London Banter

-   -   TfL Vision of the Future map (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1930-tfl-vision-future-map.html)

Dave Arquati July 6th 04 04:37 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link, Terminal
5 and Stratford International.

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

JB July 6th 04 05:02 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

I can get that file. Is there a link to the story with the map?

Annabel Smyth July 6th 04 05:10 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 at 17:37:55, Dave Arquati wrote:

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link,
Terminal 5 and Stratford International.

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

It's fascinating - but an awful lack of joined-up thinking from my point
of view - why on earth can't they extend the proposed Cross River
Transit from Brixton to Streatham, there to join up with the extended
Croydon Tramlink? Since the buses have got much better, it's easier
than it used to be to get a southbound bus from Brixton at this time of
night (6.00 pm), but it's still common to have to wait, and it isn't
pleasant! Much easier to be able to get down to Streatham, or possibly
just as far as Herne Hill to join Thameslink services to Streatham.....
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

John Hearns July 6th 04 05:36 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 17:37:55 +0100, Dave Arquati wrote:

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Anyone know the exact location for the
"Stratford International for the Olympics" station?
I was in that area this weekend, having a look round.

PRAR July 6th 04 05:46 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

wrote:

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

SNIP
It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Doesn't show the Centralle tram stop in Croydon !!! :-(

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. Dick Cavett

David Boothroyd July 6th 04 06:10 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

In article ,
Dave Arquati wrote:

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link, Terminal
5 and Stratford International.

No Chelsea-Hackney line though.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"The guilty party was the Liberal Democrats and they were hardened offenders,

JWBA68 July 6th 04 06:34 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link, Terminal
5 and Stratford International.

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

TfL are obviously not interested in bringing the Bakerloos back to Watford
Junction!

Burkey

Joe July 6th 04 06:37 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Dave Arquati wrote:
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Grr. I hate PDF files, they are a complete and utter waste of time and
money. Ban them, I say!
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see

Dave Arquati July 6th 04 07:17 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

JB wrote:
It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

I can get that file. Is there a link to the story with the map?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C912CB8

I have now noticed a few oddities:
* East London Line northern extension goes to Caledonian Rd & Barnsbury
- I know they are planning a reversing siding near there but I didn't
think they'd run services the extra stop.

* I wasn't aware that Farringdon Crossrail would have two exits (one at
Barbican) but that might just be me.

* They've left the Moorgate Thameslink branch on there (as well as
Shoreditch on the ELL) which might be misleading.

* I thought the Crystal Palace Tramlink branch was from the Streatham
branch, not the Beckenham Jcn one.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Michael Hoffman July 6th 04 07:19 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Dave Arquati wrote:

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

You have to love the acrobatic station markers at Farringdon/Barbican and
Liverpool Street/Moorgate.
--
Michael Hoffman

Richard J. July 6th 04 07:56 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Joe wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote:

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Grr. I hate PDF files, they are a complete and utter waste of time
and money. Ban them, I say!

How else would you display via the web a large, complex map with the
ability to zoom in to look at areas in detail? Maybe you need a faster
PC. I too used to grumble about the time taken to load Acrobat Reader
until I replaced my 5-year-old PC last year.
--
Richard J.

Joe July 6th 04 08:02 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Richard J. wrote:
Maybe you need a faster
PC.

I bought a new computer in September and it works fine, howver I still
havent been able to get into this "Map" because it is a PDF file, which
are all complate wastes of time. A Gif would be a much better solution
with a Bmp for those who want good quality.

Richard J. July 6th 04 08:14 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Joe wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Maybe you need a faster
PC.

I bought a new computer in September and it works fine, howver I
still havent been able to get into this "Map" because it is a PDF
file,

Get Acrobat Reader plugged into your browser then, unless you are using
an odd browser that it doesn't interface with. (This is getting
off-topic -- mail me if you want to pursue this.)
--
Richard J.

Richard J. July 6th 04 08:17 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Dave Arquati wrote:
JB wrote:
It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

I can get that file. Is there a link to the story with the map?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C912CB8

I have now noticed a few oddities:
* East London Line northern extension goes to Caledonian Rd &
Barnsbury - I know they are planning a reversing siding near there
but I didn't think they'd run services the extra stop.

* I wasn't aware that Farringdon Crossrail would have two exits
(one at Barbican) but that might just be me.

All the Central London stations on Crossrail will have two exits. Only
at Farringdon (Barbican) and Liverpool Street (Moorgate) do both ends
link to Tube stations.

* They've left the Moorgate Thameslink branch on there (as well as
Shoreditch on the ELL) which might be misleading.

The map doesn't have a way of indicating that an existing line will
close by 2016. Another example is Turnham Green to Richmond: the
District service will cease if/when Crossrail starts running.

* I thought the Crystal Palace Tramlink branch was from the
Streatham branch, not the Beckenham Jcn one.

Also:

* No interchange shown between Isle of Dogs (Crossrail) and West India
Quay (DLR) despite the former being below the latter.

* No White City station on the Hammersmith & City. I thought this was
planned to be reinstated to serve the shopping complex.

* No apostrophes in Earls Court, Regents Park, Kings Cross, etc! Is
this one of the plans for 2016? :-)

--
Richard J.

Dave Arquati July 6th 04 08:29 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

David Boothroyd wrote:
In article ,
Dave Arquati wrote:

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link, Terminal
5 and Stratford International.

No Chelsea-Hackney line though.

Completion is predicted for 2016 *at the earliest* if it were taken
ahead with Crossrail 1; if Crossrail 1 gets funding next week in the
Spending Review then it will have taken decades to get it and I don't
see anyone splashing out on Crossrail 2 within the same decade.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Robin Mayes July 6th 04 08:35 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message

You have to love the acrobatic station markers at Farringdon/Barbican and
Liverpool Street/Moorgate.

Don't quite know what's going on at Barbican and Farringdon, but the plans
for Liverpool Street Crossrail show escalators linking to both Liverpool
Street and Moorgate Underground stations. ISTR the main Crossrail ticket
hall being under the new office block being built on the corner of
Moorfields / London Wall, which is just south of Moorgate station.

Colin July 6th 04 08:44 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

"JWBA68" wrote in message
TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link, Terminal
5 and Stratford International.

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

TfL are obviously not interested in bringing the Bakerloos back to Watford
Junction!

Burkey

Don't know how you figure that - the map clearly shows Silverlink Metro
going to Watford Junction. The Bakerloo still stops at Harrow & Wealdstone.

I'm guessing they included Silverlink as it indicates the new interchange
opportunity at Watford Junction. Also it does provide a 'metro' service to
Headstone Lane & Hatch End which are both within Greater London.

Colin

PRAR July 6th 04 08:50 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:02:22 +0100, Joe
wrote:

Richard J. wrote:
Maybe you need a faster
PC.

I bought a new computer in September and it works fine, howver I still
havent been able to get into this "Map" because it is a PDF file, which
are all complate wastes of time. A Gif would be a much better solution
with a Bmp for those who want good quality.

The pdf map is a vector graphic - much better for scaling and zooming
than any bitmap.

I do have a thing against people who put bitmaps in pdfs or create
them with out actually checking if they work properly, but done well
pdfs are a very portable format.

Also try selcting the text off a bitmap and see where it gets you.

PRAR

Colin July 6th 04 08:57 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
JB wrote:
It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

I can get that file. Is there a link to the story with the map?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C912CB8

I have now noticed a few oddities:
* East London Line northern extension goes to Caledonian Rd & Barnsbury
- I know they are planning a reversing siding near there but I didn't
think they'd run services the extra stop.

* I wasn't aware that Farringdon Crossrail would have two exits (one at
Barbican) but that might just be me.

It isn't that far - I can well believe that a 12 car platform would stretch
all the way between Farringdon & Barbican (think of City Thameslink and how
far apart the Ludgate Hill & Holborn Viaduct exits are).

Farringdon was going to get a new entrance building for Thameslink 2000
anyway, so maybe it'll also cope with the Crossrail entrance.

* They've left the Moorgate Thameslink branch on there (as well as
Shoreditch on the ELL) which might be misleading.

And Watford (Met). I think they are more keen to enthuse people about new
services than point out that current ones may be withdrawn, thus causing
protests. Just look at the upset that has been caused by the fact that
Richmond will lose its beloved District line to make way for Crossrail!

Colin

JB July 6th 04 09:06 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

JB wrote:
It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

I can get that file. Is there a link to the story with the map?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2C912CB8

That's done it - thanks.

Michael Hoffman July 6th 04 09:39 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Robin Mayes wrote:

Don't quite know what's going on at Barbican and Farringdon, but the plans
for Liverpool Street Crossrail show escalators linking to both Liverpool
Street and Moorgate Underground stations.

I remember reading that in order to handle the passenger load of
a Crosstrail train which will hold more than SSL trains, the stations will
have two ways out at either end of the platform. In some cases
(Farringdon, Liverpool Street) this will mean connecting to two
LU stations.
--
Michael Hoffman

James Farrar July 6th 04 10:20 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

"Robin Mayes" wrote:

"Michael Hoffman" wrote in message
news:Pine.WNT.4.58.0407062019010.3224@ZVAVZBB.. .

You have to love the acrobatic station markers at Farringdon/Barbican and
Liverpool Street/Moorgate.

Don't quite know what's going on at Barbican and Farringdon, but the plans
for Liverpool Street Crossrail show escalators linking to both Liverpool
Street and Moorgate Underground stations. ISTR the main Crossrail ticket
hall being under the new office block being built on the corner of
Moorfields / London Wall, which is just south of Moorgate station.

Moorhouse.

Yes, there is at least one poster on the external hoarding mentioning
the void that's been left underground for the Crossrail ticket hall.

--
James Farrar |
London, SE13 |

JWBA68 July 6th 04 10:32 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Don't know how you figure that - the map clearly shows Silverlink Metro
going to Watford Junction. The Bakerloo still stops at Harrow & Wealdstone.

I'm guessing they included Silverlink as it indicates the new interchange
opportunity at Watford Junction. Also it does provide a 'metro' service to
Headstone Lane & Hatch End which are both within Greater London.

It only shows the Bakerloos going as far as Harrow & Wealdstone!
Headstone Lane & Hatch End would have to have a 10 minute service all day every
day to be deemed a proper 'metro' service.

Burkey

John Rowland July 6th 04 11:25 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Thanks!

The omissions are more interesting.

Park Royal interchange
West Hampstead Met Interchange
Tufnell Park Goblin interchange (no surprise)
Langdon Park DLR station - whatever happened to that?
New H&C station at White City

Anyway, Tramlink seems to be track-sharing with Thameslink trains between
Sutton and Wimbledon! Will HSE be up for that?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Colin July 6th 04 11:50 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

"JWBA68" wrote in message
Don't know how you figure that - the map clearly shows Silverlink Metro
going to Watford Junction. The Bakerloo still stops at Harrow &

Wealdstone.

I'm guessing they included Silverlink as it indicates the new interchange
opportunity at Watford Junction. Also it does provide a 'metro' service

Headstone Lane & Hatch End which are both within Greater London.

It only shows the Bakerloos going as far as Harrow & Wealdstone!

That is what I said!

Headstone Lane & Hatch End would have to have a 10 minute service all day

every
day to be deemed a proper 'metro' service.

TfL seem to classify '4 an hour' as a 'Metro' service, as seen at several
stations on the 'Overground Network' south of the river.

Burkey

Aidan Stanger July 7th 04 01:51 AM

TfL Vision of the Future map

John Rowland wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote...

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Thanks!

The omissions are more interesting.

Park Royal interchange
West Hampstead Met Interchange
Tufnell Park Goblin interchange (no surprise)
Langdon Park DLR station - whatever happened to that?
New H&C station at White City

Anyway, Tramlink seems to be track-sharing with Thameslink trains between
Sutton and Wimbledon! Will HSE be up for that?

Possibly if both were modified, but persuading them would be more
trouble than it's worth. Besides, wasn't that idea abandoned in favour
of a more direct street alignment for Tramlink?

Dan Gravell July 7th 04 07:40 AM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Annabel Smyth wrote:

It's fascinating - but an awful lack of joined-up thinking from my point
of view - why on earth can't they extend the proposed Cross River
Transit from Brixton to Streatham, there to join up with the extended
Croydon Tramlink? Since the buses have got much better, it's easier
than it used to be to get a southbound bus from Brixton at this time of
night (6.00 pm), but it's still common to have to wait, and it isn't
pleasant! Much easier to be able to get down to Streatham, or possibly
just as far as Herne Hill to join Thameslink services to Streatham.....

I don't want to sound like a partial whinger, but it just looks like yet
more options to everyone but those in South London to me. Perhaps I'm
just paranoid, but I really fail to see the point of a transport link to
Purley. IMO.

And yes, a reliable link to Brixton would be much nicer. I know about
the corridor through Streatham particularly around the library that
makes it difficult, but either just sod the cars or bulldoze Lidl imo.
Either way it's win:win ;)

Clive R Robertson July 7th 04 09:16 AM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 00:25:14 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Thanks!

The omissions are more interesting.

Park Royal interchange
West Hampstead Met Interchange
Tufnell Park Goblin interchange (no surprise)
Langdon Park DLR station - whatever happened to that?
New H&C station at White City

One might ask, what's happened to the CRT link to King's Cross and
north thereof?

Regards,

Clive

--
Clive R Robertson -- AS/400 Programmer.

Webmaster of http://www.osterleypark.org.uk/ -- this describes
a beautiful National Trust property in West London.

Sam Holloway July 7th 04 09:21 AM

TfL Vision of the Future map

wrote:
I bought a new computer in September and it works fine, howver I still
havent been able to get into this "Map" because it is a PDF file, which
are all complate wastes of time. A Gif would be a much better solution
with a Bmp for those who want good quality.

(OT) Erm, no. A GIF with a correct palette would give just as much
quality as a BMP for this sort of image (GIF is non-lossy compression,
remember - it's just limited to 8-bit colour). It's JPEG that would
degrade the quality.

PDF is very useful for this sort of image because you can zoom in and
out and have the image rerendered for you. Even on my rather elderly
PC here, it loaded fine. Perhaps you need to do some fixing?

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge

Sam Holloway July 7th 04 09:56 AM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:17:43 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:
about
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Fascinating stuff, and quite an impressive piece of design, too.
Thanks, Dave, for pointing this out to us!

* No interchange shown between Isle of Dogs (Crossrail) and West India
Quay (DLR) despite the former being below the latter.

But then, the Isle of Dogs Crossrail station is diagramatically
position away from the Isle of Dogs. :-) The geography appears to be
quite twisted here.

* No White City station on the Hammersmith & City. I thought this was
planned to be reinstated to serve the shopping complex.

There seemed to be few changes to the UndergrounD lines in general :
Metropolitan proposals at Croxley/Watford, Heathrow T5 on the
Piccadilly, and East London extensions, but that's it. Any mooted
plans to extend Victoria or Bakerloo lines south must be pretty
dormant.

* No apostrophes in Earls Court, Regents Park, Kings Cross, etc! Is
this one of the plans for 2016? :-)

Quite possibly! Apostrophe abuse is so common now that getting rid of
them altogether could be the way forward. :-) (Personally it feels
more wrong to see an apostrophe where there shouldn't be one than to
see one omitted...)

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge

Jonn Elledge July 7th 04 10:43 AM

TfL Vision of the Future map

"JWBA68" wrote in message
TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

Some particular National Rail lines are included on the map as well as
Crossrail 1, Thameslink 2000, the ELLX, Cross River Transit, DLR
extensions, East London Transit, Greenwich Waterfront Transit, the West
London Tram, the Croydon Tramlink extensions, the Croxley Link, Terminal
5 and Stratford International.

It's very interesting!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

TfL are obviously not interested in bringing the Bakerloos back to Watford
Junction!

They haven't said they have, have they?

4tph isn't great, admittedly; but there are areas that have far worse
service that should be prioritized. Especially since the Bakerloo's already
jampacked.

Jonn

Marc Brett July 7th 04 10:59 AM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 10:56:48 +0100, Sam Holloway
wrote:

There seemed to be few changes to the UndergrounD lines in general :
Metropolitan proposals at Croxley/Watford, Heathrow T5 on the
Piccadilly, and East London extensions, but that's it. Any mooted
plans to extend Victoria or Bakerloo lines south must be pretty
dormant.

There was some talk about eliminating Kew Gardens and Richmond from
the District Line, to be replaced by Crossrail. The PDF map shows
them both in place. Does this mean that the District Line will be
preserved intact, or is this still under review?

Also, why doesn't the Kingston branch of Crossrail end at Norbiton?
It is in Crossrail's own planning documents, and would bring people
right to Kingston Hospital.

Richard J. July 7th 04 11:20 AM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Marc Brett wrote:

There was some talk about eliminating Kew Gardens and Richmond from
the District Line, to be replaced by Crossrail. The PDF map shows
them both in place. Does this mean that the District Line will be
preserved intact, or is this still under review?

As I pointed out in an earlier post, the map doesn't have a way of
indicating existing lines that would be closed. The current Crossrail
plan removes District services on the Richmond branch.

Also, why doesn't the Kingston branch of Crossrail end at Norbiton?
It is in Crossrail's own planning documents, and would bring people
right to Kingston Hospital.

It was in Crossrail's original proposal for this branch in order to
provide reversing facilities. The current plan (dating from September
2003 IIRC) has 8tph terminating at Richmond, and Crossrail's view is
that Kingston can cope with the remaining 4tph.
--
Richard J.

Annabel Smyth July 7th 04 01:27 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 at 08:40:56, Dan Gravell
wrote:

And yes, a reliable link to Brixton would be much nicer. I know about
the corridor through Streatham particularly around the library that
makes it difficult, but either just sod the cars or bulldoze Lidl imo.
Either way it's win:win ;)

Why can't they go down Tooting Bec Common, if they can't go down the
High Road? (No, I don't want them to bulldoze Lidl; I like Lidl!)
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Jason July 7th 04 01:29 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:37:26 +0100, Joe
wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote:
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/_...nsport_map.pdf

Grr. I hate PDF files, they are a complete and utter waste of time and
money. Ban them, I say!

Especially seeing as Adobe Reader 6.0 is so expensive! ;-)

Cheers,

Jason.

Annabel Smyth July 7th 04 01:36 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 at 17:37:55, Dave Arquati wrote:

TfL have unveiled a "future of transport" map which shows how the
Underground map (or rather "TfL map") would look in 2016 if they get
funding for the projects they want to build.

One thing that pleases me is that Waterloo and King's Cross/St Pancras
are *both* marked as Eurostar stations - I was afraid that Waterloo
International would close when the new terminus at St Pancras opens.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Niklas Karlsson July 7th 04 02:31 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

In article , Annabel Smyth wrote:
One thing that pleases me is that Waterloo and King's Cross/St Pancras
are *both* marked as Eurostar stations - I was afraid that Waterloo
International would close when the new terminus at St Pancras opens.

They might simply be hedging because they don't know which will be the
case. :-)

Niklas
--
"I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory."
-- Robert Sneddon

Tom Anderson July 7th 04 02:39 PM

Extending the Bakerloo and Victoria lines south TfL Vision ofthe Future map

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Sam Holloway wrote:

Any mooted plans to extend Victoria or Bakerloo lines south must be
pretty dormant.

I've heard mention of such plans, but no details (at least not for the
Victoria). What exactly has been proposed (seriously or not)?

tom

-- It is especially delicious (haha) and tacky at the same time when they
stick a strawberry on two toothpicks in a weird imitation of Christ for no
particular reason and give it to you with your drink. -- jisms

Fustanella July 7th 04 03:24 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

are all complate wastes of time. A Gif would be a much better solution
with a Bmp for those who want good quality.

Huh?

A GIF is a compressed bitmap without loss. Why suffer through a much larger
file unnecessarily?

Fustanella July 7th 04 03:25 PM

TfL Vision of the Future map

Except it wouldn't, because then you run into licensing and patent
issues...Which is why most people are switching away from GIFs to JPEGs
and PNGs...Apart from anything else, PDFs tend to scale and print a lot

There's no such issue with GIF any longer. The LZW patent (one of the
compression technologies found in GIF) expired within the last year or so.