London Banter

-   -   LO lines to be named (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17850-lo-lines-named.html)

MrSpook_fVvwkr@s_yxm.biz April 9th 21 08:33 AM

LO lines to be named

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 18:07:28 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 13:56:46 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a

lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well

as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

Quite a lot do it though.

Yes, I find it a bit odd tbh as it must limit vehicle flexibility
considerably.

Sam Wilson[_2_] April 9th 21 08:50 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 18:07, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Here's a Brighton one...

And some Edinburgh ones:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lothian_Buses_bus_720_Volvo_B7TL_Wrightbus_Ec lipse_Gemini_SN55_BLV_Madder_and_White_livery_Rout e_3_Connect_branding.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lothian_Buses_bus_715_Volvo_B7TL_Wrightbus_Ec lipse_Gemini_SN55_BKY_Harlequin_livery_Route_3_Clu b_Class_branding.jpg
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_buses_2005_bus_670_003100_10 00.htm
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-a-number-26-lothian-bus-on-princes-street-with-a-frog-advertising-104234367.html
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lothian_Buses_bus_745_Volvo_B7TL_Wrightbus_Ec lipse_Gemini_SN55_BOU_Harlequin_livery_Route_44_Se rvice_with_a_Sparkle_route_branding.jpg

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as

Spit the dummy to reply

MB April 9th 21 09:00 AM

LO lines to be named

On 07/04/2021 23:15, Graham Harrison wrote:
When I was tested for colour blindness there was some interesting
literature I was provided with which suggested that the spectacles
that get prescribed for colour blindness have been shown to help some
dyslexics. I don't know, just reporting what was claimed. But one
thing a dyslexic child was claimed to have said stuck with me "the
letters in the words dance across the page". It made me realise
there's an awful lot we don't know about ourselves.

A friend of mine had a couple of children who had reading difficulties.
She had them tested for Meares-Irlen syndrome and their reading improved
with coloured / tinted glasses.

Certes April 9th 21 09:41 AM

LO lines to be named

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

A different colour outline too, so those in the know could spot their
orange 29 coming amongst a herd of pink 22s. I expect the reduction in
flexibility made it inefficient, so they were all repainted in maroon.

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 9th 21 11:37 AM

LO lines to be named

wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 18:07:28 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

It needs a handful of extra unbranded spare vehicles across a fleet, which
was obviously considered and costed when the first few companies began to
introduce it. It's obviously seen as a worthwhile expenditure for the
increased visual recognition of the buses and routes, not just among
passengers but among potential passengers, including those who don't
realise they're potential passengers yet.

In any case, it's not uncommon for different routes to have different
fleets in any case, even if they're not branded differently - eg in my area
the 'prime' pair of routes (direct to the city centre) have always had
newer vehicles than the routes which meander through less salubrious parts
of town on their way to the centre.

Not to mention different vehicle sizes - in the '90s Crosville Wales around
where I lived, had some routes operated by the small minibuses, some by
bigger minibuses, some by small full-size buses, some by bigger full-size
buses and finally the double decker routes.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Marland April 9th 21 12:21 PM

LO lines to be named

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 18:07:28 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

As more operators purchase battery electric buses they seem to be
allocating them to specific routes which makes sense, it is the 21st
century version of what took place when buses replaced Trams or in some
cases Trolleybuses and for the operators of the latter another change a
decade or two later.

GH

Christopher A. Lee[_2_] April 9th 21 01:01 PM

LO lines to be named

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 23:20:42 +0100, Roger Lynn
wrote:

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
I havent noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Stagecoach do that a lot (at least in some areas). At weekends it's common
to see buses on the wrong routes.

Back when it was still all London Transport, did red buses ever appear
on green (country) routes or vice versa, where the two systems
overlapped?

MrSpook_lk3_6r73qg@7q74_.info April 9th 21 01:37 PM

LO lines to be named

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 11:37:02 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
It needs a handful of extra unbranded spare vehicles across a fleet, which
was obviously considered and costed when the first few companies began to
introduce it. It's obviously seen as a worthwhile expenditure for the
increased visual recognition of the buses and routes, not just among
passengers but among potential passengers, including those who don't
realise they're potential passengers yet.

I can't imagine too many people see a bus and think "Ooh, nice branding, I
must travel on it sometime!". Though I will grant you if its one of the ones
that has the route map down the side there may be some people who didn't
realise where it went and may use it in future.

[email protected] April 9th 21 01:41 PM

LO lines to be named

On 9 Apr 2021 12:21:24 GMT
Marland wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
In any case, it's not uncommon for different routes to have different
fleets in any case, even if they're not branded differently - eg in my area
the 'prime' pair of routes (direct to the city centre) have always had
newer vehicles than the routes which meander through less salubrious parts
of town on their way to the centre.

As more operators purchase battery electric buses they seem to be
allocating them to specific routes which makes sense, it is the 21st

The flat routes presumably. I can't imagine many electric buses would last
long - in the sense of running time - in dales or hills even with regen
braking.

century version of what took place when buses replaced Trams or in some
cases Trolleybuses and for the operators of the latter another change a
decade or two later.

I wouldn't be surprised if induction charging points end up being spread
around the countryside and perhaps some cities for electric buses in the
future, because with the best will in the world, battery tech for large
vehicles isn't up to the job yet on the longer distance routes. And I can't
imagine National Express have done much flicking through electric bus
brochures yet.

Recliner[_4_] April 9th 21 02:40 PM

LO lines to be named

wrote:
On 9 Apr 2021 12:21:24 GMT
Marland wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
[...]

It's claimed to have a 300km range, more than enough to run all day on
urban routes. It gets a four hour overnight charge in Willesden bus garage.

BYD designed and developed the 10.2m long vehicles to TfL specifications
which feature air conditioning, seats for 54 passengers and space for 27
standing passengers.

https://www.metroline.co.uk/blog/progress/world’s-first-zero-emission-electric-double-decker

And I can't
imagine National Express have done much flicking through electric bus
brochures yet.

No, not yet. They may have hydrogen-powered buses before battery electric
ones.

Graeme Wall April 9th 21 02:51 PM

LO lines to be named

On 09/04/2021 14:41, wrote:
On 9 Apr 2021 12:21:24 GMT
Marland wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
In any case, it's not uncommon for different routes to have different
fleets in any case, even if they're not branded differently - eg in my area
the 'prime' pair of routes (direct to the city centre) have always had
newer vehicles than the routes which meander through less salubrious parts
of town on their way to the centre.

As more operators purchase battery electric buses they seem to be
allocating them to specific routes which makes sense, it is the 21st

The flat routes presumably. I can't imagine many electric buses would last
long - in the sense of running time - in dales or hills even with regen
braking.

Work fine in Guildford.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

[email protected] April 9th 21 03:10 PM

LO lines to be named

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 15:51:06 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/04/2021 14:41, wrote:
On 9 Apr 2021 12:21:24 GMT
Marland wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
In any case, it's not uncommon for different routes to have different
fleets in any case, even if they're not branded differently - eg in my area

the 'prime' pair of routes (direct to the city centre) have always had
newer vehicles than the routes which meander through less salubrious parts
of town on their way to the centre.

As more operators purchase battery electric buses they seem to be
allocating them to specific routes which makes sense, it is the 21st

The flat routes presumably. I can't imagine many electric buses would last
long - in the sense of running time - in dales or hills even with regen
braking.

Work fine in Guildford.

Guildford isn't exactly big.

MrSpook_6sf@cemgv9p2_ph8.ac.uk April 9th 21 03:16 PM

LO lines to be named

On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 14:40:42 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if induction charging points end up being spread
around the countryside and perhaps some cities for electric buses in the
future, because with the best will in the world, battery tech for large
vehicles isn't up to the job yet on the longer distance routes.

It's claimed to have a 300km range, more than enough to run all day on
urban routes. It gets a four hour overnight charge in Willesden bus garage.

BYD designed and developed the 10.2m long vehicles to TfL specifications
which feature air conditioning, seats for 54 passengers and space for 27
standing passengers.

https://www.metroline.co.uk/blog/pro...mission-electr
ic-double-decker

I suspect those ranges are just as optimistic as electric car ones. You can
probably halve it in slow traffic in winter when regen braking is ineffective
and the heating is on full blast.

Regardless, its pathetic the way the Chinese have just leapfrogged all the
european bus manufacturers who appear to have been caught with their pants
down.

And I can't
imagine National Express have done much flicking through electric bus
brochures yet.

No, not yet. They may have hydrogen-powered buses before battery electric
ones.

Hydrogen power is an enviromental dead end. I wish politicians would realise.

Graeme Wall April 9th 21 06:14 PM

LO lines to be named

On 09/04/2021 16:10, wrote:
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 15:51:06 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/04/2021 14:41,
wrote:
On 9 Apr 2021 12:21:24 GMT
Marland wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
In any case, it's not uncommon for different routes to have different
fleets in any case, even if they're not branded differently - eg in my area

the 'prime' pair of routes (direct to the city centre) have always had
newer vehicles than the routes which meander through less salubrious parts
of town on their way to the centre.

As more operators purchase battery electric buses they seem to be
allocating them to specific routes which makes sense, it is the 21st

The flat routes presumably. I can't imagine many electric buses would last
long - in the sense of running time - in dales or hills even with regen
braking.

Work fine in Guildford.

Guildford isn't exactly big.

But it is hilly.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Basil Jet[_4_] April 9th 21 08:08 PM

LO lines to be named

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
It needs a handful of extra unbranded spare vehicles across a fleet, which
was obviously considered and costed when the first few companies began to
introduce it. It's obviously seen as a worthwhile expenditure for the
increased visual recognition of the buses and routes, not just among
passengers but among potential passengers, including those who don't
realise they're potential passengers yet.

I can't imagine too many people see a bus and think "Ooh, nice branding, I
must travel on it sometime!". Though I will grant you if its one of the ones
that has the route map down the side there may be some people who didn't
realise where it went and may use it in future.

Coming back on topic, that's why I want every bridge on the NLL to have
one livery, every bridge on the Goblin to have a different one etc, so
that people who drive every day from Leytonstone to Crouch End would
realise that there is one train all the way.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
1978 - Another Music In A Different Kitchen - Buzzcocks

Marland April 9th 21 08:16 PM

LO lines to be named

wrote:
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 15:51:06 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/04/2021 14:41, wrote:
On 9 Apr 2021 12:21:24 GMT
Marland wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
In any case, it's not uncommon for different routes to have different
fleets in any case, even if they're not branded differently - eg in my area

the 'prime' pair of routes (direct to the city centre) have always had
newer vehicles than the routes which meander through less salubrious parts
of town on their way to the centre.

As more operators purchase battery electric buses they seem to be
allocating them to specific routes which makes sense, it is the 21st

The flat routes presumably. I can't imagine many electric buses would last
long - in the sense of running time - in dales or hills even with regen
braking.

Work fine in Guildford.

Guildford isn't exactly big.

For places like Guildford ,and there are many such provincial towns and
cities of similar size the
battery electric powered buses now being introduced are probably the first
time they have had the opportunity to have emission free at the point of
use public transport.
They were and are highly likely to remain too small to build tram ,light
rail and trolleybus systems.
A handful like Taunton had for a short time Edwardian era trams often on
a single route only a couple of miles long, they tended to be early
casualties and again using Taunton as an example its short line closed
after only 16 years of operation in 1921 when unable to agree on a price
for electricity with the corporation power supply found its cars stranded
when the supply was turned off, horses towed them back to the depot.
Many places like Exeter only ran one generation of tram closing in the
1930’s replacing with the now
reasonably developed motor bus. It was only the big places like London
,Leeds, Sheffield ,Glasgow
that could afford to stay with electric power and replace the first
generation of vehicles .
The Guildfords, Salisburys and Chichesters have been using noisy polluting
vehicles for a 100 years now, its time they got some clean ones. The effect
in such places of battery buses may be more marked than in bigger
conurbations.

GH

Graeme Wall April 9th 21 09:13 PM

LO lines to be named

On 09/04/2021 21:16, Marland wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 15:51:06 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 09/04/2021 14:41, wrote:
On 9 Apr 2021 12:21:24 GMT
Marland wrote:
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately it's only a fleet of 9 buses in Guildford at the moment,
theoretically dedicated to serving the 4 park and rides. However one of
the car parks has been doing duty as a drive in Covid testing station
for the last year so the electric buses are making guest appearances on
the university services. Good for me as they pass the end of my road on
their way into town.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Charles Ellson[_3_] April 9th 21 10:46 PM

LO lines to be named

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 18:56:33 -0500, Christopher A. Lee
wrote:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 21:35:31 +0100, "NY" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

Some said that at one time the York Park&Ride buses used have different
liveries for the different routes, depending on which P&R car-park they went
to/from. But by the time I used them, they were a standard livery - the same
as the non-P&R buses (*) - and distinguished only by the LED display with
the number and the route name (I think it alternated between the colour-name
of the route and the name of the car-park).

What is always amusing is if a bus company has temporarily borrowed a few
buses from another company: there's something a bit weird getting on a bus
in York which has bus-company or place-of-interest adverts for Sheffield or
Leeds. I think the furthest afield was one that was from the Exeter area.
That's a hell of a long way to transport a bus that you've borrowed ;-)

When I lived im Manchester, we had Pacers which were withrawn from
Cornwall because the curves were too tigh. These still had Cornish ads
and wers till painted chocolate and cream )their only redeeming
feature).

We also had ex- Glasgoe Class 303 units, still painted in Strathclyde
livery, with Glasgow adverts and maps.

The company down the road from me which used to supply school-sports
ground transport to Harrow never bothered to remove any of the adverts
from its buses resulting in several of them bimbling around
advertising various things in Crosville-land.

Charles Ellson[_3_] April 9th 21 10:50 PM

LO lines to be named

wrote:

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
I havent noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Stagecoach do that a lot (at least in some areas). At weekends it's common
to see buses on the wrong routes.

Back when it was still all London Transport, did red buses ever appear
on green (country) routes or vice versa, where the two systems
overlapped?

They used to turn up if there wasn't one of the right colour available
due to accidents, overhauls etc. although RLH low height buses seemed
to never get a repaint from green when permanently transferred to the
230 route around Harrow.

Christopher A. Lee[_2_] April 10th 21 01:08 AM

LO lines to be named

wrote:

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
I havent noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Stagecoach do that a lot (at least in some areas). At weekends it's common
to see buses on the wrong routes.

Back when it was still all London Transport, did red buses ever appear
on green (country) routes or vice versa, where the two systems
overlapped?

They used to turn up if there wasn't one of the right colour available
due to accidents, overhauls etc. although RLH low height buses seemed
to never get a repaint from green when permanently transferred to the
230 route around Harrow.

The RLH buses I remember on the 230 were all red. I grew up in Harrow
and don't remember seeing any in green.

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 10th 21 08:53 AM

LO lines to be named

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
It needs a handful of extra unbranded spare vehicles across a fleet, which
was obviously considered and costed when the first few companies began to
introduce it. It's obviously seen as a worthwhile expenditure for the
increased visual recognition of the buses and routes, not just among
passengers but among potential passengers, including those who don't
realise they're potential passengers yet.

I can't imagine too many people see a bus and think "Ooh, nice branding, I
must travel on it sometime!". Though I will grant you if its one of the ones
that has the route map down the side there may be some people who didn't
realise where it went and may use it in future.

I'm thinking of people who regularly drive a route and see lots of buses,
but without paying enough attention to the route/destination displayed on
them to realise that they're the same route; who may see the consistency of
route branding and suddenly realise that their journey is possible by bus
having never considered it before.

As a real-world example; despite having a higher than average interest in
buses, I didn't realise there was a bus 2 or 3 times an hour between
Bristol and Wells, until I started using a garage part way along the route;
the "Mendip Explorer" buses are very smart
https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/mendip-bus-route-named-one-1624469
and I can imagine someone who drives that route regularly in a car, seeing
the consistently branded buses and making a connection; then on a day when
their car is unavailable (in for service, or perhaps their partner is using
it) and they still want to make the journey, suddenly the bus is in their
mind as an option, where without the branding it may not have been.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Roland Perry April 10th 21 09:52 AM

LO lines to be named

In message , at 08:53:03 on Sat, 10 Apr
2021, Anna Noyd-Dryver remarked:

[...]

Yesterday, many of the Stagecoach Cambridge-Ely buses were a vivid shade
of turquoise that I don't remember seeing before, and completely without
branding.

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 10th 21 11:04 AM

LO lines to be named

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if induction charging points end up being spread
around the countryside and perhaps some cities for electric buses in the
future, because with the best will in the world, battery tech for large
vehicles isn't up to the job yet on the longer distance routes.

It's claimed to have a 300km range, more than enough to run all day on
urban routes. It gets a four hour overnight charge in Willesden bus garage.

BYD designed and developed the 10.2m long vehicles to TfL specifications
which feature air conditioning, seats for 54 passengers and space for 27
standing passengers.

https://www.metroline.co.uk/blog/pro...mission-electr
ic-double-decker

I suspect those ranges are just as optimistic as electric car ones.

Unfortunately that's the fault of the officially mandated tests, not the
manufacturers. The American official range figures tend to be much more
accurate.

You can
probably halve it in slow traffic

Actually IMX that's when EVs are at their most efficient.

in winter when regen braking is ineffective
and the heating is on full blast.

I will admit that during the recent spell of temperatures around 2°C to
-2°C, the range of my car was around half the predicted range, but another
factor played into that too - my daily commute ~halved to four miles,
meaning that the heating was on for the whole journey. On the days I
remembered to pre-heat the car, the energy consumption was much better (and
of course the windscreen was ready-defrosted!). Previously in such low
temperatures I've been driving further, and the impact of the low outside
temperature is much less noticeable.

Regardless, its pathetic the way the Chinese have just leapfrogged all the
european bus manufacturers who appear to have been caught with their pants
down.

And I can't
imagine National Express have done much flicking through electric bus
brochures yet.

No, not yet. They may have hydrogen-powered buses before battery electric
ones.

Hydrogen power is an enviromental dead end. I wish politicians would realise.

Surely that depends how the hydrogen is generated?

Anna Noyd-Dryver

[email protected] April 10th 21 02:34 PM

LO lines to be named

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:04:28 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
You can
probably halve it in slow traffic

Actually IMX that's when EVs are at their most efficient.

Most efficient *compared to combustion engines*. But if you drove an EV
down a road at a constant 30mph then drove it down the same road stopping
and starting every 100 metres or less the latter would waste far more power.

Hydrogen power is an enviromental dead end. I wish politicians would realise.

Surely that depends how the hydrogen is generated?

Well blue hydrogen is a non starter, but even green hydrogen is far less
efficient in wind turbine to wheel energy terms taking in every stage + the
vehicle itself than simply charging up a battery. Something like 50% for a
battery EV vs 30% for green H2 I remember reading. The only single advantage
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

Sam Wilson[_2_] April 10th 21 03:16 PM

LO lines to be named

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
You can
probably halve it in slow traffic

Actually IMX that's when EVs are at their most efficient.

Most efficient *compared to combustion engines*. But if you drove an EV
down a road at a constant 30mph then drove it down the same road stopping
and starting every 100 metres or less the latter would waste far more power.

Hydrogen power is an enviromental dead end. I wish politicians would realise.

Surely that depends how the hydrogen is generated?

Well blue hydrogen is a non starter, but even green hydrogen is far less
efficient in wind turbine to wheel energy terms taking in every stage + the
vehicle itself than simply charging up a battery. Something like 50% for a
battery EV vs 30% for green H2 I remember reading. The only single advantage
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

That’s a not inconsiderable advantage!

Sam

Recliner[_4_] April 10th 21 03:31 PM

LO lines to be named

Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
You can
probably halve it in slow traffic

Actually IMX that's when EVs are at their most efficient.

Most efficient *compared to combustion engines*. But if you drove an EV
down a road at a constant 30mph then drove it down the same road stopping
and starting every 100 metres or less the latter would waste far more power.

Hydrogen power is an enviromental dead end. I wish politicians would realise.

Surely that depends how the hydrogen is generated?

Well blue hydrogen is a non starter, but even green hydrogen is far less
efficient in wind turbine to wheel energy terms taking in every stage + the
vehicle itself than simply charging up a battery. Something like 50% for a
battery EV vs 30% for green H2 I remember reading. The only single advantage
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

Recharge time and capacity. It has a much higher energy density than
current and projected future batteries, unless there's a big step change
(possible at some stage, but not imminent). .

[email protected] April 10th 21 03:32 PM

LO lines to be named

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 15:16:50 -0000 (UTC)
Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

That’s a not inconsiderable advantage!

It is, but otoh once - one hopes - street recharging via some sort of
infrastructure built into street lights or similar for those who don't have
driveways becomes the norm in a decade or 2, that advantage will become
redundant except for the very few people who need to do ultra long journeys
without much in the way of stopping.

The main issue with EVs isn't the battery vs H2 argument , its where the power
is going to come from to power them all in the first place because right now
the generating capacity simply isn't there and short termist politicians
don't seem to be interested in providing it, merely exchanging like for like
with coal and gas gen replaced by wind farms so they can polish their green
halos.

[email protected] April 10th 21 03:36 PM

LO lines to be named

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 15:31:50 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:04:28 -0000 (UTC)
Well blue hydrogen is a non starter, but even green hydrogen is far less
efficient in wind turbine to wheel energy terms taking in every stage + the
vehicle itself than simply charging up a battery. Something like 50% for a
battery EV vs 30% for green H2 I remember reading. The only single advantage
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

Recharge time and capacity. It has a much higher energy density than
current and projected future batteries, unless there's a big step change
(possible at some stage, but not imminent). .

That matters for long distance lorries and buses for whom suitable batteries
would be a ridiculous size, but for cars its not even an issue right now,
never mind as technology advances. Yes, they're maybe half a ton heavier
than an equivalent ICE car at most, but the vehicle size is the same, if
not a bit smaller.

Roland Perry April 10th 21 03:37 PM

LO lines to be named

In message , at 15:32:14 on Sat, 10 Apr
2021, remarked:
Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

That’s a not inconsiderable advantage!

It is, but otoh once - one hopes - street recharging via some sort of
infrastructure built into street lights or similar for those who don't have
driveways becomes the norm in a decade or 2, that advantage will become
redundant except for the very few people who need to do ultra long journeys
without much in the way of stopping.

The main issue with EVs isn't the battery vs H2 argument , its where the power
is going to come from to power them all in the first place because right now
the generating capacity simply isn't there

And nor of course is there much more than 13A ring main linking up the
streetlights in any one street.

Recliner[_4_] April 10th 21 03:37 PM

LO lines to be named

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:44:51 on Thu, 8 Apr 2021,
Basil Jet remarked:

Anglia have liveried trains for the Bittern line, East Suffolk line
etc, but I've only ever seen them on the wrong lines!

Odd you should mention that... this morning one of the Fen Line GN
trains was liveried "Gatwick Express". Which more different to the plain
livery than the straying GA Stansted Express ones (which are at least
the correct side of the river).

Apparently six GatEx 387s have been loaned to GN as temporary 365
replacements. In the medium term, the GA 379s or the cw2c 387s are the more
likely replacements.

Recliner[_4_] April 10th 21 03:41 PM

LO lines to be named

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Which is why H2 is mainly being considered for larger, heavier vehicles:
trains, trucks, long distance buses, large SUVs, perhaps even short range
airliners. It's not needed nor viable for ordinary cars.

Sam Wilson[_2_] April 10th 21 03:42 PM

LO lines to be named

Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

That’s a not inconsiderable advantage!

It is, but otoh once - one hopes - street recharging via some sort of
infrastructure built into street lights or similar for those who don't have
driveways becomes the norm in a decade or 2, that advantage will become
redundant except for the very few people who need to do ultra long journeys
without much in the way of stopping.

The main issue with EVs isn't the battery vs H2 argument , its where the power
is going to come from to power them all in the first place because right now
the generating capacity simply isn't there and short termist politicians
don't seem to be interested in providing it, merely exchanging like for like
with coal and gas gen replaced by wind farms so they can polish their green
halos.

That’s true. Maybe they’re thinking ahead to a time when we might have to
accept a change in lifestyle rather than trying to find “sustainable” ways
to maintain our current ones.

Sam

Graeme Wall April 10th 21 03:57 PM

LO lines to be named

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56678669

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Tweed[_2_] April 10th 21 05:02 PM

LO lines to be named

Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

And even if the street lamp supply is upgraded it doesn’t address the issue
of the local thieves/yobbos cutting and nicking the charge cables or
sticking chewing gum up the works etc. We’ve enough trouble with catalytic
converters going awol as it is. Then you’ll have an entire claims industry
supporting folk who have “tripped” over a cable.

Certes April 10th 21 05:16 PM

LO lines to be named

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

[Re yellow lorry image, top] Is the trailer for the batteries?

Graeme Wall April 10th 21 05:28 PM

LO lines to be named

Recliner wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That was my thought!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Charles Ellson[_3_] April 10th 21 05:57 PM

LO lines to be named

wrote:

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
I havent noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Stagecoach do that a lot (at least in some areas). At weekends it's common
to see buses on the wrong routes.

Back when it was still all London Transport, did red buses ever appear
on green (country) routes or vice versa, where the two systems
overlapped?

They used to turn up if there wasn't one of the right colour available
due to accidents, overhauls etc. although RLH low height buses seemed
to never get a repaint from green when permanently transferred to the
230 route around Harrow.

The RLH buses I remember on the 230 were all red. I grew up in Harrow
and don't remember seeing any in green.

Not often and mainly in the last few years before it mutated into the
H1. There wasn't usually more than one at a time.
There are some photographs of RLH27, e.g.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/megaanorak/8590545356
but the trouble with that bus IIRC is that by the time the 230 ceased
it had already gone into private ownership and some photographs of it
on the 230 are actually of it driving around the route on the first
day of the new route taking over.

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 10th 21 07:36 PM

LO lines to be named

Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

That’s a not inconsiderable advantage!

It is, but otoh once - one hopes - street recharging via some sort of
infrastructure built into street lights or similar for those who don't have
driveways becomes the norm in a decade or 2, that advantage will become
redundant except for the very few people who need to do ultra long journeys
without much in the way of stopping.

I thought we were talking about buses, particularly long-distance coaches
eg National Express. The battery will have to be enough to last a whole day
(plus reserve). H2 would definitely have an advantage there.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 10th 21 07:36 PM

LO lines to be named

Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

That’s a not inconsiderable advantage!

It is, but otoh once - one hopes - street recharging via some sort of
infrastructure built into street lights or similar for those who don't have
driveways becomes the norm in a decade or 2, that advantage will become
redundant except for the very few people who need to do ultra long journeys
without much in the way of stopping.

The main issue with EVs isn't the battery vs H2 argument , its where the power
is going to come from to power them all in the first place because right now
the generating capacity simply isn't there

And nor of course is there much more than 13A ring main linking up the
streetlights in any one street.

Streets and pavements are dug up often enough for other reasons, that doing
it again to upgrade the wiring/install a parallel circuit, isn't the end of
the world.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Graeme Wall April 10th 21 08:41 PM

LO lines to be named

Sam Wilson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Even assuming you can distribute enough power to make them function,
there aren't enough lamposts available for all the people who are likely
to want to use them.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.