Old April 8th 21, 08:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default LO lines to be named

Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats,

Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

This would actually turn the LO into a tourist attraction, with people
heading out to Romford just to see the Ladybird train.

The I.O.W got there first. Such things date very quickly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britis...0s/30918342656

GH

Old April 8th 21, 10:44 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 07/04/2021 22:13, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats, and for nearly all of the LU stock to be
liveried like the animals (apart from a few line-hopping spares in the
current livery). ... So, the East London Line becomes
"The Tiger" (no "line"), and the trains, bridges and map line have tiger
appearance - the Chingford line becomes "The Giraffe", the
Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/news/2017/10/edinburgh-goes-wild-for-new-zoo-design-buses/

I know children who say things like “look, it’s the lemur bus!”

Sam

I wasn't suggesting the trains have pictures of animal faces or body
shapes, but that the entire train be covered in zebra stripes etc.

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

Anglia have liveried trains for the Bittern line, East Suffolk line etc,
but I've only ever seen them on the wrong lines!

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2004 - 18 Monkeys On A Dead Man's Chest - David Thomas & Two Pale Boys
Old April 8th 21, 10:47 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/04/2021 09:24, Marland wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:

My fantasy for a long time is for the Overground lines to be named after
animals with distinctive coats,

Romford-Upminster becomes "The Ladybird" etc.

This would actually turn the LO into a tourist attraction, with people
heading out to Romford just to see the Ladybird train.

The I.O.W got there first. Such things date very quickly.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/britis...0s/30918342656

They were tacky and childish. I don't think an entire train in giraffe
patches would look bad.

Old April 8th 21, 12:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

Anglia have liveried trains for the Bittern line, East Suffolk line etc,
but I've only ever seen them on the wrong lines!

You could argue that the smaller open access operators do exactly that!

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply
Old April 8th 21, 12:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

But at the end of the day, it comes down to how the LO diagrams are
operated. Does each service have dedicated diagrams? Do Chingford and
Enfield services share diagrams, for instance?

Old April 8th 21, 12:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:44:51 on Thu, 8 Apr 2021,
Basil Jet remarked:

Anglia have liveried trains for the Bittern line, East Suffolk line
etc, but I've only ever seen them on the wrong lines!

Odd you should mention that... this morning one of the Fen Line GN
trains was liveried "Gatwick Express". Which more different to the plain
livery than the straying GA Stansted Express ones (which are at least
the correct side of the river).

EMR appear to gave given up re-liverying the ex Stagecoach 158's on the
Liverpool-Norwich route - there's still only one that I see (and that
mainly at weekends).

Slightly OT: Stagecoach buses on the Cambridge-Ely routes (A10 direct,
and via Newmarket) have for last year been a mixture of regular ones,
and various separately-liveried Cambridge P&R.
Old April 8th 21, 02:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

Old April 8th 21, 05:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

[...]

Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old April 8th 21, 05:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a
lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well
as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

Quite a lot do it though.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Old April 8th 21, 07:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 08/04/2021 18:07, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
[...]

Here's a Brighton one...

--
Basil Jet recently enjoyed listening to
2015 - Daylight Versions - The Leaf Library