Old November 17th 03, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default East London Line Extensions

When will the extension(s) appear on the tube map? Or will they appear
at all?

On a similar vein, does anyone have any information on plans to include
high-frequency National Rail routes on the standard Tube map? (I know
about the Overground Network pilot project).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 18th 03, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...
When will the extension(s) appear on the tube map? Or will they appear
at all?

On a similar vein, does anyone have any information on plans to include
high-frequency National Rail routes on the standard Tube map? (I know
about the Overground Network pilot project).

I suspect it'll appear initially when all the tub thumping is underway, then
when LU and everyone else actually stand up and admit that all they've created
is yet another suburban 3rd rail route with the associated lousy service it'll
no longer be called the ELL and will disappear of tube maps never to be seen
again, a bit like the drayton park - moorgate line. My personal prediction
(and I stand to be proved completely wrong) is that this line will not be
nearly as popular as those in power seem to think it will be. The only real use
it will have is as a commuter route to interchange with the jubilee line for
docklands , I doubt even a small percentage will use it for cross town travel.
I can think of FAR better schemes to have spent money on than this.

B2003
Old November 18th 03, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Boltar ),
in message who said:
[...]

I would tend to agree.

It seems to be an attempt to join up little bits of existing infrastructure,
just so LU can say 'Hey, look, we've built a whole new long line'. No you
haven't.

The decision not to include a Central Line interchange was a major mistake,
as this would at least give people an additional reason for using it.

As it is, getting into the centre from the southern end will take a lot
longer than using a mainline service, so the demand simply isn't going to be
there.

Woohoo. Croydon to Whitechapel in 40 minutes, then change onto a lethargic
District service into the City. Can't see it proving too popular, somehow.

BTN

Old November 18th 03, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

in message who said:

[...]

I don't think anyone is claiming that that's the idea. The idea is to
provide an ability to perform orbital journeys - so of course they're
not looking at Croydon to the City via Whitechapel! Croydon to Canary
Wharf or Stratford via Canada Water on the other hand is much better and
cheaper than changing at London Bridge, and reduces pressure on central
area termini. In fact for many journeys it will be possible to avoid
Zone 1 - which makes it cheaper for the passenger and stops journeys
unnecessarily going through Zone 1.

Another point of the project is that it does not involve vast amounts of
money - a connection over disused track at either end links a backwater
line into the main networks and allows a multitude of journey
opportunities for relatively low cost.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 18th 03, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJC CJC is offline

in message who said:

[...]

I thought the ELL was going to become part of NR and was planned as a
new freight route as well. I'd guess they'll keep it on the tube map
like they have the NLL on.

Old November 18th 03, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

in message who said:

[...]

It's set to become part of a new Orbirail franchise, along with the NLL,
WLL and Goblin AFAIK. I'm not sure whether they have plans to use it for
freight - I'd guess they'd want to limit freight since it can easily
disrupt passenger services, and the frequency on the core section will
be increased once the extensions are running.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 19th 03, 12:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote the following in:

CJC wrote:
I thought the ELL was going to become part of NR and was planned
as a new freight route as well. I'd guess they'll keep it on the
tube map like they have the NLL on.

It's set to become part of a new Orbirail franchise, along with
the NLL, WLL and Goblin AFAIK. I'm not sure whether they have
plans to use it for freight - I'd guess they'd want to limit
freight since it can easily disrupt passenger services, and the
frequency on the core section will be increased once the
extensions are running.

Is there any plan to increase train frequencies on the NLL? It's true
that it doesn't have all that many passengers, but I think that's
partly because you can't just turn up and go. There's only 2 or 4
trains an hour and they're often delayed. I'd probably use it more
often if I could rely on getting a train without having to wait for
ages.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!
Old November 19th 03, 08:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May writes:

Dave Arquati wrote the following in:

Is there any plan to increase train frequencies on the NLL? It's true
that it doesn't have all that many passengers, but I think that's
partly because you can't just turn up and go.

And partly that there are very few useful interchanges.
Old November 19th 03, 08:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote in message ...
I don't think anyone is claiming that that's the idea. The idea is to
provide an ability to perform orbital journeys - so of course they're
not looking at Croydon to the City via Whitechapel! Croydon to Canary
Wharf or Stratford via Canada Water on the other hand is much better and
cheaper than changing at London Bridge, and reduces pressure on central
area termini. In fact for many journeys it will be possible to avoid
Zone 1 - which makes it cheaper for the passenger and stops journeys
unnecessarily going through Zone 1.

But how many people will want to do that? Yes ok you'll get a few but
enough to justify the money spent? I doubt it. Far cheaper I would have
thought would have simply been to make the current ELL more usable by having
through trains from the main met line so making the ELL far more useful to the
people in the new cross area that a line to finsbury park will ever be (yes
I know there are issues with St Marys Curve but its hardly a show stopper).

I suspect the real reason LU is happy to divest itself of the ELL is cost
cutting. I very much doubt the line makes anything close to a profit at the
moment given how much it costs to maintain the tunnels and getting shot of it
will make the books look much rosier. Call me a cynic if you will....

B2003
Old November 19th 03, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

. 1.4...

CJC wrote:
[...]

The short trains of 3 cars are extremely overloaded during peak hours.

As well as improving capacity and frequency, the stations need a major
redecoration to reduce their repulsiveness.