Old July 12th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Decks vs hinges

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Colin McKenzie wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?

Because they would go over the 3-axle weight limit for roads?

Aha. Could we add more axles?

With wheels, obviously. I'm not suggesting just bunging one on the roof to
keep the feds happy.

tom

--
Georgia New York Los Angeles Vegas Washington Utah

Old July 12th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

Nick Cooper wrote:

Funny that. Most times I get on a 29, 329 or 121 at Wood Green, the
lower deck is jammed with stupid ****s you can't get past to get up
the stairs to use the three-quarters empty top deck....

Which seems like an excellent argument for not bothering with double
deckers at all?

It's more an argument for designing them so that you can get to the stairs
even when the **** load is high - thus, we non-****s would be able to
enjoy the airy, ****-free top deck.

tom

--
Georgia New York Los Angeles Vegas Washington Utah

Old July 12th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:20:04 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Arthur Figgis" ] wrote in message
.. .

DD trams used to be standard in the British Isles,
and they also existed elsewhere but fell out of favour.
They are now found in Blackpool, Hong Kong,
Alexandria and Birkenhead (which hardly counts).

And Seaton.

Yes, and there may well be a number of other tourist/novelty/heritage
style operations around the world. Are there any other "serious" mass
transport systems?

Why does Birkenhead hardly count?

When I last visited, which admitedly was a long while ago, it was
about this long -- --- and was a "heritage"-style service with ~2
Hong Kong trams running to a small tram museum. It couldn't be used to
go anywhere useful, though it might have expanded (and got longer
opening hours) since then.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old July 12th 04, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Nick Cooper wrote:

Funny that. Most times I get on a 29, 329 or 121 at Wood Green, the
lower deck is jammed with stupid ****s you can't get past to get up
the stairs to use the three-quarters empty top deck....

Which seems like an excellent argument for not bothering with double
deckers at all?

It's more an argument for designing them so that you can get to the stairs
even when the **** load is high - thus, we non-****s would be able to
enjoy the airy, ****-free top deck.

Couldn't possibly do that, it'd be too easy.

Hells teeth, it might even lead to the reintroduction of rear platform and
stair type buses!!

Old July 13th 04, 07:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote in uk.transport.london on Mon, 12 Jul 2004 20:27:16
+0100 :

"Annabel Smyth" wrote in message

my blind sister-in-law and I were laughing yesterday
at the fact that the bell-pushes have braille letters
on them telling you what they are - by the time you
have felt around to find them, we reckoned, you
would know you had without needing to be told!

It won't be long until the supermarket deli counters have their "Hot - don't
touch" signs in braille.

"Now please wash your hands" in Braille has already been spotted in a
Gents toilet...

Dave

--
If the Internet is a Marx Brothers movie, and
Web, e-mail, and IRC are Groucho, Chico, and Harpo,

Old July 13th 04, 08:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 05:01:58 GMT,
Alistair McIndoe
wrote in :
"Steve Dulieu" wrote in message

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message

Certainly double-decker trains in Switzerland. From the entry
doors you descend several steps to the lower deck or climb stairs to the
upper. Many of the S-Bahn trains around Zurich are so equipped.

I've certainly been on several RB/RE double decker trains in and around
München in Germany...

And then you've got the double-decker trains that go under bits of Paris.
RTAP or RER or whatever. Why does most of the Paris metro smell like a
sewer?

Ah, I've moved to Paris have I? There's an expensive smell of
Eau de Must-Get-a-Plumber-In starting near my pipework. :-(

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old July 14th 04, 12:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Arquati
writes
Actually that's probably not a good idea; you might have problems with
dwell times at stops as 150,000 people try to alight from three buses at
the same stop.

Sounds like Oxford Circus on a Saturday lunchtime....
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old July 14th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Annabel Smyth
writes
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 at 05:01:58, Alistair McIndoe
wrote:

And then you've got the double-decker trains that go under bits of Paris.
RTAP or RER or whatever. Why does most of the Paris metro smell like a
sewer? London's tubes don't whiff like that. I know Paris is marginally
closer to the equator (and marginally further away from the Arctic), but is
a climate difference to blame? Maybe a diet of snails, horsemeat and frogs'
legs leads to more frequent methane emissions.

It's certainly a distinctive smell!

Well they do (or did at any rate) perfume the tunnels. I always felt
that the perfume was probably an even worse smell than whatever it was
they were trying to camouflage.

When I lived there, back in the
1970s, the central car on each train was first-class - I'm not sure when
that was abolished,

It was still the case on my first visit (in 1984) but had vanished by
the time I returned in 1990.
Old July 21st 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Arquati
writes
I think what's required are buses which are out of phase with each
other and so can simultaneously occupy the same position in space and
time.

I've just seen Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkahban. You may be on
to something.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old July 21st 04, 04:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Liney
writes
Although the idea of a double-decker bendy is a non-starter for reasons
others have gone into in this thread there is no reason why a non-bendy
double-decker couldn't have three sets of doors.

Don't some Blackpool trams have four sets of doors and two staircases?

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: