likely to continue throughout the day.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/3772077.stm

jj June 3rd 04 04:50 PM

No Puter' No Flights..

explained on 6/3/2004 :
Computer failure grounds flights
Most flights from UK airports have been suspended following an air traffic
control computer failure, National Air Traffic Services has confirmed.
It says flights have been grounded so that controllers can prioritise on
planes already in the air, but that air safety is unaffected.

Manchester and Bristol airports have said their systems are running again.

Many airports are advising people to check in as normal, but delays are
likely to continue throughout the day.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/3772077.stm

So what dickhead

--
mbouhahaha

Seanie O'Kilfoyle June 3rd 04 05:16 PM

No Puter' No Flights..

"jj" wrote in message
news:mn.1b027d4666cb59fe.11545@kickingGaysonsArse. c...
explained on 6/3/2004 :
Computer failure grounds flights
Most flights from UK airports have been suspended following an air

traffic
control computer failure, National Air Traffic Services has confirmed.
It says flights have been grounded so that controllers can prioritise on
planes already in the air, but that air safety is unaffected.

Manchester and Bristol airports have said their systems are running

again.

Many airports are advising people to check in as normal, but delays are
likely to continue throughout the day.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/3772077.stm

So what dickhead

--
mbouhahaha

GAYson Lamb-pou, the *fake* jj returns

jj June 4th 04 03:33 AM

No Puter' No Flights..

Seanie O'Kilfoyle pretended :
"jj" wrote in message
news:mn.1b027d4666cb59fe.11545@kickingGaysonsArse. c...
explained on 6/3/2004 :
Computer failure grounds flights
Most flights from UK airports have been suspended following an air traffic
control computer failure, National Air Traffic Services has confirmed.
It says flights have been grounded so that controllers can prioritise on
planes already in the air, but that air safety is unaffected.

Manchester and Bristol airports have said their systems are running again.

Many airports are advising people to check in as normal, but delays are
likely to continue throughout the day.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/3772077.stm

So what dickhead

--
mbouhahaha

GAYson Lamb-pou, the *fake* jj returns

I'm twice the SWAT you are you Irish *******, watch as I storm into the
bank and single-handidly kill all the terrorists RAMBO-style.

--
mbouhahaha

Jeremy Parker June 4th 04 10:24 AM

No Puter' No train tickets

I know just how they felt at Heathrow. A couple of weeks ago I
wanted totake a train. The screen on the ticket machine, instead of
the normal information said, "Windows NT, logging in", and then
"sorry, no service". It was still "sorry, no service" several days
later.

The air traffic control people are wise in sticking to a computer
system that's older than Microsoft.

Jeremy Parker

Steve Dulieu June 5th 04 01:12 AM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints

"Jeremy Parker" wrote in message
I know just how they felt at Heathrow. A couple of weeks ago I
wanted totake a train. The screen on the ticket machine, instead of
the normal information said, "Windows NT, logging in", and then
"sorry, no service". It was still "sorry, no service" several days
later.

/rant on/
Pretty OT, so apologies. About two weeks ago I arrived at Stansted at about
23:00 (easyjet flight from Munich). Had a minicab booked but no sterling, so
off to the cashpoints to get a bit of dosh. AFAIK there are three cashpoints
at Stansted, none of which are anywhere near the arrivals gate, all next to
each other hidden around the side of a bureau de change and on this occasion
all out of service. (wifey was impressed, "jump out of bed and meet me at
the door with 30 quid to pay for the cab please love" we still laugh about
it today) Coming from Munich, where there are shedloads of cashpoints (the
first you come across is immediately outside the arrivals gate) this came as
a bit of a shock until I switched from German expectations to English
expectations. Why is it that we settle for such crap service in this
country? Any visitor arriving is going to want some cash, the cashpoint
should be there in front of them when they come through the gate and if
we're only going to have three fairly well hidden cashpoints in an airport
the size of Stansted, at least make sure that one of them is working!
/rant off/
--
Cheers, Steve.

Zobo Kolonie June 5th 04 01:31 PM

"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

[...]

Stanstead init, where all the pikey flights go :-)
--
ZK - When I die accelerate my body to light speed, I always wanted a burial
at c

Roland Perry June 8th 04 09:28 AM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes
AFAIK there are three cashpoints
at Stansted, none of which are anywhere near the arrivals gate, all next to
each other hidden around the side of a bureau de change and on this occasion
all out of service.

I arrived at Gatwick North last week, and also needed cash for a taxi.
There are two cash machines opposite the exit from customs (where all
the taxi drivers wait for their customers), but both were out of action.
Downstairs in the shopping mall are three more, and all of them were
also out of action!!

Al June 8th 04 04:26 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Steve Dulieu
writes
AFAIK there are three cashpoints
at Stansted, none of which are anywhere near the arrivals gate, all next
to each other hidden around the side of a bureau de change and on this
occasion all out of service.

I arrived at Gatwick North last week, and also needed cash for a taxi.
There are two cash machines opposite the exit from customs (where all
the taxi drivers wait for their customers), but both were out of action.
Downstairs in the shopping mall are three more, and all of them were
also out of action!!

ATMs all rely on telephone lines. When one goes down, it is frequent that
all nearby ATMs also go down.

That's why sensible folk carry spare cash.
--
Al

Roland Perry June 9th 04 09:31 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Al
writes
ATMs all rely on telephone lines. When one goes down, it is frequent that
all nearby ATMs also go down.

I almost mentioned that I didn't think it was that then phone lines were
down, as they were happy to do statements, but not issue cash.

That's why sensible folk carry spare cash.

And if you've just flown in from foreign parts?

Al June 9th 04 09:43 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Al
writes
ATMs all rely on telephone lines. When one goes down, it is frequent that
all nearby ATMs also go down.

I almost mentioned that I didn't think it was that then phone lines were
down, as they were happy to do statements, but not issue cash.

Possibly a machine that's down could still cache account activity for
ministatements, but maybe that's stretching too far.

Perhaps more likely, the machines had simply run out of cash: again, if
demand is so high that one machine is cleaned out, it's likely nearby
machines would also be cleaned out.

That's why sensible folk carry spare cash.

And if you've just flown in from foreign parts?

Like me, they've exchanged for cash before they leave. What's so hard about
that? Even the Post Office will do it these days!
--
Al

Roland Perry June 10th 04 12:24 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Al
writes
Perhaps more likely, the machines had simply run out of cash

Incompetence, therefore.

That's why sensible folk carry spare cash.

And if you've just flown in from foreign parts?

Like me, they've exchanged for cash before they leave. What's so hard about
that? Even the Post Office will do it these days!

I wasn't aware that the UK Post Office had any outlets in the USA for me
to get pounds in advance of travelling to the UK.

Advice for travellers from the USA is invariably not to try to get UK
money from USA banks, but use a cash machine on arrival.

Annabel Smyth June 10th 04 12:45 PM

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 at 21:43:58, Al wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

And if you've just flown in from foreign parts?

Like me, they've exchanged for cash before they leave. What's so hard about
that? Even the Post Office will do it these days!

It depends on what country you have just flown from/to. Anyway, mostly
machines are cheaper, even than the PO.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Al June 10th 04 01:10 PM

Roland Perry wrote:

And if you've just flown in from foreign parts?

Like me, they've exchanged for cash before they leave. What's so hard
about that? Even the Post Office will do it these days!

It depends on what country you have just flown from/to. Anyway, mostly
machines are cheaper, even than the PO.

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can fly to a
second country, but can't obtain that second country's money until you get
there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

Anyway, if people wish to save themselves 60 pence of markup by not buying
currency until they arrive, then they shouldn't moan if they can't actually
get it when they arrive. After all, they've saved themselves 60p!
--
Al

Adrian June 10th 04 01:25 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
:

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can
fly to a second country, but can't obtain that second country's money
until you get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

Most of Africa apparently prefers Euros these days...

rickety June 10th 04 02:28 PM

Adrian wrote:
Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can
fly to a second country, but can't obtain that second country's money
until you get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

Most of Africa apparently prefers Euros these days...

Yes, because they are new, it is easy to pass forgeries!

--
Rickety

Annabel Smyth June 10th 04 02:53 PM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 at 13:10:37, Al wrote:

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can fly to a
second country, but can't obtain that second country's money until you get
there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

What makes you think I'd have any US dollars? If I were going abroad
and wished to get money before I travelled, I would buy the currency of
that country.

And if there aren't still plenty of countries where you can't take your
money in and out, there certainly were some years ago. China and
Tunisia spring instantly to mind; the old Iron Curtain countries also
didn't let you take their money out, although now they are all in the EU
and going into the Euro in a few years, that has changed.

Anyway, if people wish to save themselves 60 pence of markup by not buying
currency until they arrive, then they shouldn't moan if they can't actually
get it when they arrive. After all, they've saved themselves 60p!

It depends on how much currency you wish to travel with, of course.

Thank goodness for local ATMs, though - it's transformed travelling
abroad. In my young day, you worried whether you had enough money for
the duration - my grandmother's advice was always to take half the
clothes and twice the money you thought you'd need; these days, only the
former applies.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Paul Hill June 10th 04 03:32 PM

rickety wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can
fly to a second country, but can't obtain that second country's money
until you get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

Most of Africa apparently prefers Euros these days...

Yes, because they are new, it is easy to pass forgeries!

Many of the French speaking African countries used to have their
currencies fixed to the French Franc. Now it is to the Euro. Maybe
this is the reason?

Roland Perry June 10th 04 05:13 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Al
writes
I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can fly to a
second country, but can't obtain that second country's money until you get
there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

The problem here is that I have sterling accounts in the UK from which I
can draw pounds without exchange commission. I also live most of the
time in the USA. Arriving back in the UK from the USA requires me to
find a cash dispenser. I'm amazed at the apologists here who claim this
is an unrealistic expectation.

Andrew P Smith June 11th 04 06:32 AM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In article , Adrian
writes
Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying
:

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can
fly to a second country, but can't obtain that second country's money
until you get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

Most of Africa apparently prefers Euros these days...

US$ is still king in Tanzania.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

rickety June 11th 04 06:39 PM

Paul Hill wrote:
rickety wrote:
Adrian wrote:

Al ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can
fly to a second country, but can't obtain that second country's
money until you get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in
lieu.

Most of Africa apparently prefers Euros these days...

Yes, because they are new, it is easy to pass forgeries!

Many of the French speaking African countries used to have their
currencies fixed to the French Franc. Now it is to the Euro. Maybe
this is the reason?

well it was fixed to the franc and their currencies were supported by
France. Now there is no franc so they fix to the Euro. I imagine that the
French still support the local currencies though.

--
Rickety

rickety June 11th 04 06:43 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , Al
writes
I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can
fly to a second country, but can't obtain that second country's
money until you get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in
lieu.

The problem here is that I have sterling accounts in the UK from
which I can draw pounds without exchange commission. I also live most
of the time in the USA. Arriving back in the UK from the USA requires
me to find a cash dispenser. I'm amazed at the apologists here who
claim this is an unrealistic expectation.

I'm with you on that. If the ATMs are there, they should be working. If they
are empty they should be filled. You are charged for the facility if you use
it.

However, some banks monitor these things closely, some don't. Did you by
chance follow up with any of the ATM providers (banks or service companies)?

--
Rickety

Roland Perry June 11th 04 09:01 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , rickety
writes
If the ATMs are there, they should be working. If they
are empty they should be filled. You are charged for the facility if you use
it.

However, some banks monitor these things closely, some don't. Did you by
chance follow up with any of the ATM providers (banks or service companies)?

Life's too short to take notes and complain. Especially with jetlag.

Meanwhile the "Link" ATM on Ealing Broadway Platform 4 was broken
yesterday (screen showing a message a bit like "sorry I'm broken").

And it's still like that today.

Obviously "Link" have no pride in their product, or no service
engineers, or even worse, no idea this machine is broken.

Jim Ley June 11th 04 09:50 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:13:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Al
writes
I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can fly to a
second country, but can't obtain that second country's money until you get
there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

The problem here is that I have sterling accounts in the UK from which I
can draw pounds without exchange commission. I also live most of the
time in the USA. Arriving back in the UK from the USA requires me to
find a cash dispenser. I'm amazed at the apologists here who claim this
is an unrealistic expectation.

Of course it's not, but it's hardly a disastrous situation, there's
loads of cash machines at gatwick, there's outlets where you can get
cashback, there's travel from the airport you can pay for with credit
or debit cards, it's not disastrous if a couple of ATM's you found
don't have cash in.

Jim.

Roland Perry June 12th 04 08:34 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Jim Ley
writes
I'm amazed at the apologists here who claim this
is an unrealistic expectation.

Of course it's not, but it's hardly a disastrous situation, there's
loads of cash machines at gatwick,

Hmm, I tried all five that I'm aware of at the north Terminal.

there's outlets where you can get cashback, there's travel from the
airport you can pay for with credit or debit cards,

But not taxis you've booked in advance.

it's not disastrous if a couple of ATM's you found don't have cash in.

Five. And yes, the taxi was happy to stop at a cashpoint in the real
world later in the journey. But it's an unnecessary hassle.

rickety June 14th 04 07:44 PM

Jim Ley wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:13:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Al
writes
[...]

It's along ride from Stanstead (where the OP came across the problem) to
Gatwick. Chances are though that he'd find an ATM that worked somewhere on
the way!. With Web based screen layout which the better ATMs now have, they
out to be able to point you to their nearest ATM that is working and has
some cash too.

--
Rickety

Al June 14th 04 09:36 PM

Annabel Smyth wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 at 13:10:37, Al wrote:

I'm finding it difficult to think of a single country where you can fly to
a second country, but can't obtain that second country's money until you
get there, and where US dollars cannot be used in lieu.

What makes you think I'd have any US dollars?

Anyone travelling to a country with a non-convertible currency (China,
Russia etc) would be go with USD. If the currency is convertible, it can --
by definition -- be converted at home.

If I were going abroad
and wished to get money before I travelled, I would buy the currency of
that country.

So would I. Before travelling, unlike the OP.

In my young day, you worried whether you had enough money for
the duration - my grandmother's advice was always to take half the
clothes and twice the money you thought you'd need; these days, only the
former applies.

Given fashion in beach resorts these days, there's a case for taking only
1/8th the clothes...
--
Al

Steve Dulieu June 14th 04 10:13 PM

"rickety" wrote in message
Jim Ley wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:13:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Al
writes
[...]

Sadly, I wasn't going to Gatwick, I was going from Stansted to just behind
Turnpike Lane in a pre-booked taxi. The route was M11North
Circ.A10RoundwayDownhills Park Rd. Number of visible cashpoints on route
= 0. Mind you, it was getting on for midnight and my brother and I had just
spent the weekend in Munich ensuring that the European beer lake didn't get
too deep, so I may not have been functioning a peak efficiency...:-)
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

Roland Perry June 15th 04 08:37 AM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Al
writes
If I were going abroad
and wished to get money before I travelled, I would buy the currency of
that country.

So would I. Before travelling, unlike the OP.

I have plenty of the currency the destination country, inside a bank!

In my young day, you worried whether you had enough money for
the duration - my grandmother's advice was always to take half the
clothes and twice the money you thought you'd need; these days, only the
former applies.

Given fashion in beach resorts these days, there's a case for taking only
1/8th the clothes...

Ah, so people only ever travel to beach holidays in hot countries? That
explains some of your other blinkers.

rickety June 15th 04 02:18 PM

Steve Dulieu wrote:
"rickety" wrote in message
Jim Ley wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:13:51 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Al
writes
[...]

sounds like a good weekend!

--
Rickety

Annabel Smyth June 15th 04 03:38 PM

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 at 22:36:00, Al wrote:

Anyone travelling to a country with a non-convertible currency (China,
Russia etc) would be go with USD. If the currency is convertible, it can --
by definition -- be converted at home.

My parents have just returned from a trip to Russia, and say that Euros
are now as acceptable as dollars there.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

K June 15th 04 04:15 PM

wrote:

Arriving back in the UK from the USA requires me to
find a cash dispenser.

Requires? I know both countries have some strange laws but I've never
heard of that one

K June 15th 04 04:18 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 21:34:40 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

Hmm, I tried all five that I'm aware of at the north Terminal.

I think there are a few more than 5!

there's outlets where you can get cashback, there's travel from the
airport you can pay for with credit or debit cards,

But not taxis you've booked in advance.

but there are other places?

it's not disastrous if a couple of ATM's you found don't have cash in.

Five. And yes, the taxi was happy to stop at a cashpoint in the real
world later in the journey. But it's an unnecessary hassle.

You do seem to have a *lot* of trouble traveling around in this
country reading through your posts in UTL. Do you go out of your way
to find problems?

Al June 15th 04 04:22 PM

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Al
writes
If I were going abroad
and wished to get money before I travelled, I would buy the currency of
that country.

So would I. Before travelling, unlike the OP.

I have plenty of the currency the destination country, inside a bank!

If it pleases you to think that way, then I'm not one to rain on your
parade. However, as well as the 'plenty of currency inside a bank' you
imagine you have, you also have 'plenty of risk inside a bank': that it
will be closed; ceased trading; suspended during a money-laundering bust;
have ATM phonelines down etc etc etc.

You are willing to spend not a penny of your cash ameliorating that risk --
nor will apparently spend a moment of your time planning against the day
one of those risks hit.

That's not a problem for me, of course: those are your pennies and your
moments to spend or save as you wish. But when you save all those pennies
and moments, don't be surprised when wiser heads than you meet your
complaints with the derision your decisions deserve.
--
Al

Annabel Smyth June 15th 04 07:00 PM

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 at 17:22:50, Al wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:

I have plenty of the currency the destination country, inside a bank!

If it pleases you to think that way, then I'm not one to rain on your
parade. However, as well as the 'plenty of currency inside a bank' you
imagine you have, you also have 'plenty of risk inside a bank': that it
will be closed; ceased trading; suspended during a money-laundering bust;
have ATM phonelines down etc etc etc.

Do you keep your money under the bed, then? I rather doubt that any of
the banks here - Barclays, Abbey, Halifax, Lloyds TSB, whatever - are
going to go bust any time soon.

You are willing to spend not a penny of your cash ameliorating that risk --
nor will apparently spend a moment of your time planning against the day
one of those risks hit.

So where do you keep your money? IN a sock under your mattress? Don't
forget the OP means he has an account in THIS country, not in some less
developed country which doesn't have such strict banking laws as we do.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Roland Perry June 15th 04 07:02 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , Al
writes
You are willing to spend not a penny of your cash ameliorating that risk --
nor will apparently spend a moment of your time planning against the day
one of those risks hit.

Indeed, I'm acting just like any UK resident does when he runs out of
cash: I go and look for an ATM. Are you suggesting that all UK residents
should have a special reserve of cash, which they never spend, just in
case they encounter one of the risks you mention. They'd laugh you out
of town!

Roland Perry June 15th 04 07:03 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

In message , k
writes
Arriving back in the UK from the USA requires me to
find a cash dispenser.

Requires? I know both countries have some strange laws but I've never
heard of that one

If I took a taxi ride and didn't pay, isn't that still against the law?

Richard J. June 15th 04 08:56 PM

Was No Puter' No train tickets, OT Stansted cashpoints AND Gatwick Cashpoints

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , k
writes
Arriving back in the UK from the USA requires me to
find a cash dispenser.

Requires? I know both countries have some strange laws but I've
never heard of that one

If I took a taxi ride and didn't pay, isn't that still against the
law?

The point is that in order to avoid paying exchange charges you chose to
rely on the ATMs at Gatwick in order to obtain UK cash. There is a
clear risk in doing so, as in any situation where you have to pay cash
and choose to rely on using an ATM immediately beforehand. What
happened to the UK cash that you had when you left the UK last time?
Most people retain some for their return journey.
--
Richard J.

Terry Harper June 15th 04 09:26 PM

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

My parents have just returned from a trip to Russia, and say that Euros
are now as acceptable as dollars there.

Back in the late 1980s, DEM and Finnmarks were very acceptable in Moscow. A
number of hard currency shops were Finnish-owned and liked to have them and
give them in change. Sterling was less accepted, but would be taken. The
illegal money-changers all preferred dollars.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk/

Terry Harper June 15th 04 09:41 PM

"Richard J." wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:

If I took a taxi ride and didn't pay, isn't that still against the
law?

The point is that in order to avoid paying exchange charges you chose to
rely on the ATMs at Gatwick in order to obtain UK cash. There is a
clear risk in doing so, as in any situation where you have to pay cash
and choose to rely on using an ATM immediately beforehand. What
happened to the UK cash that you had when you left the UK last time?
Most people retain some for their return journey.

Our local hire car firms take credit cards (and debit cards, no doubt).
Doesn't yours?