London Banter

-   -   Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1804-reduce-traffic-turn-left-red.html)

Rajesh Kakad \(BT\) May 28th 04 01:45 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

Would it not be easier to have the same rule as in the USA, where they can
turn right on a red signal?

So we should be able to turn LEFT at a RED light.

Of course the pedestrians and other cars on the green, have priority.

This would save time, reduce pollution (whilst waiting) and get traffic
moving, instead of sitting idle.

What does London say ?

Martin Underwood May 28th 04 02:33 PM

"Rajesh Kakad (BT)" wrote in message
Would it not be easier to have the same rule as in the USA, where they can
turn right on a red signal?

So we should be able to turn LEFT at a RED light.

Of course the pedestrians and other cars on the green, have priority.

This would save time, reduce pollution (whilst waiting) and get traffic
moving, instead of sitting idle.

What does London say ?

Some might say that a certain newt-collecting person who holds a mayoral
post in London might actually *want* the traffic to remain stationary for
longer so as to deter people from driving in London ;-)

In general I'd say that a turn-left-on-red rule would probably work quite
well. But to be effective, it would require a separate lane for
left-turners - otherwise the person in front of you who wants to go straight
on would prevent you getting past him to turn left. It would need a massive
programme of re-education, not just of drivers but also of pedestrians and
cyclists. Maybe it should only apply to junctions with a left filter, where
the left lane sees one of two aspects: flashing amber (while straight ahead
traffic has red, to warn you that you must still give way to traffic from
your right and to pedestrians) and green (in sync with the green lights for
straight-ahead traffic).

Possibly more urgent is to upgrade traffic lights to have a phase for
right-turning traffic: I've sat for ages at lights which only let one
vehicle turn right for each cycle of the lights because there is an
infinitesimally small time between the lights turning green to let you onto
the junction and the oncoming traffic starting to move, blocking your right
turn. I remember that there was a set of lights like this near Feltham, on
the route that the Heathrow Airport to Feltham Station bus used: it would
have been quicker to have got off the bus as it first stopped in the queue
and walked the last few hundred yards to the station :-(

Richard J. May 28th 04 03:17 PM

Rajesh Kakad (BT) wrote:
Would it not be easier to have the same rule as in the USA, where
they can turn right on a red signal?

So we should be able to turn LEFT at a RED light.

Of course the pedestrians and other cars on the green, have
priority.

This would save time, reduce pollution (whilst waiting) and get
traffic moving, instead of sitting idle.

What does London say ?

Even if there is a separate lane for left-turning traffic, which often
there isn't room for in London, a left-turning driver would have poor
visibility of conflicting traffic if a bus or truck is waiting in the
adjacent lane at the lights.

As a way of improving junction capacity, I prefer the French system
(Parisian, anyway) of giving pedestrians priority over turning vehicles.
At a cross-roads where north-south and east-west roads meet, when
north-south traffic has green signals, the 'green man' is displayed for
pedestrians crossing the east-west roads, and traffic turning into those
roads has to give way to them. I'm sure the HSE would have a fit, but
it does seem to work. The great advantage is that there is no need to
halt all traffic for a pedestrian-only phase.
--
Richard J.

gs May 28th 04 03:26 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Fri, 28 May 2004 13:45:43 +0000 (UTC), Rajesh Kakad (BT)
wrote:

Would it not be easier to have the same rule as in the USA, where they
can
turn right on a red signal?

So we should be able to turn LEFT at a RED light.

Of course the pedestrians and other cars on the green, have priority.

This would save time, reduce pollution (whilst waiting) and get traffic
moving, instead of sitting idle.

What does London say ?

Whilst we at it can we have flashing Amber traffic lights meaning give way
on traffic lights that are not as important during late evening
and early morning?

Like they do in Italy

How many times have you sat at a red light and nothing has passed through
before the light has gone green again?

also switch off pelican crossings after say 00.30 as people
have a habit of pressing the button as the pass them not intending to cross

anymore ideas?

