Old July 21st 04, 07:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Default Can Someone Please Explain this picture?

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/...-Metrolink.jpg

From the title I presume it is about a Metrolink somewhere (Manchester?)
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For railway information, news and photos see

Old July 21st 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"M J Forbes" wrote in message news

"Joe" wrote in message
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/...-Metrolink.jpg

From the title I presume it is about a Metrolink somewhere (Manchester?)

IIRC, one of the original P86 units (illustrated) was sent to Manchester to
demonstrate an example of a light rail system. Whether this bit of track
ever formed part of what is now Metrolink, or it was purely a test track
which has since been removed or mothballed, I don't know.

Hope this helps

It ran on a part of the (now closed) line between Fairfield and Chorlton Cum Hardy, which was electrified as far as
Reddish loco depot (where the 76's and 77's were once allocated). There were short demonstration public rides at Debdale
Park, where the line crossed the A57 Hyde Road (and near the site of Hyde Road station), to show the public a modern
tramway vehicle. I assume the overhead line voltage was reduced from the former 1500 volts DC at this location.

Bevan

Old July 21st 04, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Bevan Price wrote:
It ran on a part of the (now closed) line between Fairfield and Chorlton Cum Hardy, which was electrified as far as
Reddish loco depot (where the 76's and 77's were once allocated). There were short demonstration public rides at Debdale
Park, where the line crossed the A57 Hyde Road (and near the site of Hyde Road station), to show the public a modern
tramway vehicle. I assume the overhead line voltage was reduced from the former 1500 volts DC at this location.

Thanks very much, Both of You.

Old July 21st 04, 09:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Bevan Price" wrote in message
"M J Forbes" wrote in message

news
"Joe" wrote in message

http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/...-Metrolink.jpg

IIRC, one of the original P86 units (illustrated) was sent
to Manchester to demonstrate an example of a light rail system.

It ran on a part of the (now closed) line between Fairfield and
Chorlton Cum Hardy, which was electrified as far as Reddish
loco depot (where the 76's and 77's were once allocated).

[That's on the south side of Manchester.]

I believe it was also in Heaton Park on the north side of Manchester for a
while. I think it was just running around in a circle in the park.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped