London Banter

-   -   Changing railstation names (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1950-changing-railstation-names.html)

Al July 12th 04 04:16 PM

Changing railstation names

Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC ground, it
occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant rail stations. I
humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?
--
Al

Andrew P Smith July 12th 04 05:58 PM

Changing railstation names

In article , Al
writes
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC ground, it
occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant rail stations. I
humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

How about just 'Arse'???
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this

Piccadilly Pilot July 12th 04 07:06 PM

Al wrote:
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant
rail stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

What's wrong with Arsenal reverting to its original name, "Gillespie Road"?

Nigel July 12th 04 07:48 PM

"Al" wrote in message
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC ground,

it
occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant rail stations. I
humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?
--
Al

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit misleading,
people might thing they can catch a trian there

Al July 12th 04 08:21 PM

M J Forbes wrote:

"Al" wrote in message
If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

Perhaps to any supporters of the most whinging football club in history
(who aren't from Islington anyway), then perhaps your idea may be of
interest.

You are right that Tottenham Hotspur is both the most whinging football club
in history (as well as the sicknotiest) and that they are not from
Islington at all. But I can only imagine you believe they'd be interested
in my idea is because -- let's face it -- vicarious interest in successes
at Arsenal is the nearest they can get.
--
Al

Al July 12th 04 08:26 PM

Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

Al wrote:
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant
rail stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

What's wrong with Arsenal reverting to its original name, "Gillespie
Road"?

Too many syllables for visiting Spurs fans.
--
Al

M J Forbes July 12th 04 08:43 PM

"Al" wrote in message
If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

Perhaps to any supporters of the most whinging football club in history (who
aren't from Islington anyway), then perhaps your idea may be of interest.
To the rest of the civilised universe, that can handle borough names with
more than 2 syllables, I think the answer is a resounding "no".

Piccadilly Pilot July 12th 04 08:55 PM

Nigel wrote:
"Al" wrote in message
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant
rail stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?
--
Al

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit misleading,
people might thing they can catch a trian there

What else does one catch apart from a train (excluding anything unpleasent
such as diseases etc)?

Paul July 12th 04 09:04 PM

Al wrote:
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC ground, it
occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant rail stations. I
humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"

The most easterly of the three stations. And it's not on Plimsoll Road.

"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

being the most westerly of the three stations.

Is it your intention that no one finds the new stadium?

John Rowland July 12th 04 09:11 PM

"Al" wrote in message
Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

What's wrong with Arsenal reverting to its
original name, "Gillespie Road"?

Too many syllables for visiting Spurs fans.

But it's only 6 letters in Hebrew.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Tom Anderson July 12th 04 09:24 PM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Nigel wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant rail
stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit misleading,
people might thing they can catch a trian there

They'd only think that if you called it a rialway station.

HTH.

tom

--
Georgia New York Los Angeles Vegas Washington Utah

Tom Anderson July 12th 04 09:25 PM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Paul wrote:

Al wrote:

Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant rail
stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.

You see, on the face of it, sounds like madness, but ...

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"

The most easterly of the three stations. And it's not on Plimsoll Road.

"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

being the most westerly of the three stations.

Is it your intention that no one finds the new stadium?

Ahaaaaa! Makes sense now. LIKE YER SHTYLE, AL!

tom

--
Georgia New York Los Angeles Vegas Washington Utah

bertie July 12th 04 09:36 PM

Changing railstation names

What about the original Woolwich Arsenal station, it's still there , not
like the football team that moved North of the river.Really a sarf London
team guv,he sed.Not forgetting the Royal Ordnance factory where it all
started many moons ago in Plumstead.SE 18. Just food for thought.Pip pip
all.

James Farrar July 13th 04 09:18 AM

"M J Forbes" wrote:

"Al" wrote in message
If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

Perhaps to any supporters of the most whinging football club in history

What does Manchester United have to do with anything?

--
James Farrar |
London, SE13 |

John of Aix July 13th 04 10:00 AM

Changing railstation names

"bertie" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...
What about the original Woolwich Arsenal station, it's still there ,

not
like the football team that moved North of the river.Really a sarf

London
team guv,he sed.Not forgetting the Royal Ordnance factory where it all
started many moons ago in Plumstead.SE 18. Just food for thought.Pip

pip
all.

Indeed, I wonder how many present day Arsenal fans know that, or
Londoners generally. I still can't work out which bit of the Far East
Leyton Orient came from though. It's either Katmandu or Klapton.

John of Aix July 13th 04 10:01 AM

"Al" wrote in message

Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant

rail
stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit

misleading,
people might thing they can catch a trian there

They'd only think that if you called it a rialway station.

Choc-à-bloc with Omanis and Yemenis seeking their fortune?

Brian Watson July 13th 04 11:03 AM

"Al" wrote in message
Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

Al wrote:
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant
rail stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

What's wrong with Arsenal reverting to its original name, "Gillespie
Road"?

Too many syllables for visiting Spurs fans.

OK, Arse it is then.

--
Brian

Nigel July 13th 04 02:58 PM

Changing railstation names

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit misleading,
people might thing they can catch a trian there

They'd only think that if you called it a rialway station.

:-) took me a while to work that one out, but then I'm easily confuesd.

Nigel July 13th 04 03:00 PM

Changing railstation names

What's wrong with Arsenal reverting to its original name, "Gillespie
Road"?

Too many syllables for visiting Spurs fans.

OK, Arse it is then.

How about
"Welcome to Arse...Home of French football"

the bloke next door July 13th 04 03:35 PM

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"Al" wrote in message
Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

What's wrong with Arsenal reverting to its
original name, "Gillespie Road"?

Too many syllables for visiting Spurs fans.

But it's only 6 letters in Hebrew.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped
-----------------------------------
How about calling it Clock End Station.

Ancient One July 13th 04 09:52 PM

Nigel wrote:
"Al" wrote in message
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant
rail stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.

"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".

If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?
--
Al

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit misleading,
people might thing they can catch a trian there

What else does one catch apart from a train (excluding anything

unpleasent
such as diseases etc)?

I was about to point that out myself, seeing as I was with the art. before
joining the RMA.

Now if they were still there today, would there have been a Charlton?

AO
Millwall supporter

bertie July 13th 04 10:54 PM

Changing railstation names

I would imagine so. Competion is no bad thing.As an afterthought,I wonder
if there are any London based clubs that are still in the same ground as
they were when they first formed.I know that Millwall FC were started by a
group of Scottish mill workers in the
Westferry road area of Poplar,East London.(according to the murals on the
walls of the old Cold Blow lane ground) .I doubt that they were saved, or
does anyone know differently? and if so,where are they now?. Incidentally, I
am a Charlton FC supporter, have been since I was born in 1933,mum and dad
took me to the games as a babe in arms when it was the old Valley,a
wonderful natural ground.Pip pip all.

Ancient One July 14th 04 12:12 AM

Changing railstation names

My dad was signalman at Charlton Lane and at Charlton station for many a
year from 1965 onwards to around 1975.

He's one as is my bro who went out on the beer with Jim Davidson wholly
because at the filming of Big Break in Bournemouth where he lives, Jim
shouts out "any charlton supporters in here?" and instead of the usual
resulting silence, my bro answered and got a night out with Jimbo.

Worse still, like Rodney Trotter in OFAH, my dad gave me the "middle" name,
that caused me no end of grief when getting the season ticket at the Den....

AO

Al July 14th 04 07:55 AM

Ancient One wrote:

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit
misleading, people might thing they can catch a trian there

What else does one catch apart from a train (excluding anything

unpleasent
such as diseases etc)?

I was about to point that out myself, seeing as I was with the art. before
joining the RMA.

One can catch a bus, catch a movie or catch the redeye. One can catch a
doorlock, catch a little fishy for a little dishy, and catch some zzzzzs.
--
Al

Dave Newt July 14th 04 06:30 PM

Al wrote:

Ancient One wrote:

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit
misleading, people might thing they can catch a trian there

What else does one catch apart from a train (excluding anything

unpleasent

such as diseases etc)?

I was about to point that out myself, seeing as I was with the art. before
joining the RMA.

One can catch a bus, catch a movie or catch the redeye. One can catch a
doorlock, catch a little fishy for a little dishy, and catch some zzzzzs.

and Duncan Norvelle.

David Splett July 14th 04 07:08 PM

"Al" wrote in message
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC ground,
it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant rail stations.
I humbly suggest changing their names.
"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".
If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of us don't
care in the slightest about football.

Al July 14th 04 07:30 PM

David Splett wrote:

"Al" wrote in message
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC ground,
it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant rail stations.
I humbly suggest changing their names.
"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".
If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the LB
Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be okay?

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of us don't
care in the slightest about football.

Feel free to have your local station renamed 'Hairy Palms' then.
--
Al

John of Aix July 14th 04 07:50 PM

"David Splett" a écrit dans le message de news:

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of us

don't
care in the slightest about football.

You're some sort of bleedin' alien ain't ya?

Annabel Smyth July 14th 04 08:12 PM

Changing railstation names

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 at 21:50:54, John of Aix
wrote:

"David Splett" a écrit dans le message de news:

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of us

don't
care in the slightest about football.

You're some sort of bleedin' alien ain't ya?

Surely he is the normal one?
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004

Richard J. July 14th 04 10:28 PM

David Splett wrote:
"Al" wrote in message
Having wandered about Ashburton Grove, site of the new Arsenal FC
ground, it occured to me that there are three roughly equidistant
rail stations. I humbly suggest changing their names.
"Arsenal" on Plimsoll Road (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal West"
"Drayton Park" could become "Arsenal Central" and
"Holloway Road" (Piccadilly) could become "Arsenal East".
If this can be arranged, I'd further like to suggest changing the
LB Islington's name to "London Borough of Arsenal". Would that be
okay?

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of
us don't care in the slightest about football.

Because it's better known than Gillespie Road.

Do you feel the same way about cricket? If so, what alternative but
distinctive name would you therefore propose for Oval?

[Crossposting trimmed]
--
Richard J.

Piccadilly Pilot July 14th 04 11:24 PM

Al wrote:
Ancient One wrote:

They should drop the "railway station" bit.... it's a bit
misleading, people might thing they can catch a trian there

What else does one catch apart from a train (excluding anything
unpleasent such as diseases etc)?

I was about to point that out myself, seeing as I was with the art.
before joining the RMA.

One can catch a bus, catch a movie or catch the redeye. One can catch
a doorlock, catch a little fishy for a little dishy, and catch some
zzzzzs.

Very true, but not at a railway station which is what is being talked about
here.

Piccadilly Pilot July 14th 04 11:29 PM

John of Aix wrote:
"David Splett" a écrit dans le message de news:

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of us
don't care in the slightest about football.

You're some sort of bleedin' alien ain't ya?

There are a great many people to whom football is of no interest at all. In
fact there are some people who positively detest it. Still others think it
is a pastime for those of low intellect sine it requires no intelligence to
follow. Your team scores, you shout "Hooray" (or whatever). The opposing
team scores you shout "Boo" (or whatever).

However, each to his own, If that is how some people choose to spend their
time then good for them. Just don't inflict it on me.

Roland Perry July 15th 04 05:45 AM

Changing railstation names

In message , Richard J.
writes
Do you feel the same way about cricket? If so, what alternative but
distinctive name would you therefore propose for Oval?

"Kennington Oval", as it's the name of the road there. Perhaps shortened
to "Oval"....

You wouldn't want to suggest renaming "Trent Bridge" (in Nottingham) on
all the bus timetables, just because there's a cricket ground nearby,
would you?

Ian Tindale July 15th 04 07:18 AM

Changing railstation names

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes
Do you feel the same way about cricket? If so, what alternative but
distinctive name would you therefore propose for Oval?

"Kennington Oval", as it's the name of the road there. Perhaps shortened
to "Oval"....

You wouldn't want to suggest renaming "Trent Bridge" (in Nottingham) on
all the bus timetables, just because there's a cricket ground nearby,
would you?

In that case, Upton Park station should be renamed West Ham. That'll
alleviate any confusion.
--
Ian Tindale

John of Aix July 15th 04 07:32 AM

Changing railstation names

news: ...
wrote:

"David Splett" a écrit dans le message de news:

Why do we have to have any stations named after Arsenal? Some of

us
don't
care in the slightest about football.

You're some sort of bleedin' alien ain't ya?

Surely he is the normal one?

Wot? Don't be daft. You'll be tellin' me 'e don't watch Big Bruvver
next.

John of Aix July 15th 04 07:36 AM

Changing railstation names

"Piccadilly Pilot" a écrit dans le message
de news: ...

There are a great many people to whom football is of no interest at

all. In
fact there are some people who positively detest it. Still others

think it
is a pastime for those of low intellect sine it requires no

intelligence to
follow. Your team scores, you shout "Hooray" (or whatever). The

opposing
team scores you shout "Boo" (or whatever).

However, each to his own, If that is how some people choose to spend

their
time then good for them. Just don't inflict it on me.

Of course and while personally I like football I think there is far too
much sport on TV and far too much importance given to sport. But one
could say that about a lot of things; politics, pop music, journalism,
99% of TV shows, but who decides? Only the public in the end, they take
it or leave it.

Ian Tindale July 15th 04 08:18 AM

Piccadilly Pilot wrote:

There are a great many people to whom football is of no interest at all.
In fact there are some people who positively detest it. Still others think
it is a pastime for those of low intellect sine it requires no
intelligence to follow. Your team scores, you shout "Hooray" (or
whatever). The opposing team scores you shout "Boo" (or whatever)

Sport in general is ridiculous and should be banned.

Civilisation pays certain people huge amounts of money to make a ball be in
different places on a green oblong.

While there are people starving, etc,
--
Ian Tindale

Roland Perry July 15th 04 09:04 AM

Changing railstation names

In message , Ian Tindale
writes
You wouldn't want to suggest renaming "Trent Bridge" (in Nottingham) on
all the bus timetables, just because there's a cricket ground nearby,
would you?

In that case, Upton Park station should be renamed West Ham. That'll
alleviate any confusion.

Oddly enough there's a bridge over the river Trent called Trent Bridge;
however the nearest patch of open space in West Ham is called Priory
Park. There's already a West Ham station further to the west, and East
Ham to the east. "East Ham West" seems a bit of a mouthful... how about
"East Plaistow"?