Jeremy Parker May 28th 04 09:03 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

also switch off pelican crossings after say 00.30 as people
have a habit of pressing the button as the pass them not intending

to cross

anymore ideas?

In the USA they often turnoff traffic lights at night. When off one
direction flashes yellow - that's the major road. The other
direction flashes red - flashing red means the same as a "stop" sign.

Jeremy Parker

mookie89 May 28th 04 09:27 PM

wrote:

[...]

FWIW, here in the States there was quite a controversy when the idea was
first floated for Right Turn on Red. The nay-sayers complained of the
hundreds of thousands of pedestrians that would perish. There was, in fact,
quite a learning curve (no pun intended) and there were some tragic crashes
at first, but all-in-all it seems to work just fine now. As for a dedicated
right turn lane (left in the UK), while we do have some, the bulk of
intersections have none. Therefore if car #1 goes straight and car #2 wants
to turn, car #2 waits for the traffic signal to change. What would really
help here in the USA is British style roundabouts. I love driving in your
country because the roundabouts at least keep traffic somewhat flowing as
opposed to what someone else in this thread said about waiting for signals
to change when not a cross traffic or pedestrian is in sight. BTW, if we
want to turn left (in the USA) on to a one-way street that only goes to the
left and we are also on a one-way street, we can legally turn left.

Rich

Andrew P Smith May 28th 04 10:29 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

In article , Jeremy Parker
writes

also switch off pelican crossings after say 00.30 as people
have a habit of pressing the button as the pass them not intending

to cross

anymore ideas?

In the USA they often turnoff traffic lights at night. When off one
direction flashes yellow - that's the major road. The other
direction flashes red - flashing red means the same as a "stop" sign.

Jeremy Parker

Also done in some areas of Switzerland.

In Eastern Germany, at certain sets of lights, a sign exists permitting
you to turn right when the light is at red if the road is clear of other
traffic. Seems to work OK - it's a hang over from the days of Communist
East Germany.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Mark Brader May 29th 04 01:20 AM

Andrew Smith writes:
In Eastern Germany, at certain sets of lights, a sign exists permitting
you to turn right when the light is at red if the road is clear of other
traffic. ...

A textual sign, or graphical? I find it hard to imagine the icon for that.

In the US, intersections where you must *not* turn right on red (except in
New York, where by municipal law the default is reversed) are marked with
textual signs, NO TURN ON RED or similar wording. We used to have the
same here, but now a no-right-turn icon is placed beside an icon of a traffic
light with the red lit, and you're supposed to figure out for yourself that
a preposition or conjunction connecting the two signs is implied.

By the way, for those who have never experienced it, the North American
right-on-red does require the driver to stop first, and wait for all
conflicting traffic. In other words, here a red light is equivalent to
a stop sign if you're making a right turn. (And dishonored about as much.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Keep out of eyes--if this occurs, rinse with water.

Mark Brader May 29th 04 01:31 AM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

"Rich":
BTW, if we want to turn left (in the USA) on to a one-way street that
only goes to the left and we are also on a one-way street, we can
legally turn left.

He means on red, of course. Otherwise it wouldn't be interesting.

That is the usual rule in North America, but there is some variation
between states and provinces. A few don't allow this, while a few
allow left-on-red as long as you're turning *into* a one-way street
(left and right turns into the same street would go into different
lanes unless the one-way street was too narrow, so there's no conflict
with converging traffic); or as long as you're turning *from* a one-way
street. See e.g. http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/signals.html.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto cat/dev/null got your tongue?
-- Jutta Degener

John Rowland May 29th 04 07:22 AM

"Jeremy Parker" wrote in message

In the USA they often turnoff traffic lights at night.
When off one direction flashes yellow - that's the
major road. The other direction flashes red -
flashing red means the same as a "stop" sign.

So what's the difference between a flashing yellow and a solid green?

Incidentally, since the average life span of a traffic light bulb here is
about none months, I would imagine that the life of these flashing bulbs
must be a few weeks, unless they always use LEDs in them.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that dead traffic light bulbs have become very
common recently in London?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Michael Hoffman May 29th 04 08:48 AM

On Sat, 29 May 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Jeremy Parker" wrote:

In the USA they often turnoff traffic lights at night. When off one
direction flashes yellow - that's the major road. The other direction
flashes red - flashing red means the same as a "stop" sign.

So what's the difference between a flashing yellow and a solid green?

Solid green means that non-emergency vehicles may not legally cross the
road you are on (although they can turn right/left on red).

Flashing yellow means someone might try to cross the road before you get
there (although you still have right of way), so watch out for them.

Here there are signals marked "Part time signals" that simply go dark when
they are turned off. In the U.S. they would run flashing yellow/flashing
red in the equivalent circumstance. A signal that is black in the U.S.
should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Incidentally, since the average life span of a traffic light bulb here is
about none months, I would imagine that the life of these flashing bulbs
must be a few weeks, unless they always use LEDs in them.

In some U.S. municipalities they realized that the lower power consumption
of LEDs means that a replacement of a traffic signal bulb would pay for
itself in four years or so. So they started replacing all the bulbs even
before they burned out.
--
Michael Hoffman

Andrew P Smith May 29th 04 10:08 AM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

In article , Mark Brader
writes

A textual sign, or graphical? I find it hard to imagine the icon for that.

Graphical.

From memory it took the form of a green arrow pointing right attached to
the main green light. The graphic was mottled.

Clive May 29th 04 11:54 AM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

In message , gs writes

Whilst we at it can we have flashing Amber traffic lights meaning give way
on traffic lights that are not as important during late evening
and early morning?

Like they do in Italy

My experience in Naples is that traffic lights are advisory only.
--
Clive

Alex May 29th 04 08:48 PM

Mark Brader wrote:
In the US, intersections where you must *not* turn right on red (except in
New York, where by municipal law the default is reversed) are marked with
textual signs, NO TURN ON RED or similar wording.

It's just New York City where you can't right-turn on red. It's legal in the
rest of New York state. (Though you can't talk on a handheld cellphone in
the city or the state, which is very inconvenient for visiting Jersey
drivers who are used to turning right on red while holding their phone :-)

Alex

Annabel Smyth May 31st 04 10:34 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Fri, 28 May 2004 at 21:27:33, mookie89
wrote:

What would really
help here in the USA is British style roundabouts. I love driving in your
country because the roundabouts at least keep traffic somewhat flowing as
opposed to what someone else in this thread said about waiting for signals
to change when not a cross traffic or pedestrian is in sight.

Wouldn't it, just! I would die of frustration if I had to drive in the
USA, where every single intersection, no matter how minor, has its
traffic lights..... (on ordinary streets, not motorways, of course - but
Brooklyn or New York.... yikes!).
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 9 May 2004

Michael Hoffman June 1st 04 07:35 AM

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Annabel Smyth wrote:

I would die of frustration if I had to drive in the USA, where every
single intersection, no matter how minor, has its traffic lights.....

That's not entirely true. There will generally not be a traffic signal at
an intersection between a major road and a minor road, although there are
exceptions in central business districts. Likewise, intersections between
two minor roads usually do not have traffic signals.

And of course, I have actually seen roundabouts in America (!).

(on ordinary streets, not motorways, of course - but Brooklyn or New
York.... yikes!).

Brooklyn is a part of New York City.
--
Michael Hoffman

Jeremy Parker June 1st 04 08:14 AM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

What would really
help here in the USA is British style roundabouts.

Try Massachusetts. You too can drive like a Bostonian.

Jeremy Parker

mookie89 June 1st 04 01:27 PM

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 May 2004, Annabel Smyth wrote:

I would die of frustration if I had to drive in the USA, where every
single intersection, no matter how minor, has its traffic lights.....

