London Banter

-   -   No Puter' No Flights.. (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1821-no-puter-no-flights.html)

rickety June 11th 04 06:39 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Paul Hill wrote:
rickety wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can
fly to a second country, but can't obtain that second country's
money until you get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in
lieu.

Most of Africa apparently prefers Euros these days...

Yes, because they are new, it is easy to pass forgeries!

Many of the French speaking African countries used to have their
currencies fixed to the French Franc. Now it is to the Euro. Maybe
this is the reason?

well it was fixed to the franc and their currencies were supported by
France. Now there is no franc so they fix to the Euro. I imagine that the
French still support the local currencies though.

--
Rickety

rickety June 11th 04 06:43 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , Al
writes
I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can
fly to a second country, but can't obtain that second country's
money until you get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in
lieu.

The problem here is that I have sterling accounts in the UK from
which I can draw pounds without exchange commission. I also live most
of the time in the USA. Arriving back in the UK from the USA requires
me to find a cash dispenser. I'm amazed at the apologists here who
claim this is an unrealistic expectation.

I'm with you on that. If the ATMs are there, they should be working. If they
are empty they should be filled. You are charged for the facility if you use
it.

However, some banks monitor these things closely, some don't. Did you by
chance follow up with any of the ATM providers (banks or service companies)?

--
Rickety

Roland Perry June 11th 04 09:01 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , rickety
writes
If the ATMs are there, they should be working. If they
are empty they should be filled. You are charged for the facility if you use
it.

However, some banks monitor these things closely, some don't. Did you by
chance follow up with any of the ATM providers (banks or service companies)?

Life's too short to take notes and complain. Especially with jetlag.

Meanwhile the "Link" ATM on Ealing Broadway Platform 4 was broken
yesterday (screen showing a message a bit like "sorry I'm broken").

And it's still like that today.

Obviously "Link" have no pride in their product, or no service
engineers, or even worse, no idea this machine is broken.

Jim Ley June 11th 04 09:50 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:13:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Al
writes
I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can fly to a
second country, but can't obtain that second country's money until you get
there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

The problem here is that I have sterling accounts in the UK from which I
can draw pounds without exchange commission. I also live most of the
time in the USA. Arriving back in the UK from the USA requires me to
find a cash dispenser. I'm amazed at the apologists here who claim this
is an unrealistic expectation.

Of course it's not, but it's hardly a disastrous situation, there's
loads of cash machines at gatwick, there's outlets where you can get
cashback, there's travel from the airport you can pay for with credit
or debit cards, it's not disastrous if a couple of ATM's you found
don't have cash in.

Jim.

Roland Perry June 12th 04 08:34 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Jim Ley
writes
I'm amazed at the apologists here who claim this
is an unrealistic expectation.

Of course it's not, but it's hardly a disastrous situation, there's
loads of cash machines at gatwick,

Hmm, I tried all five that I'm aware of at the north Terminal.

there's outlets where you can get cashback, there's travel from the
airport you can pay for with credit or debit cards,

But not taxis you've booked in advance.

it's not disastrous if a couple of ATM's you found don't have cash in.

Five. And yes, the taxi was happy to stop at a cashpoint in the real
world later in the journey. But it's an unnecessary hassle.

rickety June 14th 04 07:44 PM

Jim Ley wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:13:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Al
writes
[...]

It's along ride from Stanstead (where the OP came across the problem) to
Gatwick. Chances are though that he'd find an ATM that worked somewhere on
the way!. With Web based screen layout which the better ATMs now have, they
out to be able to point you to their nearest ATM that is working and has
some cash too.

--
Rickety

Al June 14th 04 09:36 PM

Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 at 13:10:37, Al wrote:

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can fly to
a second country, but can't obtain that second country's money until you
get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

What makes you think I'd have any US dollars?

Anyone travelling to a country with a non-convertible currency (China,
Russia etc) would be go with USD. If the currency is convertible, it can --
by definition -- be converted at home.

If I were going abroad
and wished to get money before I travelled, I would buy the currency of
that country.

So would I. Before travelling, unlike the OP.

In my young day, you worried whether you had enough money for
the duration - my grandmother's advice was always to take half the
clothes and twice the money you thought you'd need; these days, only the
former applies.

Given fashion in beach resorts these days, there's a case for taking only
1/8th the clothes...
--
Al

Steve Dulieu June 14th 04 10:13 PM

"rickety" wrote in message
Jim Ley wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:13:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Al
writes
[...]

Sadly, I wasn't going to Gatwick, I was going from Stansted to just behind
Turnpike Lane in a pre-booked taxi. The route was M11North
Circ.A10RoundwayDownhills Park Rd. Number of visible cashpoints on route
= 0. Mind you, it was getting on for midnight and my brother and I had just
spent the weekend in Munich ensuring that the European beer lake didn't get
too deep, so I may not have been functioning a peak efficiency...:-)
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Roland Perry June 15th 04 08:37 AM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Al
writes
If I were going abroad
and wished to get money before I travelled, I would buy the currency of
that country.

So would I. Before travelling, unlike the OP.

I have plenty of the currency the destination country, inside a bank!

In my young day, you worried whether you had enough money for
the duration - my grandmother's advice was always to take half the
clothes and twice the money you thought you'd need; these days, only the
former applies.

Given fashion in beach resorts these days, there's a case for taking only
1/8th the clothes...

Ah, so people only ever travel to beach holidays in hot countries? That
explains some of your other blinkers.

rickety June 15th 04 02:18 PM

Steve Dulieu wrote:
"rickety" wrote in message
Jim Ley wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:13:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Al
writes
[...]

sounds like a good weekend!