London Banter

-   -   Strike Action (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1802-strike-action.html)

captain radio May 27th 04 11:08 PM

Strike Action

As you are all probably aware a ballot for strike action on london
underground is currently under way and the rankin file opinion is a
landslide in favour of industrial action.
The first strike date will be june 10th unless 'sir Ken' pulls his finger
out.
The management are proposing cuts of 960 plus jobs to fund any sort of pay
increase and to give us our 35 hour week,these are front line jobs in the
ticket office ,station staff and supervisors,not the over staffed 55
broadway and other top management jobs.
Our claim is simply £22.000 starting salary for C.S.A,32 hour 4 day week to
be implimented over a number of years ,35 hour parity with train ops now.
Equalisation of pension rights,return of priv rate travel as per pre
national rail privatisation.
Roll on June 10th

Nimbo May 27th 04 11:18 PM

Strike Action

"captain radio" wrote in message
As you are all probably aware a ballot for strike action on london
underground is currently under way and the rankin file opinion is a
landslide in favour of industrial action.
The first strike date will be june 10th unless 'sir Ken' pulls his finger
out.
The management are proposing cuts of 960 plus jobs to fund any sort of

pay
increase and to give us our 35 hour week,these are front line jobs in the
ticket office ,station staff and supervisors,not the over staffed 55
broadway and other top management jobs.
Our claim is simply £22.000 starting salary for C.S.A,32 hour 4 day week

be implimented over a number of years ,35 hour parity with train ops now.
Equalisation of pension rights,return of priv rate travel as per pre
national rail privatisation.
Roll on June 10th

I fully agree. Kick out the managers who are wasting resources.

coopsweb May 27th 04 11:19 PM

Strike Action

£22,000 starting salary? 4 day week? 32 Hours? Surely you RMT lads are
having a laugh aren't you?

What makes you think you deserve that? (No doubt you'll quote something
along the lines of 'Well-everyone USED to get that').

gs May 28th 04 02:11 AM

Strike Action

On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:08:21 +0100, captain radio
wrote:
Roll on June 10th

Didnt manage to time this years action with the Euro 2000 championships??

Historically greedy underground staff disrupt services to coincide with
major sporting events

4 day week?
32 hours?

suppose you want a squash court next so when you takin the **** being off
work
for 18 months with a poorly ankle you can play squash with your mates from
work

some people eh?

No sympathy from me

Steve May 28th 04 05:26 AM

Strike Action

wrote:
Roll on June 10th

Didnt manage to time this years action with the Euro 2000 championships??

Historically greedy underground staff disrupt services to coincide with
major sporting events

There is another 'big event' on June 10th though...

Steve.

Andrew P Smith May 28th 04 06:48 AM

Strike Action

In article , captain radio
writes
As you are all probably aware a ballot for strike action on london
underground is currently under way and the rankin file opinion is a
landslide in favour of industrial action.
The first strike date will be june 10th unless 'sir Ken' pulls his finger
out.
The management are proposing cuts of 960 plus jobs to fund any sort of pay
increase and to give us our 35 hour week,these are front line jobs in the
ticket office ,station staff and supervisors,not the over staffed 55
broadway and other top management jobs.
Our claim is simply £22.000 starting salary for C.S.A,32 hour 4 day week to
be implimented over a number of years ,35 hour parity with train ops now.
Equalisation of pension rights,return of priv rate travel as per pre
national rail privatisation.
Roll on June 10th

I believe that drivers work a 36 hour week, but are only paid for 35.

As LUL are currently recruiting SA's it seems funny that they are trying
to cut jobs in this area.

32 hour, 4 day week?

I do 32 hours in 3 days!!!!!
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

John Rowland May 28th 04 07:23 AM

Strike Action

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message

32 hour, 4 day week?

I do 32 hours in 3 days!!!!!

But sitting in a kiosk reading The Sun is a tiring job.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Kat May 28th 04 09:55 AM

Strike Action

In message , captain radio
writes
As you are all probably aware a ballot for strike action on london
underground is currently under way and the rankin file opinion is a
landslide in favour of industrial action.
The first strike date will be june 10th unless 'sir Ken' pulls his finger
out.
The management are proposing cuts of 960 plus jobs to fund any sort of pay
increase and to give us our 35 hour week,these are front line jobs in the
ticket office ,station staff and supervisors,not the over staffed 55
broadway and other top management jobs.
Our claim is simply £22.000 starting salary for C.S.A,32 hour 4 day week to
be implimented over a number of years ,35 hour parity with train ops now.
Equalisation of pension rights,return of priv rate travel as per pre
national rail privatisation.
Roll on June 10th

My opinion, FWIW, is that all SAs should be MF trained to better use
staff resources. That way a good increase to the starting salary would
be reasonable.
Two smaller breaks should be included in the working day; eight hours
plus on your feet with only a half hour unpaid meal-break is medieval.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Kat May 28th 04 10:01 AM

Strike Action

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message

32 hour, 4 day week?

I do 32 hours in 3 days!!!!!

But sitting in a kiosk reading The Sun is a tiring job.

As someone pointed out, they're still recruiting SAs; instead of being
envious you could apply...
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

captain radio May 28th 04 11:30 AM

Strike Action

I would like to see any of my staff siting in 'kiosk' and reading the
sun.Why don't you try standing on your feet for 7+ hours a day and dealing
with customers from stupid to plain obnoxious.People who think a uniform is
soft target and they can vent all there anger and agression on.Working all
hours to take home a decent working wage, if it is such a cushy number why
are there not people desperate to join?

gs May 28th 04 03:20 PM

Strike Action

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:30:01 +0100, captain radio
wrote:

I would like to see any of my staff siting in 'kiosk' and reading the
sun.Why don't you try standing on your feet for 7+ hours a day and
dealing
with customers from stupid to plain obnoxious.People who think a uniform
is
soft target and they can vent all there anger and agression on.Working
all
hours to take home a decent working wage, if it is such a cushy number
why
are there not people desperate to join?

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message

32 hour, 4 day week?

I do 32 hours in 3 days!!!!!

But sitting in a kiosk reading The Sun is a tiring job.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Oh please
How many times have people been to a tube station and there is a queue
stretching out the door. 2 out of the three payment windows
are closed and the person serving has trouble performing
even the most basic task of processing an oyster card application
with any speed or haste plus all the automated machines are broken
or have no change. Whats worse there are other staff having a chat and a
coffee
and smirking at the length of the queues.

You moan on about the abuse you get, why do you think that is?

Its because you are the human face of the underground and when
things dont work as best as they could your attitude is poor. You should
visit the French
Underground or the one in Berlin. Now thats how it shoud be done.

No support from me

K May 28th 04 03:30 PM

Strike Action

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:55:52 +0100, Kat
wrote:

Two smaller breaks should be included in the working day; eight hours
plus on your feet with only a half hour unpaid meal-break is medieval.

I thought in most jobs meal breaks are unpaid? Certainly in all jobs
I've done.

Paul Corfield May 28th 04 04:31 PM

Strike Action

wrote:

As you are all probably aware a ballot for strike action on london
underground is currently under way and the rankin file opinion is a
landslide in favour of industrial action.

Oh jolly good - I'm sure you will enjoy inflicting misery on Londoners.

Oh and it's "rank and file" by the way.

The first strike date will be june 10th unless 'sir Ken' pulls his finger
out.

How to win friends and influence people (not).

The management are proposing cuts of 960 plus jobs to fund any sort of pay
increase and to give us our 35 hour week,these are front line jobs in the
ticket office ,station staff and supervisors,not the over staffed 55
broadway and other top management jobs.

Are we excluded from your sweeping statement if we don't work at 55
Broadway?

Our claim is simply £22.000 starting salary for C.S.A,32 hour 4 day week to
be implimented over a number of years ,35 hour parity with train ops now.
Equalisation of pension rights,return of priv rate travel as per pre
national rail privatisation.
Roll on June 10th

And you think you will get your deal if Steve Norris wins instead of
Ken? And if Ken wins you think you will? Dream on - you really have no
concept of what being part of TfL actually means, do you?
--
Paul C

Andrew P Smith May 28th 04 06:43 PM

Strike Action

In article , John Rowland
writes
"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message

32 hour, 4 day week?

I do 32 hours in 3 days!!!!!

But sitting in a kiosk reading The Sun is a tiring job.

LOL!!!!

Naughty John.

Andrew P Smith May 28th 04 06:45 PM

Strike Action

In article , gs writes

How many times have people been to a tube station and there is a queue
stretching out the door. 2 out of the three payment windows
are closed and the person serving has trouble performing
even the most basic task of processing an oyster card application
with any speed or haste plus all the automated machines are broken
or have no change. Whats worse there are other staff having a chat and
a coffee
and smirking at the length of the queues.

You moan on about the abuse you get, why do you think that is?

There are specific exams to be taken to work in the ticket office - if
you haven't passed it you can't handle the cash.

I agree that ticket machines failing is a real pain.

Robin Mayes May 28th 04 08:28 PM

Strike Action

"gs" wrote in message

Its because you are the human face of the underground and when
things dont work as best as they could your attitude is poor. You should
visit the French
Underground or the one in Berlin. Now thats how it shoud be done.

Yes, the Paris Metro was *so* wonderful during my visit last year I've
decided to ensure my stations have no down escalators, no staff, queues at
the ticket office out the door, stink and trains with squeaky wheels.

Seanie O'Kilfoyle May 28th 04 08:40 PM

Strike Action

"captain radio" wrote in message
As you are all probably aware a ballot for strike action on london
underground is currently under way and the rankin file opinion is a
landslide in favour of industrial action.
The first strike date will be june 10th unless 'sir Ken' pulls his finger
out.

Tell you what

Just vote thae Mad ******* out instead

Ordinary Londoners have already suffered enough under his regin, don't whip
the servants shoot the master(bater)

innit

gs May 30th 04 09:00 AM

Strike Action

On Fri, 28 May 2004 21:28:08 +0100, Robin Mayes
wrote:

Yes, the Paris Metro was *so* wonderful during my visit last year I've
decided to ensure my stations have no down escalators, no staff, queues
at the ticket office out the door, stink and trains with squeaky wheels.

Nothing new here then. At the end of the day the London underground is
crap. Good idea badly implimented by greedy management and staff who
dont give a monkeys.

Dirty trains - which wouldnt take much to make them clean
If I was in charge of carriage hygiene I would sack
every single cleaner and make them re apply for their jobs
back and only get re employed once they can prove they can
control a cleaning cloth well enough to reach the corners of the windows.
Also ban eating on the underground. Ok a bit harsh but
would eventually lead to a cleaner underground similar to
what banning smoking did.

Ticket Halls. During peak times ensure that all windows are open
probably have a dedicated oyster and credit card window or the
opposite have a fast track window for small single / return ticket
cash purchases only. make sure the vending machines are working
and full of change and possibly place a few at platform level
to spread out the queues of people waiting to purchase.

Trains - make it compulsory for drivers to announce why a train
has stopped and the approximate length the stoppage should be.
Also by default if a train is stopped in a tunnel the huge fans
that they have stuck to the ceiling should be switched on
not 45 minutes later like the train I was on when it was stuck in a tunnel
between Highbury Corner and Kings X.

Talking about kings cross circle and metropolitan branch why is the
stream of passengers set the wrong way round??

to board a train you have to walk what seems quarter of a mile
up through the ticket hall. why cant they reverse this so if you are
boarding
you go through the nearest set of gates and passengers exiting
use the exits further up?

David Splett May 30th 04 09:43 AM

Strike Action

"gs" wrote in message
Talking about kings cross circle and metropolitan branch why is the
stream of passengers set the wrong way round??
to board a train you have to walk what seems quarter of a mile
up through the ticket hall. why cant they reverse this so if you are
boarding
you go through the nearest set of gates and passengers exiting
use the exits further up?

It's not wrong. If the entrance was at the eastern end of the platforms,
there would be massive congestion as all the lemming passengers waited there
instead of using the full length of the platform. Also, the the loading of
trains in both directions on this section is such that the eastern end is
generally more crowded - with many of these passengers wishing to alight at
K+. The current arrangement (i) allows these passengers to leave the
platform quickly, and, (ii) prevents the crowded part of trains from
becoming even more crowded.

gazza May 31st 04 08:23 AM

Strike Action

wrote:

Two smaller breaks should be included in the working day; eight hours
plus on your feet with only a half hour unpaid meal-break is medieval.

I thought in most jobs meal breaks are unpaid? Certainly in all jobs
I've done.

Your right although the point being made is that outside of the
statutory break required by Law, they have no other breaks.

--
gazza

"Fight War not Wars"

Try S.T.A.R.S. for National & International Tours
bookmark www.stars-tours.org.uk

K June 1st 04 11:00 AM

Strike Action

On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:23:40 +0000 (UTC), gazza ]
wrote:

Two smaller breaks should be included in the working day; eight hours
plus on your feet with only a half hour unpaid meal-break is medieval.

I thought in most jobs meal breaks are unpaid? Certainly in all jobs
I've done.

Your right although the point being made is that outside of the
statutory break required by Law, they have no other breaks.

Again - same as every job I've done.

Steve Fitzgerald June 2nd 04 11:08 PM

Strike Action

In message , captain radio
writes

The management are proposing cuts of 960 plus jobs to fund any sort of pay
increase and to give us our 35 hour week,these are front line jobs in the
ticket office ,station staff and supervisors,not the over staffed 55
broadway and other top management jobs.

I see this number has gone from 700 to 800 to 960+ without any effort at
all.

And who is 'us' exactly?

Steve Fitzgerald June 2nd 04 11:10 PM

Strike Action

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes

The management are proposing cuts of 960 plus jobs to fund any sort of pay
increase and to give us our 35 hour week,these are front line jobs in the
ticket office ,station staff and supervisors,not the over staffed 55
broadway and other top management jobs.
Our claim is simply £22.000 starting salary for C.S.A,32 hour 4 day week to
be implimented over a number of years ,35 hour parity with train ops now.
Equalisation of pension rights,return of priv rate travel as per pre
national rail privatisation.
Roll on June 10th

I believe that drivers work a 36 hour week, but are only paid for 35.

Quite true, but this is compensated by the disgusting amount of holidays
that we apparently get!

[email protected] June 3rd 04 12:19 PM

Strike Action

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

In message , Andrew P Smith
writes

The management are proposing cuts of 960 plus jobs to fund any sort

of pay
increase and to give us our 35 hour week,these are front line jobs in

the
ticket office ,station staff and supervisors,not the over staffed 55
broadway and other top management jobs.
Our claim is simply £22.000 starting salary for C.S.A,32 hour 4 day

week to
be implimented over a number of years ,35 hour parity with train ops

now.
Equalisation of pension rights,return of priv rate travel as per pre
national rail privatisation.
Roll on June 10th

I believe that drivers work a 36 hour week, but are only paid for 35.

Quite true, but this is compensated by the disgusting amount of
holidays that we apparently get!

Hmm. I wonder if LU will print the correct figure this time if they take
out anti strike adverts. When they quoted the figures before, I phoned the
number that they gave and they said they knew nothing about it and gave me
the human resources no. I told HR that what they quoted was a load of
******** and explained how the "holiday" total was broken down. They
seemed most surprised!. Mind you, given that they decided to class leave
as unauthorised absence on the pay slips, perhaps that means we're not
getting any holidays at all :-)

Roger
(my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages
- if you think you should have had a reply/comment,
please e-mail me again. Ta!)

Boltar June 4th 04 08:50 AM

Strike Action

gs wrote in message ...
Also ban eating on the underground. Ok a bit harsh but
would eventually lead to a cleaner underground similar to
what banning smoking did.

I wouldn't ban eating on the tube since I think most people do it occasionally
if they're in a hurry , I know I have (and where do you draw the line , do
you kick someone off for eating a polo mint? What about a biscuit?) but I
do think its time that LU started reintroducing bins. Theres no reason not to
have then since as we've seen terrorist hardly need them to cause chaos these
days.

B2003

gs June 4th 04 12:49 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

On 4 Jun 2004 01:50:12 -0700, Boltar wrote:

gs wrote in message
Also ban eating on the underground. Ok a bit harsh but
would eventually lead to a cleaner underground similar to
what banning smoking did.

