Old August 20th 04, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Efficient Terminal Layouts (was Diesel Electric Trains onCrossRail)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Spyke wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes

ISTR that the LU policy of checking the train before reversing is
not because it's not safe for the passengers to be carried into the
sidings, but because they have a tendency to panic and do stupid
things. This was after the incident at Liverpool Street where a guy
missed his stop and got carried into the reversing siding, but
instead of simply waiting for the train to reverse and deposit him
back at the platform, he went running through the train, slipped
while trying to cross between carriages and got dragged underneath
the train to his death.

Exactly. "Doing stupid things" in obviously hazardous situations is one
reason why slam-door trains will be withdrawn in 2004/5 ... except of
course for LU's entire fleet! (Slam doors at the end of each car)

What would it take to fit Central Door Locking to the connecting doors
on LU's fleet, such that the doors automatically lock when the train is
moving. Many slam-door coaches on the continent have this feature
(though most are set to lock when the speed reaches 5mph, which is
probably too high for LU).

Retrofitting might well be very hard. If we're talking about fitting this
to new trains, then a better solution, i reckon, would be to go for
continuous cars, like the Space Train proposed for the Victoria line.

tom

--
If I want consciousness expansion, i go to my local tabernacle and i SING!

Old August 20th 04, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 20 Aug 2004:

Retrofitting might well be very hard. If we're talking about fitting this
to new trains, then a better solution, i reckon, would be to go for
continuous cars, like the Space Train proposed for the Victoria line.

Which most modern metro systems have, anyway (oddly enough, not Warsaw).
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 20th 04, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Annabel Smyth wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote to uk.transport.london on Fri, 20 Aug 2004:

Retrofitting might well be very hard. If we're talking about fitting this
to new trains, then a better solution, i reckon, would be to go for
continuous cars, like the Space Train proposed for the Victoria line.

Which most modern metro systems have, anyway (oddly enough, not Warsaw).

The Space Train plan has been scrapped for the Victoria Line. However it
appears to be the plan for the new subsurface stock.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 26th 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Efficient Terminal Layouts (was Diesel Electric Trains on

In article , (Dave Arquati)
wrote:

The Space Train plan has been scrapped for the Victoria Line.

Do you know why? Is it related to the inter-car connection aspect or
something else? Will they have slam doors between cars allowing access to
the track?

--
Colin Rosenstiel