immediately think of Icarus, which is most certainly
*not* what the LMS had in mind!

Hermes is usually shown with winged sandals or hat.


Indeed - but I couldn't find anything nearer to do with railways.

Yet, I'm sure that that deco style railway club loco was used in the
30s - maybe.* National Benzole?


Well spotted, the head anyway.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142403-national-benzole-14t-tank-wagons-all-wrong/



Oh, more than the head. See:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/National_Benzole_Co

But I'm sure that I've seen a blend of the art deco-ised winged helmet
and the rest as a waiter image for a swanky 30s restaurant.* Serving an
impossibly long-legged blonde.


That rings a bell!


Serving up a steam locomotive is original, though !

PA



--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old BR logo on London Underground Neill London Transport 43 January 2nd 08 07:31 PM
First Buses Old Logo's News_Demon London Transport 1 June 3rd 07 11:09 AM
Southern Logo Mojo London Transport 0 May 3rd 07 11:19 AM
Want a serious muslim match?Join our club and start searching now!!! [email protected] London Transport 0 April 14th 06 09:01 AM
Marylebone Railway Club Matthew P Jones London Transport 1 February 5th 06 05:46 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 London Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about London Transport"

 

Copyright © 2017