Old July 16th 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Chiltern platform extensions

Chiltern are extending platforms at Princes Risborough, High Wycombe,
Beaconsfield, Gerrard Cross and Wembley Stadium starting this week at
Princes Risborough.

See:
http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/pa...=168&news=true

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old July 16th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

See:
http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/pa...=168&news=true

Shouldn't it say 'longer' trains rather than larger trains?
.... or are they larger or bigger or rounder?

Burkey
Old July 16th 04, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"JWBA68" wrote in message
See:
http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/pa...=168&news=true

Shouldn't it say 'longer' trains rather than larger trains?
... or are they larger or bigger or rounder?
Burkey

Engage pedant mode. If they're longer then, unless their cross-sectional
area has been reduced, they must be larger. Not the best word to use but
cheerz,
Baz

Old July 17th 04, 01:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...
Chiltern are extending platforms at Princes Risborough, High Wycombe,
Beaconsfield, Gerrard Cross and Wembley Stadium starting this week at
Princes Risborough.

See:
http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/pa...=168&news=true

There's work that looks a bit like platform lengthening at Gerrards
Cross at the moment. Started early, or different work?
Old July 17th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

dtren wrote:

Dave Arquati wrote in message
Chiltern are extending platforms at Princes Risborough, High Wycombe,
Beaconsfield, Gerrard Cross and Wembley Stadium starting this week at
Princes Risborough.

See:
http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/pa...=168&news=true

There's work that looks a bit like platform lengthening at Gerrards
Cross at the moment. Started early, or different work?

The work for the Tesco store has been going on for months,

--
I Killfile EVERYBODY who top posts without very good reason.

Old July 17th 04, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:35:19 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

Chiltern are extending platforms at Princes Risborough, High Wycombe,
Beaconsfield, Gerrard Cross and Wembley Stadium starting this week at
Princes Risborough.

At Gerrards Cross that will be the Up platform. When the station was
remodelled in the 1980s a new Up platform was built on the formation
of the old Up through line. The old Up platform was 8 car's length
and more, and was often used by 2 x 4-car 115 sets. Then BR moved
some Driving Trailer Composites from the Lake District area (105s?)
and made up 2-car sets with a 115 Driving Motor Standard, and that was
the end of 8 car trains, even in rush hour. So the new platform, with
the usual short-sighted vision of BR was made just long enough for the
6 car sets.
Another poster has referred to the Tesco development which has been
on-going for several months now. For those who have not spotted this
development, and I have seen not a mention of it in MR, a tunnel is
being created in the deep cutting at GX so that a Tesco (totally
unwanted by GX residents) can be built on top. There were many delays
in starting the project, some caused by a re-design to make the tunnel
4 track width, just in case Central Railway comes this way! If it
does, all the remodelling of the station in the 1980s will have to
undone including the new platform extension.
The tunnel development is an interesting piece of civil engineering on
quite a considerable scale, including the creation of a new siding for
stone trains (extension of a turn-back siding used by Chiltern) and a
conveyor belt to shift the scantlings.
I have a lot of photos of the work and might put them up on a web
site, but I am no expert in that technology, so it won't be an all
singing and dancing affair..

Guy Gorton
Old July 17th 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Guy Gorton wrote:
[..]
Another poster has referred to the Tesco development which has been
on-going for several months now. For those who have not spotted
this development, and I have seen not a mention of it in MR, a
tunnel is being created in the deep cutting at GX so that a Tesco
(totally unwanted by GX residents) can be built on top.

But despite being "totally unwanted", presumably Tesco, who know about
such things, have established a market need, and the local authority
have granted planning permission?

I have a lot of photos of the work and might put them up on a web
site, but I am no expert in that technology,

Not sure if you mean expertise in scanning conventional prints or
expertise in constructing a web site. If you mean the latter, try one
of the free photo sites such as www.fotopic.net . No expertise is
needed.
--
Richard J.

Old July 17th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Joe Joe is offline

the attice of the hoods wrote:
what ever happened to chilton plans to run trains north of Aylesbury.? is
this still one of their plans

They could at least extend a service to Fairford Leys, surely that'd
cost about £1mll+ though
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see
Old July 17th 04, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:00:26 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Guy Gorton wrote:
[..]
Another poster has referred to the Tesco development which has been
on-going for several months now. For those who have not spotted
this development, and I have seen not a mention of it in MR, a
tunnel is being created in the deep cutting at GX so that a Tesco
(totally unwanted by GX residents) can be built on top.

But despite being "totally unwanted", presumably Tesco, who know about
such things, have established a market need, and the local authority
have granted planning permission?

Sorry - my parenthetical remark was OT, but having made it, I will
defend it.
Local authority refused planning permission, on appeal the inspector
recommended upholding the local authority's decision, Prescott
over-ruled the inspector. As to market need, Tesco are probably right
but by drawing on a much wider area than Gerrards Cross, thus giving
GX all the traffic when it is up and running, 2 years of chaos during
construction, plus the loss of a pleasant open wooded space in the
centre of the community. It will utterly change the environment in GX
and not for the better.

I have a lot of photos of the work and might put them up on a web
site, but I am no expert in that technology,

Not sure if you mean expertise in scanning conventional prints or
expertise in constructing a web site. If you mean the latter, try one
of the free photo sites such as www.fotopic.net . No expertise is
needed.

I can scan slides and negs fairly competently and have some digital
pictures. I will have a look at the fotopic idea.

Guy Gorton