That's not entirely true. There will generally not be a traffic signal at
an intersection between a major road and a minor road, although there are
exceptions in central business districts. Likewise, intersections between
two minor roads usually do not have traffic signals.

And of course, I have actually seen roundabouts in America (!).

(on ordinary streets, not motorways, of course - but Brooklyn or New
York.... yikes!).

Brooklyn is a part of New York City.
--
Michael Hoffman

Here in Illinois there is a specific formula for determining if/when a
traffic control is warranted, be it a stop sign, traffic signal, or simply a
yield sign. Being in a major metropolitan area - Chicago suburbs -
satisfying the requirement for X amount of traffic volume is reached fairly
quickly, it seems. Traffic signals seem to pop up like weeds, sprouting up
overnight - yes, I am exaggerating. In the northwest suburbs, there is one
traffic circle that I am aware of - been there many years. We used to go
sit and watch the fun as most people using it had not a clue what to do.
The circle is by an industrial area with many out-of-towners coming through
on a typical business day.

Interestingly enough, in a fast growing northern suburb of Indianapolis,
traffic circles are becoming quite common in new road construction. Drivers
seem a little tentative, not understanding proper traffic circle protocol,
but hopefully this will ease out and we Americans can take a lesson from our
British ancestors and keep the traffic flowing instead of sitting at a red
light wasting gasoline while absolutely no one is using the cross street.

Rich

Peter Beale June 1st 04 02:21 PM

In article , (Jeremy Parker) wrote:

What would really
help here in the USA is British style roundabouts.

Try Massachusetts. You too can drive like a Bostonian.

Just spent two weeks in MA, during which I came across about three
"rotaries". Anyone going to Boston is well-advised to park on the
edge and take the "T". The "Big Dig" is coming to its completion, but
some way to go yet!

One thing which struck me as very odd (apart from driving on the wrong
side of the road) was a number of quite major cross-roads where traffic
from all four directions is required to stop. They then look at each other
until one of them decides to proceed, hoping that the other will not do so
at the same time.

--
Peter Beale

HV Biker June 1st 04 04:15 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 15:21 +0100 (BST), (Peter Beale)
wrote:

One thing which struck me as very odd (apart from driving on the wrong
side of the road) was a number of quite major cross-roads where traffic
from all four directions is required to stop. They then look at each other
until one of them decides to proceed, hoping that the other will not do so
at the same time.

I like those four-way stops.

It's not supposed to be a free-for-all. Drivers should take it in
turns to move, with priority given to whomever arrived at the junction
first, and so on. IME it tends to work well - as long as everybody
plays by the rules.

The four-way stop has a significant benefit compared to a roundabout,
in that it is completely fair. It does not allow one heavily
trafficked route to monopolise the junction at peak times. I wish we
had them here.

HVB.

Martin Underwood June 1st 04 04:29 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

"Peter Beale" wrote in message
o.uk...
In article ,

(Jeremy Parker) wrote:

What would really
help here in the USA is British style roundabouts.

Try Massachusetts. You too can drive like a Bostonian.

Just spent two weeks in MA, during which I came across about three
"rotaries". Anyone going to Boston is well-advised to park on the
edge and take the "T". The "Big Dig" is coming to its completion, but
some way to go yet!

One thing which struck me as very odd (apart from driving on the wrong
side of the road) was a number of quite major cross-roads where traffic
from all four directions is required to stop. They then look at each other
until one of them decides to proceed, hoping that the other will not do so
at the same time.

I have driven a bit (probably about 1000 miles in total) in Massachussetts,
around small towns such as Ipswich, on the main highway between there and
Cape Cod, and in the centre of Boston.

My over-riding impression was that drivers there seemed more laid-back and
more willing, both in small towns and in Boston, to let pedestrians cross in
front of them. As a pedestrian I found cars would stop for me if I even
*thought* about crossing!

