Old July 9th 04, 12:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Decks vs hinges

In message , John Rowland
writes
"Marc Brett" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:49:53 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?

Because the passengers on the top deck
would get barbequed every other month?

You couldn't have a continuous floor upstairs, but I don't see why the front
half and the back half couldn't have self-contained upstairs sections.

I presume that the simple answer is that double-deckers are big,
lumbering and difficult to manoeuvre, bendy-buses are long, bendy and
difficult to manoeuvre, so combining the two would be a recipe for
trouble.
--
Spyke
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. The opinions I express do
Old July 9th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Spyke wrote in message ...
In message , John Rowland
writes
.. .
wrote:

Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?

Because the passengers on the top deck
would get barbequed every other month?

You couldn't have a continuous floor upstairs, but I don't see why the front
half and the back half couldn't have self-contained upstairs sections.

I presume that the simple answer is that double-deckers are big,
lumbering and difficult to manoeuvre, bendy-buses are long, bendy and
difficult to manoeuvre, so combining the two would be a recipe for
trouble.

The Neoplan Jumbocruiser was an double deck articulated coach, which
was available in both 'tractor and trailer' and 'pusher' versions. The
'pusher' version was apparently unstable, which is surprising given
that it's the more common arrangement for bendies these days.

These sites describe the vehicle:
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/neoplan/jumbocruiser.htm
http://jumbocruiser.mysite.wanadoo-m....uk/page7.html

Dominic
Old July 9th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?

The Neoplan Jumbocruiser was an double deck articulated coach, which
was available in both 'tractor and trailer' and 'pusher' versions.

That's more like it! Hunting around a bit, it (when fitted out as a coach
rather than a rock transport) seems to have a capacity of 144 passengers;
that's only 4 more than a Citaro G, but then i assume that since it's a
coach, they're all seated, and seated with a reasonable amount of leg
room. I'd make a SWAG that it could hold at least 50% more if fitted out
as a bus.

Good grief! This appears to have *three* decks:

http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/de/index.php

Although the bit that does is a trailer rather than a real back half, i
think.

tom

--
so if you hear a chaffinch out on the pull attempting a severely off-key version of "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys then you're not actually going mad.

Old July 11th 04, 05:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

wrote:

Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?

The Neoplan Jumbocruiser was an double deck articulated coach, which
was available in both 'tractor and trailer' and 'pusher' versions.

That's more like it! Hunting around a bit, it (when fitted out as a coach
rather than a rock transport) seems to have a capacity of 144 passengers;
that's only 4 more than a Citaro G, but then i assume that since it's a
coach, they're all seated, and seated with a reasonable amount of leg
room. I'd make a SWAG that it could hold at least 50% more if fitted out
as a bus.

Good grief! This appears to have *three* decks:

http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/de/index.php

Although the bit that does is a trailer rather than a real back half, i
think.

I think it depends which photo you look at. Are they all different models?
The one at http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/gale...p?show=3&off=0
seems to be a one-piece (possibly non-bendy) triple decker. The one at
http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/gale...p?show=4&off=0 appears to be
a normal coach/bus with a triple-decker trailer. Is being able to walk
between the halves what makes a bendy bus a bendy bus, rather than a bus and
a trailer? And what's the difference between a bus and a coach?

Old July 11th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alistair McIndoe" wrote in message

I think it depends which photo you look at. Are they all different

models?
The one at http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/gale...p?show=3&off=0
seems to be a one-piece (possibly non-bendy) triple decker. The one at
http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/gale...p?show=4&off=0 appears to

be
a normal coach/bus with a triple-decker trailer. Is being able to walk
between the halves what makes a bendy bus a bendy bus, rather than a bus

and
a trailer? And what's the difference between a bus and a coach?

I think you'll find that the triple-decker arrangement is to allow sleeping
accomodation (horizontally) and there is actually only one deck for normal
seating. These are essentially long-distance tourer/camper coaches
Cheerz,
Baz

Old July 11th 04, 12:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

And what's the difference between a bus and a coach?

http://tinyurl.com/24xj6
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see
Old July 12th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?

The Neoplan Jumbocruiser was an double deck articulated coach, which
was available in both 'tractor and trailer' and 'pusher' versions.

Good grief! This appears to have *three* decks:

http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/de/index.php

Although the bit that does is a trailer rather than a real back half, i
think.

I think it depends which photo you look at. Are they all different models?
The one at http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/gale...p?show=3&off=0
seems to be a one-piece (possibly non-bendy) triple decker. The one at
http://www.rotel.de/rotel-tours/gale...p?show=4&off=0 appears to be
a normal coach/bus with a triple-decker trailer.

Quite true. Sadly, as has been pointed out elsewhere, the decks in the
triple bit are only big enough for supine people (or midgets), and so
don't really count.

Is being able to walk between the halves what makes a bendy bus a bendy
bus, rather than a bus and a trailer?

Yes, i think so. Or at least substantial physical continuity between the
parts. But then you get into awkward cases like trains which have
logically separate carriages but which are built as a single physical rake
(or set, or whatever it's called).

And what's the difference between a bus and a coach?

To me, it's the seating layout, or rather the intention behind it. Coach
is to bus as A-stock (or mainline train) is to C-stock (or most other
underground trains) - designed for low-density long-haul trips, rather
than the kind of trips you actually make in cities.

tom

--
Georgia New York Los Angeles Vegas Washington Utah

Old July 9th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dominic" wrote in message
om...

The Neoplan Jumbocruiser was an double deck articulated coach

http://www.atlantic-coast.com/neoplan/jumbocruiser.htm
http://jumbocruiser.mysite.wanadoo-m....uk/page7.html

A brief look through didn't tell me whether the upper deck is in one or two
parts.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped