Old June 15th 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube fare prices

In message , k
writes
What physical evidence contradicts the impression that the NR and TFL
lines are integrated?

We're talking about integrated pricing.

You can't have one without the other.

In your opinion. Given the ludicrous price hike for paper tickets I
wouldn't be so sure.

But do you have any evidence?

This is Usenet, I don't need evidence ;-)

I notice (as would some tourists) that London's Red Busses seem to be
operated by many different companies. So is it correct to assume that
they all charge different fares for identical routes?

No They show a LT roundel (or whatever its called)

I'll have to look in my TFL booklet to see how well they explain that to
tourists.

And how is a tourist to know that the District and Central lines aren't
two different companies?

They are the London Underground as even the thickest of tourists can
tell :-)

But that's not even the case. Witness the many conversations about the
difference between "The Tube", The Underground", "Subsurface" and "Deep"
lines.

Then they should have different routes/gates to get in and out of the
station.

Why? Do different airlines have different routes into the airport?

They have their own gates in the departure lounge, which is the
equivalent for ticket-checking purposes.

So why are they installed at Ealing Broadway - a NR-TOC operated
station?

They are for travelcards - as you well know. :-)

I'm learning (because I've effectively been away for a year), but one of
the things I'm learning is that the Oyster isn't as straight forward as
it looks. For example, how do I use my pre-pay to buy a one day
travelcard?

Old June 15th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

This is going to sound extremely dumb, I know. But when did a simple Z1
tube fare increase to Two Pounds? Well, that's what the machine at
Paddington charged me to go to St Pancras.

Ahh, that's why I love the Glasgow Underground. £1 takes you right the way
round the circle. And a full day's use is only £1.70

--
"We are now approaching Paisley Gilmour Street"
Old June 16th 04, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:26:43 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

We're talking about integrated pricing.

You can't have one without the other.

But we do, remember?

But do you have any evidence?

This is Usenet, I don't need evidence ;-)

Then nor do I :-)

Why? Do different airlines have different routes into the airport?

They have their own gates in the departure lounge, which is the
equivalent for ticket-checking purposes.

No - the tickets have already been checked - at check-in

I'm learning (because I've effectively been away for a year), but one of
the things I'm learning is that the Oyster isn't as straight forward as
it looks.

Got to agree with you there! and its only about 5 years behind
schedule.....

For example, how do I use my pre-pay to buy a one day
travelcard?

You can't any more. Apparently you used to be able to but that was
found to be too useful so it was stopped. You *shouldn't* need to
anyway if they'd got the Oyster card scheme working properly :-)
Old June 16th 04, 01:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:16:14 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes
Alternatives for a Zone 1 tube journey are Oyster Pre-Pay (£1.60) or a
Zone 1 Carnet (10 tickets for £15).

Sounds like a good scheme to rip off the tourists. Is this what London
elected Ken to do?

I thought the idea was to encourage those using the tube solely within
zone one to move to bus usage...

Cheers,

Jason.
Old June 16th 04, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Jason
writes
Alternatives for a Zone 1 tube journey are Oyster Pre-Pay (£1.60) or a
Zone 1 Carnet (10 tickets for £15).

Sounds like a good scheme to rip off the tourists. Is this what London
elected Ken to do?

I thought the idea was to encourage those using the tube solely within
zone one to move to bus usage...

An interesting perspective. I was going from Paddington to Kings Cross,
in the rush hour. I think walking would have been quicker than a bus.

Old June 16th 04, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , k
writes
Why? Do different airlines have different routes into the airport?

They have their own gates in the departure lounge, which is the
equivalent for ticket-checking purposes.

No - the tickets have already been checked - at check-in

In which case your argument still fails - each airline has its own
check-in desk.
Old June 16th 04, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:54:23 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In which case your argument still fails - each airline has its own
check-in desk.

Not always!