My other lasting impression is that road signing is appalling once you get
off the multi-lane highways: maybe I'm used to British signing where every
significant road junction has direction signs to the next village/town, and
not just a road name. A map that includes street names is essential. Also,
compass directions on signs tend to relate to where the road ends up, not
the next town it's heading for: if you know that you want a town that's due
east, it's disconcerting to have to follow signs that say "west" because
although the road initially goes east, it then turns south and *finally*
west.

I found it very disconcerting that there is often no give-way or stop line
where a minor road joins a major road - it's especially difficult to judge
where to stop if the minor road meets a major road on a bend.

Roundabouts (rotaries, traffic circles) are very rare. I can only think of
one that I encountered: on the entrance to Cape Cod over the Saggamore
Bridge. I found it dead easy to negotiate - just like a British roundabout
except you give way to traffic on your left. But I found that American
drivers were inclined to hesitate, fumble around and change lanes without
any regard for other traffic on roundabouts!

Four-way stop junctions are tedious: firstly because *all* traffic has to
stop, not just traffic on the road that is deemed to be minor, and secondly
because priority is based on the *order* in which traffic arrived (very
difficult to remember) rather than being based on *position* on the road,
such as the priority-to-the-right (or left) rule in roundabouts.

Some good points: variable speed limits that apply during specific hours: eg
25 outside a school, rising to 45 outside of the times when children will be
arriving or departing. Here in the UK there would be a blanket,
24-hour-a-day 30 (or even 20) limit.

Public transport in the centre of Boston is excellent: trains are frequent
on most lines of the T. But main-line trains (eg from Ipswich to Boston) are
*very* infrequent: at irregular times with about 90 minutes in between;
services on lines leading into a similar-sized British city (eg Leeds,
Manchester) would probably be every 30 minutes at the same number of minutes
past every hour.

Neil Williams June 1st 04 08:46 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 13:27:40 GMT, "mookie89"
wrote:

Interestingly enough, in a fast growing northern suburb of Indianapolis,
traffic circles are becoming quite common in new road construction. Drivers
seem a little tentative, not understanding proper traffic circle protocol,
but hopefully this will ease out and we Americans can take a lesson from our
British ancestors and keep the traffic flowing instead of sitting at a red
light wasting gasoline while absolutely no one is using the cross street.

Do they not use induction loops in the US? Most major traffic-light
intersections in the UK are fitted with these, which mean that if the
direction on green is not being used, the lights can be automatically
changed as a car approaches on the other one, meaning the car will
probably only need to slow down briefly if at all.

Where you have roundabouts with unbalanced flows, it's also common for
traffic lights to be used on the roundabout to regulate traffic flow.
A roundabout only really works if the traffic flow is reasonably
balanced. This is causing problems at certain roundabouts in Milton
Keynes, which are likely to gain traffic lights and/or speed limit
reductions to try to resolve the problem.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To e-mail use neil at the above domain

mookie89 June 1st 04 09:03 PM

wrote:

[...]

Inductions loops, yes. But.....
Here in Illinois, IDOT (Illinois Department of Transportation) may set the
control device(s) for peak/non-peak hours. So even though there is a loop,
it may take up to two minutes to cycle through depending upon what time of
day it is. Two minutes, 120 seconds, when no one is on the cross street is,
as you know, an eternity. Another irritant is pedestrian crosswalk
lighting. My experience in the UK has been that I push the button, the
light will change at some point, then almost immediately the system begins
bleeping and the light changes again meaning there is time for a few people
to cross and traffic once again proceeds. Here in the USA, it seems that
pedestrian lights are timed assuming the slowest person on earth is
crossing. Many times one person crosses, the light continues up to 30 full
seconds and then cycles again. Again, the time seems an eternity. All this
tends to have people jumping the light or worse yet, attempting to beat the
light before it changes red thereby endangering the pedestrian. I am not
complaining per se as some sort of traffic/pedestrian control is necessary.
The point of delicate balance, though, seems elusive.

Rich

Richard J. June 1st 04 09:06 PM

mookie89 wrote:

Interestingly enough, in a fast growing northern suburb of
Indianapolis, traffic circles are becoming quite common in new road
construction. Drivers seem a little tentative, not understanding
proper traffic circle protocol, but hopefully this will ease out
and we Americans can take a lesson from our British ancestors and
keep the traffic flowing instead of sitting at a red light wasting
gasoline while absolutely no one is using the cross street.

When you think you have mastered roundabouts, have a look at my
favourite, the Magic Roundabout at Swindon:
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm
--
Richard J.

James June 1st 04 09:29 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

Clive wrote in message ...
In message , gs writes

Whilst we at it can we have flashing Amber traffic lights meaning give way
on traffic lights that are not as important during late evening
and early morning?

Like they do in Italy
My experience in Naples is that traffic lights are advisory only.

No no no. In Milan, they are instructions, in Rome suggestions, and in
Naples Christmas decorations.

Neil Williams June 1st 04 09:48 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:03:10 GMT, "mookie89"
wrote:

Inductions loops, yes. But.....
Here in Illinois, IDOT (Illinois Department of Transportation) may set the
control device(s) for peak/non-peak hours. So even though there is a loop,
it may take up to two minutes to cycle through depending upon what time of
day it is. Two minutes, 120 seconds, when no one is on the cross street is,
as you know, an eternity. snip

This is rather silly. Applied properly, induction loops will override
the cycle and give right of way to the road on which there are
vehicles over the one where there are not. Only if there are vehicles
on more than one of the roads feeding the junction is it necessary to
revert to a traditional pre-programmed cycle.

This kind of thing is also used to give buses priority at certain
junctions, for example. If a vehicle is detected in the bus lane, the
lights are automatically changed in its favour so it shouldn't even
need to brake. This has been going on for a while - the intersections
on the 1970s Runcorn Busway are so fitted, I believe.

Neil

Freddy June 2nd 04 10:30 AM

wrote:

[...]

If enough drivers just start turning left through red lights anyway the
police aren't going to take any notice and it will become normal. It'll be
just like law the forbidding people to use their mobile phones whilst
driving which has become a complete JOKE. Another example is cyclists
riding being 'allowed' to ride through red lights.

Freddy

Ian Jelf June 2nd 04 10:32 AM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

In message , James
writes
No no no. In Milan, they are instructions, in Rome suggestions, and in
Naples Christmas decorations.

Just occasionally, something appears in Usenet to make me laugh out loud
and splatter the screen with tea. This - happily - was one such
moment! :-))

--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for

mookie89 June 2nd 04 01:43 PM

wrote:

[...]

Silly, I agree. And very frustrating. Just last night it happened to me.
Again. I went in to the city to catch a night baseball game (Chicago Cubs,
of course) and the train got back to my community at midnight. As I pulled
up to cross the major road, my light was red but the opposing traffic had a
left turn light. I had to sit through the entire cycle which allowed a
green on the cross street but not one vehicle was there! I finally got my
green light. It would just seem that with today's technology they could do
a better job.

Also, our emergency vehicles have what's known as an OptiCon System on
board. Basically it is a very specific white high intensity strobe lamp
aimed slightly upward. At many USA intersections a little periscope
appearing apparatus is mounted just above the traffic light. That's the
OptiCon sensor. When the police car/ambulance/fire truck emits the strobe
pulse, the signals quickly favor the emergency vehicle.

Rich

mookie89 June 2nd 04 01:46 PM

"Richard J." wrote in message
mookie89 wrote:

Interestingly enough, in a fast growing northern suburb of
Indianapolis, traffic circles are becoming quite common in new road
construction. Drivers seem a little tentative, not understanding
proper traffic circle protocol, but hopefully this will ease out
and we Americans can take a lesson from our British ancestors and
keep the traffic flowing instead of sitting at a red light wasting
gasoline while absolutely no one is using the cross street.

