Old June 22nd 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground "Extension" Walls

Hello,

Apologies if this has been discussed before and I missed it.

On my way to Chelmsford, I have to go through London, and generally take a
service from either Dover or Ashford into Charing Cross.

On my way, about two weeks ago, somewhere between London Bridge and Waterloo
East (I think it was those two stations, if not, then Waterloo East, and
Charing Cross), the train went over a bridge which crossed a road. As it
went over, I looked down, and saw some large gray walls that were shielding
something (possibly a construction site?), and on the walls was printed:
"LONDON UNDERGROUND EXTENSION", with the usual Underground Roundel.

Have I missed something - is there genuinely an extension being built in
that area, or were the walls just being used to hide some construction
because those were the only walls they could find?

Thanks
Laura-Ann
--------------
This e-mail message has been scanned with Norton Anti - Virus software.
Any attachments should be legitimate, and virus free.
If they aren't, sue Symantec for it, they aren't doing their job properly.

Old June 22nd 04, 05:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Laura-Ann wrote:

On my way, about two weeks ago, somewhere between London Bridge and Waterloo
East (I think it was those two stations, if not, then Waterloo East, and
Charing Cross), the train went over a bridge which crossed a road. As it
went over, I looked down, and saw some large gray walls that were shielding
something (possibly a construction site?), and on the walls was printed:
"LONDON UNDERGROUND EXTENSION", with the usual Underground Roundel.

Have I missed something - is there genuinely an extension being built in
that area, or were the walls just being used to hide some construction
because those were the only walls they could find?

Thanks
Laura-Ann

Nope - they're just leftovers from the Jubilee Line extension which did
use this bit of land.

I think they may be planning on using the plot if they finally build
Thameslink 2000 which is why they haven't sold it yet (which would
probably be worth quite a few quid).
Old June 22nd 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Laura-Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like it might have been the back of Southwark tube - I seem to recall
that some of the walls there still fit your description. They probably just
never got round to repainting them.

Jonn

Old June 23rd 04, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the replies

Guess it would make sense. Well, maybe not make sense for them not to
remove/repaint the walls - I'm sure they have some really great excuse for
that.

Just nice to know I'm not missing something
Laura-Ann.
--------------

Old June 23rd 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Laura-Ann" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the replies

Guess it would make sense. Well, maybe not make sense for them not to
remove/repaint the walls - I'm sure they have some really great excuse for
that.

Is it not part of the JLE then anymore?

Why paint over something that isn't graffiti and is still technically
correct?

Perhaps there are more pressing needs to be address, like crumbling walls or
offensive graffiti?

Old June 23rd 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
K K is offline

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:42:18 +0100, "Robin Mayes"
wrote:

Is it not part of the JLE then anymore?

There is no JLE anymore, is there? isn't it the EJL now?
Old June 23rd 04, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message

"Laura-Ann" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the replies

Guess it would make sense. Well, maybe not make sense for them not to
remove/repaint the walls - I'm sure they have some really great excuse

for
that.

Is it not part of the JLE then anymore?

Why paint over something that isn't graffiti and is still technically
correct?

Perhaps there are more pressing needs to be address, like crumbling walls

or
offensive graffiti?

If they're not actually doing any construction of an Underground Extension
behind those walls, then why not change it?

Old June 24th 04, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Laura-Ann" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the replies

Guess it would make sense. Well, maybe not make
sense for them not to remove/repaint the walls -
I'm sure they have some really great excuse for that.

Is it not part of the JLE then anymore?

Why paint over something that isn't
graffiti and is still technically correct?

Perhaps there are more pressing needs to be
address, like crumbling walls or offensive graffiti?

If they're not actually doing any construction of an Underground
Extension behind those walls, then why not change it?

What would the business case be?

Maybe you could go down there on your day off and overpaint it. If you do it
neatly, no-one will mind.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped