Old February 23rd 06, 07:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Can you identify this tube station from this arty picture

A Canadian posts the following picture he

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/archives...222_1471.shtml

with the caption:

"a metro station in london, england. unfortunately I don't remember
the name of the station."

And surprisingly none of the copmmenters so far have identified it.

OK, there are not many clues to go on, but I thought someone here might
have an idea. Vague suggestions so far have been Stamford Brook,
Turnham Green, Ravenscourt Park, the "District and Circle line" or
"Picadilly line".

Have fun,

Jonathan

Old February 23rd 06, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london
THC THC is offline

I think it's Richmond (or possibly Wimbledon). The platform build
looks LSWR/Southern Region to me and then there's the matter of the
trainstop lights which you wouldn't get at a through station.

THC

Old February 23rd 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com,
Chailey writes

A Canadian posts the following picture he

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/archives...222_1471.shtml

with the caption:

"a metro station in london, england. unfortunately I don't remember
the name of the station."

And surprisingly none of the copmmenters so far have identified it.

Without a doubt, it is the District line terminus at Wimbledon. Compare
the wall features at the back of the photo with the following:

http://ktransit.com/transit/unitedki...district01.jpg

--
Paul Terry

Old February 23rd 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Its not Wimbledon, the trainstops are the wrong way round. From the
perspective of them it looks like there are three lines as well,
Wimbledon only has two.

Neill

Old February 23rd 06, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Neillw001 wrote:
Its not Wimbledon, the trainstops are the wrong way round. From the
perspective of them it looks like there are three lines as well,
Wimbledon only has two.

There are four Underground tracks at Wimbledon. If you are stood on
one platform looking perpendicular to the tracks, you can only see
three at any one time.

(buffers to left)

I--------------------------- track
================ platforms 1/2
I--------------------------- track
I--------------------------- track
================ platforms 3/4
I--------------------------- track

PhilD

Old February 23rd 06, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Paul Terry wrote:
In message .com,
Chailey writes

A Canadian posts the following picture he

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/archives...222_1471.shtml

with the caption:

"a metro station in london, england. unfortunately I don't remember
the name of the station."

And surprisingly none of the copmmenters so far have identified it.

Without a doubt, it is the District line terminus at Wimbledon. Compare
the wall features at the back of the photo with the following:

http://ktransit.com/transit/unitedki...district01.jpg

--
Paul Terry

But where's that shelter and its pillars? Although otherwise it does
look the same though, and I'm sure there's a shelter at Richmond
anyway.

What's that at the top that looks like a bridge? And why is it just
blank white above it? Is it maybe a trick composite?

Old February 23rd 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The wall looks the same, the smaller graffiti just above the far
trainstop looks similar and the yellow staining on the wall behind
matches up.
There should be at least one canopy support in shot though, just about
where the vending machine object is. The girder at the top of the
picture doesn't match the Wimbledon picture at all either.

Neill

Old February 23rd 06, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, MIG
writes

But where's that shelter and its pillars?

The canopy is above the two elderly people - the dark brown bit is the
inside of the canopy, behind the couple, while the white bit above that
is the side of the canopy facing the photographer. The pillars would be
immediately to the left and right of the image, just off camera
(although it may be that on the left side the canopy attaches to the
station building - it certainly does at some point).

What's that at the top that looks like a bridge? And why is it just
blank white above it?

As above - its just the canopy.

The two shots look different because of the foreshortening effect - this
is very pronounced in the shot with the train, because it is almost head
on. This makes the pillars look much closer than they really are.

The perspective effect can be seen by comparing the wall in the two
photos. In the train photo it is fairly clear that the concrete lower
half is surmounted by a handrail - there is a walkway there, with a
brickwall behind it. In the elderly-couple photo, there is no sense of
distance perspective - it looks more as if the brick wall is built
directly on top of the concrete portion.

In addition to the points mentioned by Neill, look at the long pipe
behind the couple, that gently slopes up from left to right, and then
disappears at the right-most trainstop. This is the same pipe that you
can see sloping up (and then dropping down) to the left of the train in
the other photo.
--
Paul Terry