I wouldn't ban eating on the tube since I think most people do it
occasionally
if they're in a hurry , I know I have (and where do you draw the line ,
do
you kick someone off for eating a polo mint? What about a biscuit?) but I
do think its time that LU started reintroducing bins. Theres no reason
not to
have then since as we've seen terrorist hardly need them to cause chaos
these
days.

B2003

I see your point but I many times have boarded a train
where hot smelly food has been eaten recently and forget the pong,
the rubbish left behind is disgusting.

Also had the misfortune to watch a small child eating a burger
on the train. The mayonnaise was oozing out of the burger and the child
was wiping it on the seats next to him whilst his mother was smiling
adoringly. Great news if you happen to sit next to him not.

If they banned hot food would be a start. Hard to enforce as people could
sneak food
onto the train but in the same way passengers would intervene if someone
lit a cigarette, peole could mention and try to discourage it.

regards

JB June 4th 04 02:27 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

do
you kick someone off for eating a polo mint? What about a biscuit?) but

do think its time that LU started reintroducing bins. Theres no reason
not to
have then since as we've seen terrorist hardly need them to cause chaos
these
days.

B2003

Also had the misfortune to watch a small child eating a burger
on the train. The mayonnaise was oozing out of the burger and the child
was wiping it on the seats next to him whilst his mother was smiling
adoringly. Great news if you happen to sit next to him not.

Yeah but I've seen small children on the tube with snot oozing out all over
with him wiping it on the seat. Tell you what lets ban small children? (It
would also cut down on overcrowding!)

Can't bins be made bomb proof? I thought that Westminster went through all
this and in the end put them back. I certainly don't blame people for not
taking their rubbish home with them.

Cheeky June 4th 04 05:28 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:27:08 +0100, "JB"
wrote:

Can't bins be made bomb proof? I thought that Westminster went through all
this and in the end put them back. I certainly don't blame people for not
taking their rubbish home with them.

They have litter bins in Israel and (AFAIAA) they have developed a
relatively bomb-proof one.....
--

ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
Please reply to the group

Andrew P Smith June 4th 04 05:53 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

In article , JB
writes

Yeah but I've seen small children on the tube with snot oozing out all over
with him wiping it on the seat. Tell you what lets ban small children? (It
would also cut down on overcrowding!)

Excellent idea......

Can't bins be made bomb proof? I thought that Westminster went through all
this and in the end put them back. I certainly don't blame people for not
taking their rubbish home with them.

Blast resistant bins are available, but they will only resist a set
pressure level.

Neil Williams June 4th 04 06:14 PM

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:28:30 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

They have litter bins in Israel and (AFAIAA) they have developed a
relatively bomb-proof one.....

The big railway seems to have taken to using clear plastic bin bags
hanging from a loop, which may not exactly be bomb-proof but will
avoid any additional shrapnel, and hopefully any device would be
visible.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain

Helen Deborah Vecht June 4th 04 07:08 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

(Neil Williams)typed

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:28:30 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

They have litter bins in Israel and (AFAIAA) they have developed a
relatively bomb-proof one.....

The big railway seems to have taken to using clear plastic bin bags
hanging from a loop, which may not exactly be bomb-proof but will
avoid any additional shrapnel, and hopefully any device would be
visible.

They have these at 'overground' 'Tube' stations.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

JB June 4th 04 07:37 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

Can't bins be made bomb proof? I thought that Westminster went through

all
this and in the end put them back.

Obviously I meant Westminster Council. As I walk down the Strand there seem
to be bins about evey 10 yards (and very clean streets)

Cheeky June 4th 04 10:52 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:14:45 GMT, (Neil
Williams) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:28:30 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

They have litter bins in Israel and (AFAIAA) they have developed a
relatively bomb-proof one.....

The big railway seems to have taken to using clear plastic bin bags
hanging from a loop, which may not exactly be bomb-proof but will
avoid any additional shrapnel, and hopefully any device would be
visible.

Neil

These appeared for a while on the streets in Manchester as well -
unfortunately Network Rail/FNW have not cottoned on to this at the
stations :-(

Steve Dulieu June 5th 04 01:17 AM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message
In article , JB
writes

Yeah but I've seen small children on the tube with snot oozing out all

over
with him wiping it on the seat. Tell you what lets ban small children?

(It
would also cut down on overcrowding!)

Excellent idea......

Can't bins be made bomb proof? I thought that Westminster went through

all
this and in the end put them back. I certainly don't blame people for

not
taking their rubbish home with them.

Blast resistant bins are available, but they will only resist a set
pressure level.

Of course you could chain all those surplus to requirement small children to
the blast proof bins to absorb any overpressure...:-)
--
Cheers, Steve.

Robin Mayes June 5th 04 08:30 AM

Williams) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:28:30 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

They have litter bins in Israel and (AFAIAA) they have developed a
relatively bomb-proof one.....

The big railway seems to have taken to using clear plastic bin bags
hanging from a loop, which may not exactly be bomb-proof but will
avoid any additional shrapnel, and hopefully any device would be
visible.

Neil

These appeared for a while on the streets in Manchester as well -
unfortunately Network Rail/FNW have not cottoned on to this at the
stations :-(

Perhaps you should give the Transport Security Agency the benefit of your
wisdom, rather than blame the Train Operating Companies / Network Rail /
London Underground.

Robin May June 6th 04 12:06 AM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

"Steve Dulieu" wrote the following
in:

"Andrew P Smith" wrote in message

Blast resistant bins are available, but they will only resist a
set pressure level.

Of course you could chain all those surplus to requirement small
children to the blast proof bins to absorb any overpressure...:-)

Nah, that'd be far too messy.

--
message by Robin May. Inimitable, but would you want to anyway?
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

Kitten in Big Brother: rebel without a cause (or brain).
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.

Matt Ashby June 6th 04 10:51 AM

"Robin Mayes" wrote:
"Cheeky" wrote:
These appeared for a while on the streets in
Manchester as well - unfortunately Network
Rail/FNW have not cottoned on to this at the
stations :-(

Perhaps you should give the Transport Security
Agency the benefit of your wisdom, rather than
blame the Train Operating Companies / Network
Rail / London Underground.

Who are the Transport Security Agency? Do you
mean the US Transportation Security Administration
www.tsa.gov? If so, I think their interest in
litter bins (or indeed trash cans) on the
Underground would be limited.

Matt Ashby

JB June 6th 04 12:44 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
om...
"Robin Mayes" wrote:
"Cheeky" wrote:
These appeared for a while on the streets in
Manchester as well - unfortunately Network
Rail/FNW have not cottoned on to this at the
stations :-(

Perhaps you should give the Transport Security
Agency the benefit of your wisdom, rather than
blame the Train Operating Companies / Network
Rail / London Underground.

Who are the Transport Security Agency? Do you
mean the US Transportation Security Administration
www.tsa.gov? If so, I think their interest in
litter bins (or indeed trash cans) on the
Underground would be limited.

Matt Ashby

Funnily enough I reckon the US TSA needs as much help as possible with
security. When I was in New York every station had litter bins/black
rubbish sacks all of which seemed a natural target for bombers.

Worse still was Wall Street where the copious number of police officers were
using gas lighting to see the crowds with!

Cheeky June 6th 04 03:31 PM

Ban Hot food on the tube (was Strike Action)

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:30:55 +0100, "Robin Mayes"
wrote:

.. .
Williams) wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:28:30 +0100, Cheeky wrote:

They have litter bins in Israel and (AFAIAA) they have developed a
relatively bomb-proof one.....

The big railway seems to have taken to using clear plastic bin bags
hanging from a loop, which may not exactly be bomb-proof but will
avoid any additional shrapnel, and hopefully any device would be
visible.

Neil

These appeared for a while on the streets in Manchester as well -
unfortunately Network Rail/FNW have not cottoned on to this at the
stations :-(

Perhaps you should give the Transport Security Agency the benefit of your
wisdom, rather than blame the Train Operating Companies / Network Rail /
London Underground.

OK Mr Smarty Pants - perhaps you'd like to explain why it's possible
on some mainline stations but not others? Who *should* I complain
about other than the companies who actually run these stations -
Network Rail and First North Western?

WTH is the Transport Security Agency, anyway?