Old September 8th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default High Street Kensington Station

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"John Rowland" typed

Incidentally are there only two streets in
London which have fractional numbers in them?
(Balls Pond Road and London Wall)

I think there's one in Barnard Hill, N10. Also,
The Vale in Childs Hill has a number 0.

I have just found another fraction: 1 1/2 Southern Road, N2.

Incidentally, i'm noting these down:

http://london.openguides.org/index.c...mbered_Streets

tom

--
Throwin' Lyle's liquor away is like pickin' a fight with a meat packing plant! -- Ray Smuckles

Old September 8th 04, 06:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

Incidentally, i'm noting these down:

http://london.openguides.org/index.c...mbered_Streets

"Numbered down one side, then continued along the other" is a very
common category that often occurred when only one side of a street was
initially developed.

For instance, Avenue Gardens SW14 ...

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...le=5000&icon=x

.... was originally built in 1900 with houses on the west side only,
numbered consecutively 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. There were no houses on the east
side because that was a walled avenue to the cemetery. More than 50
years later this avenue was then built upon and the house numbers on
that side continued in sequence, something like 27, 28, 29 ...

--
Paul Terry
Old September 8th 04, 10:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

Incidentally, i'm noting these down:

http://london.openguides.org/index.c...mbered_Streets

"Numbered down one side, then continued along the other" is a very
common category that often occurred when only one side of a street was
initially developed.

For instance, Avenue Gardens SW14 ...

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...le=5000&icon=x

... was originally built in 1900 with houses on the west side only,
numbered consecutively 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. There were no houses on the east
side because that was a walled avenue to the cemetery. More than 50
years later this avenue was then built upon and the house numbers on
that side continued in sequence, something like 27, 28, 29 ...

As the site admits it was common for less exotic reasons. The street next
to where I was brought up, Carlton Drive, Putney is consecutively
numbered, as is the street I live in in Cambridge.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 9th 04, 11:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Paul Terry wrote:

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

Incidentally, i'm noting these down:

http://london.openguides.org/index.c...mbered_Streets

"Numbered down one side, then continued along the other" is a very
common category

Indeed. In my defence (not that that was an attack!) i'd say that that bit
of the page was added by someone else, to whom such numbering is evidently
a novelty.

tom

--
So the moon is approximately 24 toasters from S****horpe.

Old September 9th 04, 12:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

So where should I say I live, then?
Postally, I'm Stag Lane, Edgware.
Letters I send to the local press, when printed, invariably state 'Stag
Lane, Kingsbury' despite having no reference to Kingsbury in the letter.
I live in the Queensbury ward of the borough of Brent.
My nearest Tube station is Burnt Oak...

Middlesex and damn the lot of them. :-)

Heh. You have the opposite problem to me, as the area I'm in doesn't have a
name to speak of. Postally it's Walworth, but the other side of the Old Kent
Road, two streets away, is Bermondsey. Problem is, if you say Walworth
people think you mean Walworth Road, and if you say Bermondsey people think
you mean up by the river. So you say Old Kent Road, and people ask if you
live in New Cross.

Jonn

Old September 9th 04, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

Incidentally, i'm noting these down:

http://london.openguides.org/index.c...mbered_Streets

"Numbered down one side, then continued along the other"
is a very common category that often occurred when only
one side of a street was initially developed.

Bustrophedic numbering is *the norm* in relatively 20th century cul-de-sacs
which were built in one go. When these cul-de-sacs have been subsequently
extended, the extension has to be given a different street name (Dudley Gdns
/ Fielders Clo HA2 is an example of this). Complex branched cul-de-sacs
always seem to have the lowest number on one side of the sole entrance, the
highest number opposite, and every house one higher and one lower than its
two neighbours (Leigh Hunt Drive in Southgate is an example of this).

I think your page should include a section for "Triskaidekaphobic Streets" -
the only one I've noticed was either Wilsmere Drive or Whitegate Gdns HA3.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old September 10th 04, 04:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
"John Rowland" wrote:

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

[snip]

Bustrophedic numbering is *the norm* in relatively 20th century cul-de-sacs
which were built in one go. When these cul-de-sacs have been subsequently
extended, the extension has to be given a different street name (Dudley Gdns
/ Fielders Clo HA2 is an example of this). Complex branched cul-de-sacs
always seem to have the lowest number on one side of the sole entrance, the
highest number opposite, and every house one higher and one lower than its
two neighbours (Leigh Hunt Drive in Southgate is an example of this).

I think your page should include a section for "Triskaidekaphobic Streets" -
the only one I've noticed was either Wilsmere Drive or Whitegate Gdns HA3.

I`m posting from a bustrophedically-numbered 35-year-old cul-de-sac.
--
Ian J. Patterson
StrongARM RISC PC, WebsterXL, Messenger Pro
Old September 10th 04, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, John Rowland wrote:

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

Incidentally, i'm noting these down:

http://london.openguides.org/index.c...mbered_Streets

I think your page should include a section for "Triskaidekaphobic
Streets"

An excellent idea - go ahead and add it! There's an 'Edit this page' link
over on the right.

tom

--
The revolving disc of plagues is particularly fun. -- greengolux

Old September 10th 04, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

In message ,
Tom Anderson writes

[...]

The street I grew up on was the left hand half of a horseshoe-shaped
street. The other half of the horse-shoe was numbered normally (up to
where the two halves of the horseshoe meet), whilst our half was only
built on one side, so the numbers were consecutive. Twenty years later,
they built down the other half of the street, so the numbering is
bustrophedic. Ten years later still, they built two extra cul-de-sacs
off it, numbered in the same way. Five years later, they extended one of
the cul-de-sacs (no idea how that is numbered).

We lived in number 13.

Do I win anything?
Old September 15th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
at 19:25:31 on Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Tom Anderson
remarked:
Incidentally, i'm noting these down:

http://london.openguides.org/index.c...mbered_Streets

Someone reports:

Premier Place
2½ Devonshire Square
London EC2M 4BA

(Googling the postcode reveals loads of financial institutions at the
address).