When you think you have mastered roundabouts, have a look at my
favourite, the Magic Roundabout at Swindon:
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm
--
Richard J.

OMG! I wonder what kind of, er, medicine that traffic engineer was taking
at the moment of truth. The police must have been severely....
puckered.... when they decided to let all the traffic just have at it. But
hey, if it works! Thanks for pointing this out to me. A very good British
friend of mine consults a lot in public transport, specializing in public
school transport. I'll have to ask her about this one.

Rich

Dave Babb June 2nd 04 03:22 PM

wrote:

[...]

Ok, you go first !!!! ;-)

Robin May June 2nd 04 03:39 PM

"Richard J." wrote the following in:

mookie89 wrote:

Interestingly enough, in a fast growing northern suburb of
Indianapolis, traffic circles are becoming quite common in new road
construction. Drivers seem a little tentative, not understanding
proper traffic circle protocol, but hopefully this will ease out
and we Americans can take a lesson from our British ancestors and
keep the traffic flowing instead of sitting at a red light wasting
gasoline while absolutely no one is using the cross street.

When you think you have mastered roundabouts, have a look at my
favourite, the Magic Roundabout at Swindon:
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

That's amazing! I think I might have to go to Swindon just to see that.

--
message by Robin May. Inimitable, but would you want to anyway?
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

Kitten in Big Brother: rebel without a cause (or brain).
Spelling lesson: then and than are different words.

Kat June 2nd 04 04:02 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

In message , Robin May
writes

mookie89 wrote:

Interestingly enough, in a fast growing northern suburb of
Indianapolis, traffic circles are becoming quite common in new road
construction. Drivers seem a little tentative, not understanding
proper traffic circle protocol, but hopefully this will ease out
and we Americans can take a lesson from our British ancestors and
keep the traffic flowing instead of sitting at a red light wasting
gasoline while absolutely no one is using the cross street.

When you think you have mastered roundabouts, have a look at my
favourite, the Magic Roundabout at Swindon:
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

That's amazing! I think I might have to go to Swindon just to see that.

I had the misfortune to *see* the one in Colchester recently....
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Helen Deborah Vecht June 2nd 04 04:51 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

Robin May typed

mookie89 wrote:

Interestingly enough, in a fast growing northern suburb of
Indianapolis, traffic circles are becoming quite common in new road
construction. Drivers seem a little tentative, not understanding
proper traffic circle protocol, but hopefully this will ease out
and we Americans can take a lesson from our British ancestors and
keep the traffic flowing instead of sitting at a red light wasting
gasoline while absolutely no one is using the cross street.

When you think you have mastered roundabouts, have a look at my
favourite, the Magic Roundabout at Swindon:
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

That's amazing! I think I might have to go to Swindon just to see that.

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

K June 2nd 04 05:11 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:51:28 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

That's amazing! I think I might have to go to Swindon just to see that.

I think there's a similar one in Hemel Hempstead....

I've not seen the one in Swindon but looking at that photo I think the
one in Hemel is much bigger

Gunnar Thöle June 2nd 04 07:57 PM

Andrew P Smith schrieb:
In Eastern Germany, at certain sets of lights, a sign exists permitting
you to turn right when the light is at red if the road is clear of other
traffic. Seems to work OK - it's a hang over from the days of Communist
East Germany.

If i may comment on this, in eastern germany this was a well-established
practice from quite long ago. The sign is called "gruener Pfeil" (green
arrow) and attached beneath the red light. The sign is not illuminated.
It was taken over by the west after the reunion. Here in Hamburg, a lot
of junctions now have a green arrow.

The learning curve was pretty low. There have been newspaper articles
saying what it is and how to use it. Its dead easy once you try it out.
I think the learning curve was so low because you can just ignore it!

How to use it:
a) if you don't want to use it, just ignore it.
b) Stop at the position where you would normally stop
c) Edge forward slowly until you can see if your route is clear of cars
and pedestrians (there is no all-pedestrian phase on german traffic
lights. Its done like an earlier post about France said, with priority
for pedestrians.)
d) off you go.

I love it.

PS On crossing the road in different countries: (Exagerated)
I was in Poland a few days ago. I had to re-learn how to cross a road...
It seems to me that polish drivers drive like hell...
What i figured out was this:
a) Watch if road is clear, but assume a higher vehicle speed that at home
b) if road is clear, be sure and watch again. cross.
c) Some roads never get clear. Wait for a small gap in traffic and just
hop onto the street.
d) dont watch cars approaching as you will be scared to death
e) cross
f) turn back to watch cars that stopped for you.
Judging by how the Polish do it this seems to be the way of crossing a road.
A Zebra Strip in Poland is just an indication of "Here might be a spot
suitable to cross the road" where in germany it says "Here pedestrians
have priority", making my learning even harder...

Tom Anderson June 2nd 04 08:50 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Kat wrote:

In message , Robin May
writes
"Richard J." wrote the following in:

mookie89 wrote:

traffic circles

When you think you have mastered roundabouts, have a look at my
favourite, the Magic Roundabout at Swindon:
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

I love that it's now _officially_ called The Magic Roundabout!

That's amazing! I think I might have to go to Swindon just to see that.

I had the misfortune to *see* the one in Colchester recently....

Hey, at least you haven't had to *cycle* across it on a regular basis ...

Actually, it's not that bad - the way it's laid out is a lot better than
in Swindon; there, it's one big expanse of tarmac with lines printed on it
a rather bizarre way (reminds me of the Nazca lines - AND SO CLEARLY BUILT
BY EXTRATERRESTRIALS IZERNTIT), whereas in Colchester, it's more like N
roundabouts connected by very short roads, so to a large extent, your
normal road sense handles it.

And apparently, it's officially called an Olympic Roundabout.

tom

--
Basically, at any given time, most people in the world are wasting time.

Tom Anderson June 2nd 04 08:51 PM

Reduce Traffic - Turn left on a RED

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, it was written:

wrote:

One thing which struck me as very odd (apart from driving on the wrong
side of the road) was a number of quite major cross-roads where traffic
from all four directions is required to stop.

The four-way stop has a significant benefit compared to a roundabout, in
that it is completely fair. It does not allow one heavily trafficked
route to monopolise the junction at peak times.

Hey, what if British roundabouts changed direction on a periodic (or
perhaps random) basis? That would make them fair.

Actually, it wouldn't, would it? More fun, though!

tom

--
Basically, at any given time, most people in the world are wasting time.

James Farrar June 2nd 04 09:42 PM

mookie89 wrote:

Interestingly enough, in a fast growing northern suburb of
Indianapolis, traffic circles are becoming quite common in new road
construction. Drivers seem a little tentative, not understanding
proper traffic circle protocol, but hopefully this will ease out
and we Americans can take a lesson from our British ancestors and
keep the traffic flowing instead of sitting at a red light wasting
gasoline while absolutely no one is using the cross street.

When you think you have mastered roundabouts, have a look at my
favourite, the Magic Roundabout at Swindon:
http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

That's amazing! I think I might have to go to Swindon just to see that.

When I was in Swindon a couple of years ago for a football game at the
County Ground, I made the mistake of trying to cross the MR from the
Burger King on the far side. That was a nightmare...

--
James Farrar |
London, SE13 |

Terry Harper June 3rd 04 09:05 PM

"Gunnar Thöle" wrote in message

A Zebra Strip in Poland is just an indication of "Here might be a spot
suitable to cross the road" where in germany it says "Here pedestrians
have priority", making my learning even harder...

No, in Poland the Zebra strip is regarded as a good place to make
pedestrians jump out of the way. A friend of mine used to describe them as
"Target Strips".
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm