London Banter

-   -   LO lines to be named (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/17850-lo-lines-named.html)

Recliner[_4_] April 6th 21 04:06 PM

LO lines to be named

From
https://www.cityam.com/mayor-of-london-election-sadiq-khan-pledges-to-name-london-overground-lines/

Sadiq Khan has pledged to give individual names to London Overground train
lines if re-elected as mayor of London next month.

Khan’s manifesto, released today, said the “London Overground network has
grown considerably over recent years” and that “to reflect this I’ll launch
a programme to name individual routes, giving each its own identity”.

The London Overground now has 112 stations over six different lines,
however none of the lines are named like on the London Underground.

The policy announcement will see a programme launched by Khan to choose
names for the six lines, if he wins re-election on 6 May, however no
details were given on what the criteria will be.

Roland Perry April 6th 21 04:41 PM

LO lines to be named

In message , at 16:06:00 on Tue, 6 Apr 2021,
Recliner remarked:
From
https://www.cityam.com/mayor-of-lond...n-pledges-to-n
ame-london-overground-lines/

Sadiq Khan has pledged to give individual names to London Overground train
lines if re-elected as mayor of London next month.

Khan’s manifesto, released today, said the “London Overground network has
grown considerably over recent years” and that “to reflect this
I’ll launch
a programme to name individual routes, giving each its own identity”.

The London Overground now has 112 stations over six different lines,
however none of the lines are named like on the London Underground.

The policy announcement will see a programme launched by Khan to choose
names for the six lines, if he wins re-election on 6 May, however no
details were given on what the criteria will be.

If one isn't the "Wombling Line", then there's no justice in this world.

Recliner[_4_] April 6th 21 07:10 PM

LO lines to be named

Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, LO doesn't go anywhere near Wimbledon.

Marland April 6th 21 09:30 PM

LO lines to be named

Recliner wrote:
From
https://www.cityam.com/mayor-of-london-election-sadiq-khan-pledges-to-name-london-overground-lines/

Sadiq Khan has pledged to give individual names to London Overground train
lines if re-elected as mayor of London next month.

Khan’s manifesto, released today, said the “London Overground network has
grown considerably over recent years” and that “to reflect this I’ll launch
a programme to name individual routes, giving each its own identity”.

The London Overground now has 112 stations over six different lines,
however none of the lines are named like on the London Underground.

The policy announcement will see a programme launched by Khan to choose
names for the six lines, if he wins re-election on 6 May, however no
details were given on what the criteria will be.

Does the East London line even though services now go further still retain
that name or has it been dropped, if it has been renewing it would seem
logical. The Met only had exclusive use of it from the mid 1960’s till the
Overground took over ,a comparatively short period in its long history
when services like now went further.

GH

Recliner[_4_] April 6th 21 10:39 PM

LO lines to be named

Marland wrote:
Recliner wrote:
[...]

None of the LO services currently have official names, though of course
locals might continue to use the historical names (DC Line, etc). The
problem with some of the old geographic names is that multiple modern
routes share some lines.

For example, the physical East London line is used by routes to New Cross,
West Croydon and Clapham Junction. Should these three routes warrent their
own, different names? Or should they simply be regarded as three branches
of the East London Line, just as the District Line has four western
branches? But shouldn't the Clapham Junction route be called the South
London Line? So you might have an East London Line with branches to New
Cross and West Croydon, and the South London Line which shares part of the
route, but then heads west to Clapham Junction.

The old names also have oddities: the North London Line goes further west
than the West London Line, and further east than the East London Line,
while the East London Line to West Croydon goes further south than the
South London Line.

Net result:
- the northern-most most LO branch isn't the North London Line
- the eastern and western-most LO branches are on the North London Line
- the southern-most branch is the East London line.

A further complication is the possible confusion between the Northern LU
line (which is the southern-most LU line) and the entirely separate North
London LO line. Despite crossing each other, the Northern LU line has no
single station interchanges with any LO line.

Or you could invent Bakerloo-style composite names, but would the two
entirely separate routes from H&I to Clapham Junction cause confusion?

Other countries would just use route numbers, but that seems not to be our
style.

Basil Jet[_4_] April 7th 21 12:03 AM

LO lines to be named

On 06/04/2021 23:39, Recliner wrote:

None of the LO services currently have official names, though of course
locals might continue to use the historical names (DC Line, etc). The
problem with some of the old geographic names is that multiple modern
routes share some lines.

I hope the Chingford Line and the Enfield Town/Cheshunt line get
different names and colours on the map, because the latter calls at
London Fields and Cambridge Heath and the former doesn't.

I like Ermine Line for the Cheshunt line, because Liverpool Street,
Stoke Newington, Bruce Grove, Edmonton Green and Theobalds Grove are all
on the Roman road Ermine Street. But they'll probably go for George
Floyd line instead.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2002 - The Big Come Up - The Black Keys

Recliner[_4_] April 7th 21 12:10 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:
On 06/04/2021 23:39, Recliner wrote:

None of the LO services currently have official names, though of course
locals might continue to use the historical names (DC Line, etc). The
problem with some of the old geographic names is that multiple modern
routes share some lines.

I hope the Chingford Line and the Enfield Town/Cheshunt line get
different names and colours on the map, because the latter calls at
London Fields and Cambridge Heath and the former doesn't.

I like Ermine Line for the Cheshunt line, because Liverpool Street,
Stoke Newington, Bruce Grove, Edmonton Green and Theobalds Grove are all
on the Roman road Ermine Street. But they'll probably go for George
Floyd line instead.

Whatever the names, I don't think they can get new colours. There just
aren't enough distinct shades available. I wonder if they could use
differently shaped dashed orange lines?

Basil Jet[_4_] April 7th 21 12:24 AM

LO lines to be named

On 07/04/2021 01:10, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

They could use hollow lines, as currently used for the LO and DLR. The
three DLR lines shown on https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2001 - Crow Sit On Blood Tree - Graham Coxon

Recliner[_4_] April 7th 21 08:44 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Yes, that could work.

The
three DLR lines shown on https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

Are there only three DLR lines?

Meanwhile, someone has suggested new names for the existing lines:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EyWytx_XAAIGWnB?format=jpg&name=large

[email protected] April 7th 21 10:59 AM

LO lines to be named

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 08:44:48 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
The
three DLR lines shown on https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

Are there only three DLR lines?

They're not really even lines, just routes with plenty of shared running.

Basil Jet[_4_] April 7th 21 12:39 PM

LO lines to be named

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
The
three DLR lines shown on
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

Are there only three DLR lines?

They're not really even lines, just routes with plenty of shared running.

That could be applied just as well, or badly, to the subsurface lines.
If you're on foot halfway between Bank and Tower Gateway and you need to
get to Beckton or City Airport, it would be nice if the standard Tube
map told you which terminus has direct trains and which doesn't.

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2003 - The Lemon Of Pink - The Books

MrSpook_xpv9uk@i87pb7ivqta4ptylf_f.ac.uk April 7th 21 02:03 PM

LO lines to be named

Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
The
three DLR lines shown on
https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

Are there only three DLR lines?

They're not really even lines, just routes with plenty of shared running.

That could be applied just as well, or badly, to the subsurface lines.
If you're on foot halfway between Bank and Tower Gateway and you need to
get to Beckton or City Airport, it would be nice if the standard Tube
map told you which terminus has direct trains and which doesn't.

When I last commuted on the DLR in 2015 trains from Bank went to IIRC 3
destinations so the map would probably look rather complex.

Basil Jet[_4_] April 7th 21 05:32 PM

LO lines to be named

On 07/04/2021 09:44, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

The
three DLR lines shown on https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/dlr should have
names and colours on the main Tube map as well.

Are there only three DLR lines?

Grouping of services into lines is fairly arbitrary. The Central Line
has multiple services branded as a single line, which keeps the map
simple and has no obvious drawbacks.

IMO the Northern services through Charing Cross and the Northern
services through Bank should be named and coloured separately, even if
the timetable remains the same as now, to stop tourists thinking you can
get the Northern Line from Leicester Square to Kings Cross.

As for the DLR, the Tower-Beckton has to have a different colour from
the Bank - Woolwich, and the two lines at Stratford need different
colours and names from each other. I think the three groupings used on
the map I linked to are the minimal solution that meets those
requirements, although the colours need to be more different - they are
using slight variations on the DLR colour, when LU isn't stupid enough
to use different shades of red and blue for all of their lines.

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). An unrecognised asset pretty much unique to LO is loads
of bridges in prominent locations like Camden and Shoreditch, and these
could also be liveried like the trains. The livery would also appear in
simplified form on the tube map line. So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

This would actually turn the LO into a tourist attraction, with people
heading out to Romford just to see the Ladybird train.

See
https://mk0brilliantmaptxoqs.kinstac...15-cropped.png
for a reminder of the old black and white tube map, for an indication of
how patterned versions of coloured lines could represent the LO and the DLR.

[email protected] April 7th 21 07:18 PM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

There are too many colours on the map already, enough to make it
impossible to distinguish between them for some of us.

Sam Wilson[_2_] April 7th 21 09:13 PM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). ... So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2017/10/edinburgh-goes-wild-for-new-zoo-design-buses/

I know children who say things like “look, it’s the lemur bus!”

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply

Graham Harrison[_4_] April 7th 21 10:15 PM

LO lines to be named

snip
There are too many colours on the map already, enough to make it
impossible to distinguish between them for some of us.

Too many designers fail to appreciate the issues of colour blindness.
It's not just the London Underground Diagram, web pages, print
advertising; almost anything that uses colour. I sometimes think
patterns might be better but I find myself wondering if they might
cause other problems (epilepsy?).

When I was tested for colour blindness there was some interesting
literature I was provided with which suggested that the spectacles
that get prescribed for colour blindness have been shown to help some
dyslexics. I don't know, just reporting what was claimed. But one
thing a dyslexic child was claimed to have said stuck with me "the
letters in the words dance across the page". It made me realise
there's an awful lot we don't know about ourselves.

Charles Ellson[_3_] April 7th 21 10:54 PM

LO lines to be named

On Wed, 07 Apr 2021 23:15:00 +0100, Graham Harrison
wrote:

snip
There are too many colours on the map already, enough to make it
impossible to distinguish between them for some of us.

Too many designers fail to appreciate the issues of colour blindness.
It's not just the London Underground Diagram, web pages, print
advertising; almost anything that uses colour. I sometimes think
patterns might be better but I find myself wondering if they might
cause other problems (epilepsy?).

When I was tested for colour blindness there was some interesting
literature I was provided with which suggested that the spectacles
that get prescribed for colour blindness have been shown to help some
dyslexics. I don't know, just reporting what was claimed. But one
thing a dyslexic child was claimed to have said stuck with me "the
letters in the words dance across the page". It made me realise
there's an awful lot we don't know about ourselves.

That dyslexic child is not alone. That effect is one of the reasons
you see some people reading while moving a rule under each line or
moving their finger along the text (other than when that is done to
keep your place while reading out to and intermittently looking toward
an audience).

Basil Jet[_4_] April 8th 21 12:36 AM

LO lines to be named

snip

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/bw-large-print-map.pdf

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2004 - 18 Monkeys On A Dead Man's Chest - David Thomas & Two Pale Boys

Basil Jet[_4_] April 8th 21 12:38 AM

LO lines to be named

On 07/04/2021 22:13, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). ... So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2017/10/edinburgh-goes-wild-for-new-zoo-design-buses/

I know children who say things like “look, it’s the lemur bus!”

Sam

I wasn't suggesting the trains have pictures of animal faces or body
shapes, but that the entire train be covered in zebra stripes etc.

Recliner[_4_] April 8th 21 05:24 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). ... So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2017/10/edinburgh-goes-wild-for-new-zoo-design-buses/

I know children who say things like “look, it’s the lemur bus!”

Sam

I wasn't suggesting the trains have pictures of animal faces or body
shapes, but that the entire train be covered in zebra stripes etc.

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Marland April 8th 21 08:24 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats,

Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

This would actually turn the LO into a tourist attraction, with people
heading out to Romford just to see the Ladybird train.

The I.O.W got there first. Such things date very quickly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britis...0s/30918342656

GH

Basil Jet[_4_] April 8th 21 10:44 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

Anglia have liveried trains for the Bittern line, East Suffolk line etc,
but I've only ever seen them on the wrong lines!

Basil Jet[_4_] April 8th 21 10:47 AM

LO lines to be named

On 08/04/2021 09:24, Marland wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats,

Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

This would actually turn the LO into a tourist attraction, with people
heading out to Romford just to see the Ladybird train.

The I.O.W got there first. Such things date very quickly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britis...0s/30918342656

They were tacky and childish. I don't think an entire train in giraffe
patches would look bad.

Sam Wilson[_2_] April 8th 21 12:16 PM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Anglia have liveried trains for the Bittern line, East Suffolk line etc,
but I've only ever seen them on the wrong lines!

You could argue that the smaller open access operators do exactly that!

Sam

Basil Jet[_4_] April 8th 21 12:56 PM

LO lines to be named

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

But at the end of the day, it comes down to how the LO diagrams are
operated. Does each service have dedicated diagrams? Do Chingford and
Enfield services share diagrams, for instance?

Roland Perry April 8th 21 12:58 PM

LO lines to be named

In message , at 11:44:51 on Thu, 8 Apr 2021,
Basil Jet remarked:

Anglia have liveried trains for the Bittern line, East Suffolk line
etc, but I've only ever seen them on the wrong lines!

Odd you should mention that... this morning one of the Fen Line GN
trains was liveried "Gatwick Express". Which more different to the plain
livery than the straying GA Stansted Express ones (which are at least
the correct side of the river).

EMR appear to gave given up re-liverying the ex Stagecoach 158's on the
Liverpool-Norwich route - there's still only one that I see (and that
mainly at weekends).

Slightly OT: Stagecoach buses on the Cambridge-Ely routes (A10 direct,
and via Newmarket) have for last year been a mixture of regular ones,
and various separately-liveried Cambridge P&R.

MrSpook_6d3nmY@k8eqh_8z5is.tv April 8th 21 02:53 PM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

Graeme Wall April 8th 21 05:06 PM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Graeme Wall April 8th 21 05:07 PM

LO lines to be named

On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

Quite a lot do it though.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Basil Jet[_4_] April 8th 21 07:40 PM

LO lines to be named

On 08/04/2021 18:07, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Here's a Brighton one...

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2015 - Daylight Versions - The Leaf Library

NY[_2_] April 8th 21 08:35 PM

LO lines to be named

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

Some said that at one time the York Park&Ride buses used have different
liveries for the different routes, depending on which P&R car-park they went
to/from. But by the time I used them, they were a standard livery - the same
as the non-P&R buses (*) - and distinguished only by the LED display with
the number and the route name (I think it alternated between the colour-name
of the route and the name of the car-park).

What is always amusing is if a bus company has temporarily borrowed a few
buses from another company: there's something a bit weird getting on a bus
in York which has bus-company or place-of-interest adverts for Sheffield or
Leeds. I think the furthest afield was one that was from the Exeter area.
That's a hell of a long way to transport a bus that you've borrowed ;-)

(*) It's a shame there wasn't a different livery that was common for all P&R
buses (irrespective of route) so you could distinguish "your" bus from other
routes that happened to use the same bus-stop in town. It would everyone
standing up in anticipation, only to realise that it's the wrong bus as it
gets close enough to read the LED sign.

NY[_2_] April 8th 21 08:44 PM

LO lines to be named

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have
quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as
well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the
sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

Quite a lot do it though.

Here's a Brighton one...

That's fair enough. The buses that do long-distance routes (the
Leeds-York-Malton-Scarborough/Whitby "Coastliner" is the one near me) tend
to be higher spec and more powerful for going further and faster, and
getting up hills (Whitwell Hill is the killer for buses on the A64), so they
have a dedicated fleet with specific livery. But the livery doesn't go down
to the level of separate paint jobs depending on whether the bus goes to
Whitby or Scarborough after Malton :-)

The Number 36 Ripon-Harrogate-Leeds buses are a specific livery with those
destinations painted on the side - but that's a fast and frequent service
with little extras like USB charging points and wifi (introduced long before
it became common even on local buses). (By rights, that bus should be the
reinstated Ripon railway service, but the 36 bus is so good that trains
could probably not compete on price, and *maybe* not on journey time, so the
line will probably never be re-opened now.)

Marland April 8th 21 09:45 PM

LO lines to be named

Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

That was used by some Edwardian Tram operators as in the 1900’s people were
less literate than they are now, Glasgow was one of the larger operators to
use the method and augmented the livery
by having an appropriates coloured lamp shining forward which you
probably could not do on a bus
due to C+U regulations ruling out Red shining forward. The system ceased
to be used from 1938.
On such a large Network there had to be duplication.
Someone has patiently created a LU style map of the routes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kaputniq/46734214652/

The use of the number within the livery seems quite widespread where an
operator runs a route it wishes to set apart from the tour around the
suburbs operations such as the various X for express services around the
country, sometimes with a line map of the stops served.
Occasionally they have a really dedicated colour livery as well
,Stagecoach favour Gold for many such services.

First operate some routes with a dedicated route livery such as between
Poole and Exeter with scenic X53 Jurassic Coast service., this year they
are delivering new vehicles to the service in a dedicated livery so they
must still see some merit in such branding.

https://twitter.com/firstdorset/stat...63208940793856

First pulled out of much of Devon a few years ago now leaving StageCoach to
resurrect some routes.

This meant that fast bus service between Exeter and Bude which was
deliberately branded as the Atlantic Coast Express in homage to the train
of that name parts of which ran that way lost the name.

https://www.focustransport.org/2012/...rth-devon.html

Are there any other bus services that use or used a former train service
name.

GH

Roger Lynn[_2_] April 8th 21 10:20 PM

LO lines to be named

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Stagecoach do that a lot (at least in some areas). At weekends it's common
to see buses on the wrong routes.

Christopher A. Lee[_2_] April 8th 21 11:56 PM

LO lines to be named

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 21:35:31 +0100, "NY" wrote:

[...]

When I lived im Manchester, we had Pacers which were withrawn from
Cornwall because the curves were too tigh. These still had Cornish ads
and wers till painted chocolate and cream )their only redeeming
feature).

We also had ex- Glasgoe Class 303 units, still painted in Strathclyde
livery, with Glasgow adverts and maps.

Marland April 9th 21 12:36 AM

LO lines to be named

NY wrote:
[...]

Quite a long time ago now after the break up and privatisation of the
National Bus Company one
of the smaller operations created was the North Devon operation branded as
Red Bus, an unusual
colour for the area which had long been a bastion of Southern and Western
National green.
Till they were repainted the buses as well as having the name Red Bus
applied on a white patch carried labels stating “This is now a Red Bus”
which at least gave the new operation a little publicity in the area,
however sometime later I saw one of the vehicles still in green either
transferred or loaned
to Hampshire bus on an Andover to Basingstoke service still carrying
adverts for Devon businesses
and also the “This is now a Red Bus” stickers. Gawd knows many
stereotype opinions of people in the Southwest being country bumpkins were
reinforced in observers.

Going further back than I can remember during WW2 Bournemouth Corporation
Trolleybuses
were loaned to London Transport and their Primrose Yellow livery must have
made quite a contrast to the usual in Ilford where they were based as with
less seats than London Trolleys that area was quieter.
They returned home when a batch of trolleys destined for South Africa were
allocated to London , this required a change in UK construction and rules
as they were 6 inches wider than and heavier than what was allowed on UK
buses at the time they also went to Ilford as it was felt the streets were
generally wider than those of central London , The change was permanent and
post war buses were wider than their older brethren so drivers soon had to
cope everywhere.

The South Africans got a new batch postwar and London held onto the
originals,they were regarded as quite luxurious as they retained tinted and
opening windows for a climate they never saw though once it was obvious
they were never going the front entrance doors temporarily covered were
removed fully.

The South African design influenced the Londons last batch of Trolleys post
war the Q1 model which apart from minor details was also used by Glasgow
and Newcastle.

GH

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 9th 21 05:15 AM

LO lines to be named

wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

And yet it's not uncommon.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 9th 21 05:15 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

As do First in Bristol, though some are shared between routes which have
significant sections in common (eg 1/2 and 3/4). More recently they've
changed some route liveries to be more generic 'north/south of city
routes'.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Graeme Wall April 9th 21 06:40 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

The classic use of different colours for different routes is in Buenos
Aires where each of over 100 different routes has its own colour scheme.
Originally the buses were all operated by owner-drivers and each driver
belonged to a cooperative that had the licence to operate one route.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Anna Noyd-Dryver April 9th 21 06:47 AM

LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). An unrecognised asset pretty much unique to LO is loads
of bridges in prominent locations like Camden and Shoreditch, and these
could also be liveried like the trains. The livery would also appear in
simplified form on the tube map line. So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

This would actually turn the LO into a tourist attraction, with people
heading out to Romford just to see the Ladybird train.

That's the kind of thing a Japanese private or third sector branch line
might do!

Anna Noyd-Dryver