Old August 15th 04, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default High Street Kensington Station

"John Rowland" typed

"David Boothroyd" wrote in message

The Metropolitan Board of Works (1855-1889)
had begun the work of renaming streets to remove
duplicates and stop people getting post intended for
the occupant of the same property on a different street
of the same name. It changed 3,000 names in its time.
The LCC had to be prodded by the Post Office to
continue it, and by 1935 it had changed 2,700 names.
At this point it began to see light at the end of the tunnel
and took a policy decision that there were to be no
duplicated names at all.

Thanks. I've seen a lot of street signs in North London that say something
like "Smith St N" instead of "Smith St N1". Do these signs date from an
interim period where names were unique to each sector but not to the whole
county? If not, what was the point of them?

Incidentally are there only two streets in
London which have fractional numbers in them?
(Balls Pond Road and London Wall)

I think there's one in Barnard Hill, N10. Also, The Vale in Childs Hill has
a number 0.

pedant I'd say that end of The Vale was in Golders Green. House has
'zero' in large letters outside it.

Incidentally, in HA5 there are two Pinner Roads, one at each end of the
area. Are there any other duplicated roads within a single postcode area
(not including cases where a single road has become split)?

Locally to me, but NOT in the same postcode area, are Bacon Lane,
Edgware and Bacon Lane Kingsbury. They are less than two miles apart.
They would have been in Middlesex until quite recently.

Edgware and Edgware Road cause much local confusion too. Was on 142 bus
at Edgware on Friday whe poor Arab lass wanted Judd Street, whic isn't
even close to Marble Arch.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old August 15th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:03:37 +0200, "Alan \(in Brussels\)"
wrote:

One solution would be to adopt the 'army' practice of putting the generic
name first : eg 'brush, hair' followed by 'brush, paint' ; so that a list of
station names would have eg Acton followed by Central, East, North, South,
Town and West, regardless of the presentation on station nameboards. Or
would that only compound the confusion?

Which is fine until there is a cock-up involving orders for hangars,
coat and hangars, aircraft :-)

On parts of the Continent mainline stations within a town are called
town identifier, so we might have, say, London Victoria, London
Clapham Junction, etc, which can sometimes be slightly confusing for
visitors.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 15th 04, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 Aug 2004:

Thanks. I've seen a lot of street signs in North London that say something
like "Smith St N" instead of "Smith St N1". Do these signs date from an
interim period where names were unique to each sector but not to the whole
county? If not, what was the point of them?

I think these signs date from when London was divided up into N, NW, SE,
SW, etc, without numbers. Then they subdivided it: N1, SW2 etc, and
now, of course, it is divided up even further into postcodes. No dates
for either, sorry! Although postcodes, I know, came in during the
1960s.
--
Annabel - "Mrs Redboots"
(trying out a new .sig to reflect the personality I use in online forums)

Old August 15th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 15 Aug 2004:

Which is fine until there is a cock-up involving orders for hangars,
coat and hangars, aircraft :-)

There wouldn't be if "hangers, coat" were spelt correctly!

On parts of the Continent mainline stations within a town are called
town identifier, so we might have, say, London Victoria, London
Clapham Junction, etc, which can sometimes be slightly confusing for
visitors.

Well, we do have London Victoria, London Waterloo, etc. Clapham
Junction, oddly, is "Not London", or so it is marked on tickets.

Old August 15th 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Alan (in Brussels) wrote:

IMHO the basic problem is that general English usage requires any
additional word(s) specifying which of various options applies to
precede the generic name (IOW: we say eg 'East Acton' rather than
'Acton East')

But we have Dagenham East, Hounslow West, Bromley South, Penge East, ...

I wonder whether the "East Acton" form is used where such a district
already existed, and the "Bromley South" form was a new term invented by
the railway. But where one such station exists, others with the same
town name seem to adopt the same order. Are there in fact any places
with both forms in use at different stations, e.g. (fictitious example)
Surbiton South and West Surbiton ?
--
Richard J.

Old August 15th 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Alan (in Brussels) wrote:

IMHO the basic problem is that general English usage requires any
additional word(s) specifying which of various options applies to
precede the generic name (IOW: we say eg 'East Acton' rather than
'Acton East')

But we have Dagenham East, Hounslow West, Bromley South, Penge East,

I wonder whether the "East Acton" form is used where such a district
already existed, and the "Bromley South" form was a new term invented
by the railway. But where one such station exists, others with the
same town name seem to adopt the same order. Are there in fact any
places with both forms in use at different stations, e.g. (fictitious
example) Surbiton South and West Surbiton ?

Acton Town & Acton Central plus North, South, East & West Acton (not
forgetting poor little Acton Main Line, just to keep the set complete :-) )

There are also the Ealings; North, South, West, Common and Broadway.

Old August 15th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Piccadilly Pilot wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Alan (in Brussels) wrote:

[...]

North Wembley but Wembley Central, Stadium & Park. East Finchley & West
Finchley, but Finchley Central. (Are there any "Central Something"
stations instead of "Something Central"?)

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old August 15th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 15:54:08 on Sun, 15 Aug
2004, Dave Arquati remarked:
(Are there any "Central Something" stations instead of "Something
Central"?)

Not according to:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/realtime/fs_realtime.htm
Old August 15th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"John Rowland" wrote:
"David Boothroyd" wrote in message

The Metropolitan Board of Works (1855-1889)
had begun the work of renaming streets to remove
duplicates and stop people getting post intended for
the occupant of the same property on a different street
of the same name. It changed 3,000 names in its time.
The LCC had to be prodded by the Post Office to
continue it, and by 1935 it had changed 2,700 names.
At this point it began to see light at the end of the tunnel
and took a policy decision that there were to be no
duplicated names at all.

Thanks. I've seen a lot of street signs in North London that say something
like "Smith St N" instead of "Smith St N1". Do these signs date from an
interim period where names were unique to each sector but not to the whole
county? If not, what was the point of them?

Yes - originally, London was divided by the Post Office into sectors
by compass point in 1858. In 1917 the system was revised and the
North Eastern and Southern sectors abolished while the subdivisions
were created. Of course postal London does not have the same boundaries
as any other incarnation of London administrative boundary.

In this period it was usual for people to give their postcode in the
form eg "Edgware Road, Western".

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"The guilty party was the Liberal Democrats and they were hardened offenders,
Old August 15th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...

Before D stock was introduced on the District, the destination boards on
the front of the old CO/CP stock said just "High Street".

As did the platform tickets.